Newbie - Advise on Nutrition

Hello everyone,

My name is Jay, 30 yrs old, I turned vegetarian about 5 months ago, I used to train Muay Thai on and off for 6 years and recently I stopped training Muay Thai and took up cross-fit two months ago, I have always weighed between 120-140 lbs, since I turned vegetarian and doing cross-fit I have gained strength and now weigh 125-130 lbs, I would like to gain atleast 20 lbs before the end of the year and I'm planning to add weight training to my cross-fit regimen. One thing I need your guidance on is diet, I have no clue in that regards, right now my intake is mostly carbs, I have ~100g of protein per day comprised of pea protien shakes and cliff organic protein bars. I have eggs a few times a week, greek yogurt sometimes and almond milk for my shakes. Any advise on how I should alter my diet to gain weight? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Jay

How many calories do you eat? The main thing would be to increase the calories in my opinion if you're looking to put on weight. As for nutrients, you can get them from various things, so eating various fruits and vegetables helps.

Yeah there are a hundred plant-based foods you can eat and increase your protein while getting also getting needed nutrients, fiber and carbs. Search around this forum and also just google a bit you can get charts of what's in which foods.

-Dylan

I'm not sure how many calories I consume as of now, I try to eat 5-6 meals a day, my protien intake from shakes alone is about 100-130 gms a day. Adding beans and nuts/seeds, it could be upto 150 gms. I'm trying to increase my calorie intake and also started lifting weights along with cross-fit training.

There are lots of programs free online to track your calories and other nutritional info, you just have to be willing to input everything that you are consuming. Do a quick google search and maybe see if you can find one that will be of use for what you are looking to measure.