Advice on protein

Hello all,

I'm new here and have a couple of questions.

Could someone advice on proteins made of plants?

Preferably not based on soy as it acts like a female hormone in the human body. Also it seems i have a reaction to creatine.

Currently i take Wheybolic 60 protein and it seems to help, but if i try to go vegan everytime i don't have enough to support the body, i get tired, over-trained

and drop muscles.

And i can see the results because i log them everyday to my log journal at http://www.rawforce.net .

Thanks for the advice.

I suggest you do a little more research on Soy besides the ones put out by the dairy industry. I can share links later, but am on my phone right now and don't have access.

As for non-soy proteins, the obvious choice is Vega. If you are looking for cheaper proteins, go to your local health store and look for their "house" brands. They will most likely consist of pea,rice,hemp protein.

Thank you for the advice, i'll look up the Vega, and of course the cheaper versions as well. As for the soy, it's not from dairy industry, but from the movie "Food matters" and a couple others, they also were advocating against dairy as well as against soy.

Thanks for the advice once again.

olympian labs pea protein. goes great in oats, cous cous, peanut butter. yummmm. im addicted.. i dont like it mixed with water tho like it better with my food. much cheaper than vega, like 25 bucks for 805 grams, go onto amazon... also "explore asian" black bean spaghetti throw on some peanut butter...mmmm

Preferably not based on soy as it acts like a female hormone in the human body. .

It is amazing how persistent this myth is.

yeah i agree, it seems to really scare people even thoough there is no negative effects from soy protein, some non vegan pro bodybuilders mix it with their whey powder because they think it has such good benefits. (note: and im not implying we should look to pro bb'ers for health advice before anyone says anything )

olympian labs pea protein. goes great in oats, cous cous, peanut butter. yummmm. im addicted.. i dont like it mixed with water tho like it better with my food. much cheaper than vega, like 25 bucks for 805 grams, go onto amazon... also "explore asian" black bean spaghetti throw on some peanut butter...mmmm

Thanks a lot, got it from Amazon. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I second Sunwarrior. They make a brown rice protein as well as a Warrior Blend with pea, hemp, and cranberry protein. It's a great company that doesn't use GMO or add filler, and all of their ingredients are raw, Vegan, and Gluten Free. If you're working on gaining muscle, pea protein is the highest plant based protein in BCAAs.

I have been doing 50/50 blend of pea and rice my next order I'm going to go with a blend of 43.5%pea, 43.5%rice, potatoe10%, 5%glutmine with digestive enzyme unflavored with a flavor pak on the side.

Check this place out http://truenutrition.com/c-54-proteins.aspx Its cheap if you buy like 5lbs at a time the shipping cost is the same from 1-6 lbs so the more you buy the cheaper your total cost per lbs. Kinda fun experimenting with different mixes and you can work toward a good amino profile. Derick Tresize just wrote a nice article on the benefits of leucine for muscle growth and all of the plant based proteins are very compatible with whey in this amino between 8-9mg. Just checked Hemp is low in this only 3.47mg also I dont like the texture and taste of hemp very gritty.

Cook and eat quinoa (8 grams per cup) for your protein source, its' one of the main foods I turn to. I also enjoy adding flax meal (6 grams per Tablespoon) to recipes I cook. A quick Internet search will turn up many plants that are loaded with protein. You might have to mix and match, could easily get your required intake.

I agree Stoumi but when trying to cut its important to keep protein up and only cut carbs to lose fat and keep muscle. Trying to get your protein from veggies means your also getting lots of carbs, which is o.k. unless your dropping body fat. Some cases like myself with a slow metabolism carbs go right to fat others may be able to tolerate more carbs in there diet.

You know I didn't even consider the total carbs. Eating how I do, I don't fear the carbs, but I would like to attempt to keep the muscle and strength gains I have made, possibly dropping the carbs a bit. It might be time to look into something.

I agree Stoumi but when trying to cut its important to keep protein up and only cut carbs to lose fat and keep muscle. Trying to get your protein from veggies means your also getting lots of carbs, which is o.k. unless your dropping body fat. Some cases like myself with a slow metabolism carbs go right to fat others may be able to tolerate more carbs in there diet.