Akron Ohio here.

oldlunk

Good morning everyone

My wife turned me on to this site to convince me that I dont need meat to be a bodybuilder. My wife being 100% vegan my biggest argument with her was my high protein (150-200g) per day requirement. So I'm basically here to see what you guys eat. With some searching I found that its possible and really not that hard. I'm not saying I will go vegan tomorrow but I am defiantly going much more plant based. My next protein powder purchase will be plant based and I am starting to replace meat with other options. Red meat and chicken will be easy to replace but dairy and seafood a little harder for me. I watched many videos and recently forks over knives. As I approach 50 years old I would not mind improving my risk of heart disease and cancer before I have issues. I never was a hunter and love animals if I had to do my own killing I would have been vegan along time ago. I guess out of site out of mind but my wife has really opened my eyes to things. I have to give her credit she is a strong advocate for your causes Mostly animal cruelty.

Thanks for all the help and I admire all your dedication for Helping save animals.

Bob

Edited by oldlunk

hey Bob, awesome to hear that your looking into veganism, i was the biggest sceptic ever till i actually tried it and i wont ever go back now! have a look around here, everyone is friendly and willing to help! good luck with everything!

p.s earthlings is a good documentary if your into watching them

mike

Mrbear I just got done watching earthlings and all I can say is WOW. Now I have a problem I have to figure out what I'm going to do with the meat left in the fridge. I cant eat it, I dont want to through it away since an animal had to die for it and I'm unprepared for my lunch for work. I guess my protein will have to come from whey powder till I get home from work.

Welcome to VBB, great to have you here. I admire your openness and look forward to reading more of your journey into a less meaty lifestyle.

Earthlings is a tough movie to watch, I watched it with my wife and I hate to say it but it had little impact on her. She still loves her rack of lamb, oh well. Good luck with everything ~ you are in great hands here. You can definately be very strong without meat, have no fear about that. MF

• 2 months later...

Hi Bob,

First of all welcome to the forums!

After more than 26 years of eating animal products I became more and more intrigued by the vegan lifestyle. I already listened to certain vegan (straight edge) hardcore bands and thanks to Facebook I saw what humans were doing to the animals on a massive scale, daily. Also my significant other was the first to make the transition to a new lifestyle and I followed a couple of months later. I had no reason to keep eating meat, except for the taste. It just wasn't worth it anymore. Besides all the pain and suffering of the animals, I realized that is what doing my body more harm than good and is also bad for the environment. Just to be clear: I became vegan for the animals in the first place and for myself second.

So I finished all my leftover meat, eggs and whey protein shakes and after the last scoop I claimed vegan on the 30th of May 2013. In the mean time I read up on vegan bodybuilding, which is also made it easier for me to fully drop all animal products. I now knew that it WAS possible to maintain a bodybuilding lifestyle without animal products.

Here's a small list of the things I eat and drink a lot, to give you an idea. I consume 1.5gr per pound of bodyweight, so about 270gr a day.

- Soy milk

- Soy protein powder (I'm still looking for a reasonable priced hemp powder)

- Fruit

- Veggies

- Tempeh

- Tofu

- Peanut butter

- Nuts and seeds

- Hummus

- Beans

- Quinoa

- Rice

- Noodles

- Bread

- Immitation minced meat (made out of soy)

- Immitation shoarma (called "karma")

- Immitation chicken

- Potatoe chips

I hope I helped you out a bit, otherwise just ask!

Welcome Bob!

Good luck on your transition to a plant-based nutrition program.

I spent a lot of time in Akron. I'm originally from Geneva, OH; went to Kent State after I got out of the Navy back in 1995, and just prior to moving to Atlanta in 99' I worked for the downtown Akron YMCA.

Where do you train? I remember a hardcore gym there called Bodybuilders, I think Pep Wahl owned it. There was another place in Akron I trained at for a while called the Firm, I think.

-Scott