Pea Protein powder

mythil

Hi guys.

It seems hemp protein is going up in price quite a bit while pea protein (which has double the listed amount of protein as hemp) is now half the price.

I'm not sure if they two are different between the UK and US (due to your food laws and ours) though I wanted to ask if anyone has tried it? Thinking of switching due to the price.

I am in the UK *points to tag and post* heh.

I really don't mind about the taste, really I don't think anyone buys protein powder for the taste (never found one that tasted good anyway) plus I mix mine with fruit and so on so it doesn't taste AS bad.

Rice, I don't want to eat too many carbs. I try to keep my carbs to one meal and one snack a day just because they go right to my gut which I have a hard time keeping off. The pea protein has less carbs, more protein and is about half the price of Hemp.

sorry!

Should have paid attention to that.

And that's fair enough, it's not that I buy the rice protein for the taste it's just that I found pea protein so gross that I would use a crap load of agave nectar or maple syrup to make it bareable ahha I'm just fussy, fair point with the ratios of carbs and proteins, the rice protein I get from the vegan section of myprotein.co.uk and it's 80 odd percent protein which is good enough for me

Hahaha Vega is the best tasting protein powder by far and its a quality mix of several proteins but its not cheap. Looks for deals and discounts, I know you can get some discounts off the main page here but its like 10% or something like that.

I like pea protein and hemp protein. I normally go with whatever I can get a deal on but I like to switch it up so I'm not always consuming the same thing all of the time.

-Dylan

Okay so my stuff arrived during the week and I had my first shake with it today.

Pea protein + fine ground oats + banana + Water....

It has to be the best tasting protein shake I've ever had, including the old flavored whey protein I used to have (before turning vegan).

It's like banana'ish porridge, sweet but not too sweet..

One thing I did find which annoyed me is an advert for vegan bodybuilding powder that said "Vegan diets are typically low in protein".. Says who?

To be fair most vegans I know have shockingly low levels of protein in their diets. Not helped by the fact that some pro-vegan literature you'll see seeks to make a virtue of this fact.

Regarding Bulkpowders, their customer service is terrible. Last few times I ordered it took ages to arrive & it's very difficult to get hold of them (they don't publish their phone number anywhere so I had to get hold of it on the grapevine). If you want decent cheap supplements & good service your best bet is http://www.ironscience.co.uk/.

One thing I did find which annoyed me is an advert for vegan bodybuilding powder that said "Vegan diets are typically low in protein".. Says who?

To be fair most vegans I know have shockingly low levels of protein in their diets. Not helped by the fact that some pro-vegan literature you'll see seeks to make a virtue of this fact.

Regarding Bulkpowders, their customer service is terrible. Last few times I ordered it took ages to arrive & it's very difficult to get hold of them (they don't publish their phone number anywhere so I had to get hold of it on the grapevine). If you want decent cheap supplements & good service your best bet is http://www.ironscience.co.uk/.

really? Mine arrived in two days

• 3 months later...
DON'T DO IT!!

Split-peas are a toxic species raw, like kidney beans. If you eat pea-protein powder you will get horrible, horrible gas!

Not true for all brands. Nutra Summa makes a bloat-free pea protein that actually tastes pretty darned good and tends to not give people the same gas issues that some other brands who cut corners on quality often do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yellow Pea Protein Isolate is the main protein used in many Vegan protein powders like Vega, Progressive, Proteins Plus etc. 28g in a 33 or so gram scoop is super high. I have read you should shoot for a ration of 70% yellow pea/20% brown rice and 10% hemp proteins to get a good amino acid profile. I love yellow pea and it does not give you gas. Sure Hemp is the best veg source in my opinion because of the profile and how its best for the body but also a very good choice is Pumpkin Seed Protein powder. Both it and hemp have lots of chlorophyll. Hemp is the least processed as well. Soy in most brands is the most heavily processed and I really think it inhibits the absorbtion of minerals and vitamins in the intestines. I use Now Sports Yellow Pea. It is the only one I have found in Canada. Unless you buy a product like Vega or Progressive Vegan Protein which already includes it.

To get a complete amino acid profile you must combine pea and rice. pea is low in methionine 0.82 where rice methionine is at 3.17. Both have a good level of leucine at 8.3-8.74 which there is a nice article on here about it writen by Derek Tresize.

• 3 weeks later...

Try truenutrition.com I have made two orders with them so far took 1 week to recieve. I custom blended pea, rice, sachi incha, and potatoe the last one with digestive enzymes and vitamins $9.88/lbs bought 4 lbs. and two flavor paks.