Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Do you ever crave it?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:57 am 
Rabbit

The taste of meat I mean... the other day I had some grilled falafel that was prepared on a grill with left over grease from kebab meat- and while I made sure to ask the cook to place my falafels on some tin foil, so that it wouldn't come in touch with meat fat- I ended up tasting meat fat anyways...

...And DAMN did that taste good! I realise this is an admission that doesn't go too well with my veggie convictions but it's the truth. Because unlike the few vegetarians I know I didn't become vegetarian for health reasons or simply because I didn't like the taste of meat. In fact quite the opposite- I primarily became vegetarian for moral reasons- my conscience just couldn't deal with me consuming living concious creatures.

Lol I kind of feel like a vampire fighting my carnivore urges (much like those "good guy" vampires that lay off human beings and feed on rats instead- except my "rats" are veggies haha).

For a moment there I seriously questioned my will and purpose for becoming a vegetarian. I guess I still can't quite believe that I haven't touched meat in a month and a week and on a subconcious level just think this is a temporary arrangement. I am a spontaneous person known to make important decisions in the spur of moment, so my close friends still remain undecided as to whether or not I can go through with this new green life style. In fact one of my closest friends who knows me the best didn't comment on my vegetarian transformation at all and when I asked her about it, she just said "Let's just wait and see". While that was kind of demotivating for me to hear I understand why she would react that way.

How do you guys deal with this, other than watching videos on animal cruelty? Like when you're on the run and don't have time or the equipment to surf the net? Because I found that constantly thinking about animal cruelty- while effective- is too time consuming when you're on the run and shopping, so what I do instead is sign off mentally and just read the ingredient list on whatever I'm buying and if it says eggs, animal fat or whatever, I just put it aside and quickly walk over to the next item of interest and that's pretty much my strategy- not think about why I have to avoid it, just do it without any introspective analysis. And it does work until situations like the one last night occurred... Then I feel utterly weak.

How long did it take you guys to be indifferent/dislike the taste of meat? Or does it ever happen? Is it a constant hurdle/ "inner struggle"?

Post subject: Re: Do you ever crave it?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:13 pm 
Rabbit

I've been a vegan for sixteen years and I still miss eggs. Not meat, really, which is kind of odd because I ate it so much.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:45 pm 
Manatee

I was vegetarian.. then vegan purely for ethical reasons. But I grew up an omnivore so I know that meat and cheese taste good.

But I guess for me the visions left in my head from the cruelty videos I've seen were enough .. I seriously can't think about meat or cheese without those visions haunting me. I feel overwhelmingly sad at Costco when I pass the dairy section.

In my mind, supporting the abuse, torture, suffering and finally killing of an animal for pleasure (ie. taste) is no better than supporting the abuse, torture, suffering and finally killing of an animal for pleasures such as a fur coat, or dog fighting or animal crush videos. To me, there is absolutely no ethical difference.

Fortunately I don't 'have' to eat meat. And I have discovered many new food loves. So it's all good.

I'm trying to cut out processed food now, which means I no longer need to read a lot of labels. I feel better and healthier for that. Trying to stick to mostly whole foods like grains, legumes, fruits, veggies and seeds.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:54 pm 
Manatee

First year as a Vegan, yes. I missed the flavor. Mostly because you are used to it, your mouth can't recognize some flavors in vegetables.
After this first year never again. And honestly, I don't miss it at all.

About your question, how to deal with it, for me it came naturally. I try to be ethical in every aspect of my life, and by knowing that where animal based products come from I don't have the need to constantly remind myself of the cruelty.

I know that my 'not eating meat' doesn't help directly any animal, if I don't eat that dead cow other person will eat it, or they will throw it away to keep the prices up. But that is a matter of showing everyone that one can live without cruelty and that a huge sum of people are already trying to change the way the world is. I believe that not now, not even in the near future, but someday everyone will wake up because of the little actions and choices we are making today. That is my motivation, not the cruelty that exists today, but the hope that someday there will be no more.

