What are your hobbies? Does your strength come in handy?

Vegan Aspirant

So for me it is without a doubt, dancing! In particular house and b-boying! Although for the time being I'm just concentrating on house, simply because house is life! Once I'm a little leaner and more flexible I might take up b-boying again. I hope to one day come within a 2 mile radius of b-girl Narumi (my favorite b girl). Her agility, strength and speed is simply amazing:

How about you? What are your hobbies? do you find that body-building improves your effort in other physical hobbies?

Sounds nice! I only do hockey and soccer every Wednesday when I'm "forced" to "coach" (although kind of hard to coach when you can barely hit the ball) and yeah all the running back and forth is more than plenty for me. Unfortunately muscle won't do - all that mind-muscle coordination in hockey/soccer strategy meh! But props to those who make it seem like an effortless ballet. Who knew there was that much to a ball and a net ha!

Oh yeah watch in the honorable mentions kanami and myw doing synchronized I dont know what you call it, something inbetween 1990's and air flares since they rotate between 1 and 2 hands? Its great though.

Photography... it helps a bit when I have 2 cameras around my neck, both with long lenses. My right arm always gets sore from holding one of the cameras for hours, but can't imagine how it would feel if I didn't workout.

A long time ago, the reason I first started weight lifting was because I really wanted to be better at rock climbing. In the end, logistically speaking, rock climbing was too complicated (too far to drive and no one to go with) so I gave it up. I stuck with the gym tho, even if there have been highs and lows in my commitment level.

I love Narumi! Have you seen this
There are a couple of dope lady dancers in this. The honorable mentions are excellent definitely watch them as well.

-Dylan

Yeah I love that set b-girl AT threw at the all dude-crew, so fresh, so energetic and best of all: sheer style! Would you happen to know which battle that was? Been youtubing it for some time and can't seem to find it.

B-girl narumi is sheer power and attitude and I love her for that! Her sister, Ayumi, however is more about the foot/floorwork which is something I've come to appreciate more and more with time, because this requires a different type of strength and stamina. I used to think toprock and foot-work came second and third to power/tricks, but it's foundation- simple as. without it, you just have fancy acrobatics which is nice, but not dance. Also b-girl Michan (who's supposedly off the game now- major loss to the world of b-boying!) is really something else. She's the perfect merge of Narumi (power, force) and Ayumi (minimalism and clean footwork). Check her out (she's comes in as the first breaker to respond to Urban force's initial throw-off)... Check that slow-mo headspin... Out of this >&%%#" world!

Photography... it helps a bit when I have 2 cameras around my neck, both with long lenses. My right arm always gets sore from holding one of the cameras for hours, but can't imagine how it would feel if I didn't workout.

A long time ago, the reason I first started weight lifting was because I really wanted to be better at rock climbing. In the end, logistically speaking, rock climbing was too complicated (too far to drive and no one to go with) so I gave it up. I stuck with the gym tho, even if there have been highs and lows in my commitment level.

Yeah see that's the thing. You don't necessarily realise the affect of weight-lifting in your dday-to-day errands and/or hobbies. I know I didn't, until I had to move and lift heavy furniture and luggage. I was at the point of failure and just couldn't be bothered to use my arms any more (they were pretty sore at this point), so I went down in a dead lift position (without realising it) just took this heavy-ass piece of luggage (maybe 35 kg), set off with my legs and thighs and out of nowhere just threw it over my head! I never knew the sensation of a standing planck up until that moment! I seriously think I might have done major damage to my body had I not had the core muscle/strength to pull that lift off, because I was already pretty tired from 2 hours of lifting and transporting furniture.

So yeah I definitely think those cameras would be causing you hurt/pain if you didn't have the stamina/strength to do for hours on end. Bodybuilding is truly a life-style.

My hobbies are soccer and guitar..

Weight training has only helped me for soccer. Faster sprinting, stronger defence, and stamina.

I guess it affects my guitar by reducing my practice time haha

I noticed you wrote sprinting and not running. That's interesting, because more muscle mass gives you better explosiveness, but the added weight makes you slower in stamina related sports like running. do you find it slows you during regular running?

I play in a band that uses a lot of gear. I suppose it has been beneficial for slinging cabinets and amplifiers around. I wish I had been training when I toured all the time and had to do it every day.

Not a hobby, but it's made slinging kegs and cases of beer around at work easier.

I guess hobbies would be planting stuff. Trees and gardens. For planting trees yes. My back got really bad for a few years from an injury and took a long time to recover. Since doing deadlifts my back has got a lot better. Shoveling out the holes for the roots is the hardest part. You also have to go shovel some good soil and lug it around in the wheelbarrow. I'm on a break right now though because of an ulcer but had to do some snow shoveling and didn't have my normal back pain from it.

I like planting trees the best because it's only a little bit of work and you get so much food from them over the years. To me apples fresh from the backyard are SOOO much better than the ones you buy in the store.

A couple Sundays back I helped my in-laws move. Packing the truck was me and two other older guys. Unloading was just me and one other. I had no trouble lifting anything and actually was able to pick up a lot of the smaller furniture and move it by myself. Pulling hand-trucks loaded with boxes up stairs is very similar to doing cleans, only a bit slower. It ended up being a 12 hour day, including drive time, so I was tired by the end of it. However, I woke up the next morning and didn't feel like I had done anything strenuous at all. This is the first time in my life that I've moved that much furniture and not felt like crap the next day. At no point in my life do I consider myself having been out of shape, although I've never been as strong as I have been for the last year.

A couple Sundays back I helped my in-laws move. Packing the truck was me and two other older guys. Unloading was just me and one other. I had no trouble lifting anything and actually was able to pick up a lot of the smaller furniture and move it by myself. Pulling hand-trucks loaded with boxes up stairs is very similar to doing cleans, only a bit slower. It ended up being a 12 hour day, including drive time, so I was tired by the end of it. However, I woke up the next morning and didn't feel like I had done anything strenuous at all. This is the first time in my life that I've moved that much furniture and not felt like crap the next day. At no point in my life do I consider myself having been out of shape, although I've never been as strong as I have been for the last year.

Heh! That's one of the perks of strength training- it actually serves it purpose best for things like moving.And with relative quick restitution time :-P