Spraining/tearing ligaments

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Mariko ~
Rabbit

Spraining/tearing ligaments

#1 Postby Mariko ~ » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:07 am

Hi,

I have an issue with very easily spraining my joints and tearing ligaments. I train in martial arts competitively and have done so the last 5 years.

I have sprained both ankles in this time period (my right ankle twice, the last time being only 2 weeks ago and I am almost certain I tore ligaments - will get results tomorrow), and I had ACL surgery a year and a half ago after completely tearing my ACL in class one day. I have also dislocated my shoulder a couple of times.

I am really flexible and was always spraining my ankles, wrists, thumbs, etc when I was little in gymnastics class.

My concern is that many people in my martial arts class blame my injuries on being vegan. It is HIGHLY, HIGHLY irritating. I know what I eat is healthy and conducive to my training. Plus, I have always been prone to injury long before I was vegan.

I was just wondering if anyone else has similar issues, and also what can I say in response to the people who are blaming my vegan diet? I am a healthy vegan and it is infuriating that people believe I am lacking something in my diet and thus writing veganism off as silly.

Also, any tips on preventing injury? I have been on deck for my black belt the last 2.5 years and I just keep getting injured.

Thanks for any feedback!
M

Mariko ~
Rabbit

Re: Spraining/tearing ligaments

#2 Postby Mariko ~ » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:12 pm

No suggestions? Really? =(

kenny.f
Rabbit

#3 Postby kenny.f » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:47 pm

Hello Mariko,
Ya… I have friends at work that give me crap about everything, they said… “You need to eat some meat Kenny” even if I stub my toe on something.
Being vegan will have no real effect on being more prone to injuries, unless you are starving yourself or something like that.
I took a Kinesiology class last fall. It's basically the study of sports injury, treatment, and prevention.
I’d suggest you take a similar class. First you need to figure out what you are really hurting, then why/how, then treat it… and when it’s all healed up how to prevent it from happening again.
Kenny

Mariko ~
Rabbit

#4 Postby Mariko ~ » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:19 pm

Thanks Kenny! A class like that would be helpful for sure.

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”