Today, seven years later, no craves for animal based products. =)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:43 pm 
Rabbit

Maybe about once a month it crosses my mind that some mc donalds would be good. Was always a sucker for double cheeseburgers. Can't even have the fries there either because they are prepared with beef fat. I've been on a bland diet for the past month due to health reasons and I've really been craving polish. It's like someone else said. As you walk through those aisles you can just feel the despair. It's hard to watch people plopping it in their carts without a second thought. It's been a few years since I've eaten any meat. I think I didn't have any slip ups because of my convictions. Eating a bland diet is worse. Anything that has any flavor whatsoever I have to pass it up or just longingly gaze at it on the shelf. It's funny that I cheat more on my bland diet when I'm making my ulcer worse and risking getting stomach cancer. I guess I care more about the animals than I care about myself. I just can't really justify the torture and slaughter of animals simply because of flavor.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:29 am 
Site Admin

I don't think you have to go through some kind of mantra or watch X amounts of animal cruelty videos, like a punishment. Rather, just think about what your ultimate goal is, what kind of person you want to be. You are the one responsible for your decisions. So are you going to do what you think is right, or ignore that and do what you think is wrong? That's the bottom line for me. You can make yourself sick with those animal cruelty videos, but food products are so far removed from their origin, I don't know what it would do.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:32 pm 
Rabbit

All very interesting replies and certainly some food for thought. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who has these cravings. Today I bought pizza with actual cheese and had some chocolate chip buns with milk powder of some kind. Eggs I've steered away from completely (except this one time at my friends birth day) but other than that I still come back to milk, milk powder or butter in some way or form. While I am not satisfied with this, I am a vegetarian for the time being and *not* a vegan- and I accept that, because my ultimate goal is veganism (well preferably organic at least 50 % raw veganism) and this is my comfort.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:58 am 
Rabbit

Alright I've set a different goal now- the moment my vegan fitness apparel arrives I will transition to full on veganism. Figure I can't wear it if I don't live it. Never underestimate the power of punking yourself to results.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:44 am 
Manatee

Lol,
good motivation!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:37 pm 
Manatee

post pics when you have the apparel.. lol. I still haven't gotten any tho I really would like a hoodie that says 'Gorilla Army'.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:31 pm 
Manatee

Cravings are natural. Any time you feel a craving, remind yourself why you became vegan in the first place. For me, it is for the animals. I put on 30 seconds of a documentary, and BAM! those cravings are gone!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:20 pm 
Rabbit

stcalico wrote:
post pics when you have the apparel.. lol. I still haven't gotten any tho I really would like a hoodie that says 'Gorilla Army'.

Lol you know it! Man I'm sooo going to be showing off my veganism to folks, especially to the juiced up guys at my gym hahah.

Gorilla army? Lol I think I get it, but just in case I don't, explain to me why "Gorilla army" :-p

@Compassion: I think once my home-situation is a little more stable and he vegan diet has become a more natural part of my daily planning (grocery shopping, how to prepare for nights out with friends, how to respond to dinner invites and all that) it will be easier for me and I won't have to constantly think about animals having their skin ripped or living under shit conditions in slaughter houses.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:04 pm 
Manatee

Vegan Aspirant wrote:
Gorilla army? Lol I think I get it, but just in case I don't, explain to me why "Gorilla army" :-p

Well my conjecture only is that Gorillas=Vegans. And that the army part is referring to the fact that number of vegans is increasing (ie. I've seen numbers suggesting there has been an increase of like 50% in last 4 years - most of those converting are in the younger generation). So I like to think we are building an army and we're gonna take over the world.. hehe. :D

So yah, I want that shirt dammit. I just don't know where to get it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:28 pm 
Rabbit

Yay! Hopefully that exponential growth will continue and eventually the vegan diet will be dominant! I conversed with the sushi guy about their veggie clientel and he told me more and more youngsters (i.e. prepubescents) are going green, which was pretty heart warning:-) I thought gorillas- although generally herbivores - would have their "meat on" every now and then (sometimes in rather brutal ways by going cannibalistic and slaughtering one of their own and consuming him/her alive)?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:43 pm 
Manatee

I suspect you are thinking of chimpanzees.. they don't kill their own that I've heard, but on the rare occasion they hunt, kill and consume other smaller monkey species. They show that in the Disney movie 'Chimpanzee. Beautiful nature movie btw.