Bulking and Cutting

Daywalker

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good post Daywalker!!! You have written in very well and understandable language.What I want to ask is I hate waiting 48 hours to work on the muscle groups, instead I just wait 24 hours. I heard it is counter productive because muscles need time to heal but If I drink casein protein or muscle milk, would it okay to work the same muscle groups everyday?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been losing fat and putting a bit of muscle on lately.

I havn't been down to 15% BF in well over 2 yrs.

I am currently 19% .

When do you think is the appropiate time to stop cutting and bulking up again?

I was told under 10% but I am currently aiming for when I am 12-13%.

Or have I got this all ass backwards?

how many or for how long?

I am still confused over my cardio needs. I'm working out twice a week and told to powerwalk cardio everyday (heart rate 130bpm), but it doesnt seem to be working. current bf is 14%, trying to get down to 10%. Can someone suggest an alternative? Thanks

What does "working out" mean? Lifting weights? Try doing this 3 x per week and REDUCE your cardio from everyday to 2 -3 times per week. However do 20 - 25 mins of HIIT training not powerwalking.

Look up HIIT as there is loads of info on it but that will do the job and with a good diet you'll go from 14 to 10% in 4 - 5 weeks easy.

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I just want to say a huge thank you for this post, Daywalker.

Being both new to the vegan lifestyle, and lifting in general, I was looking for parameters on how to cut properly on a vegan diet, and now I have a great reference! (I definitely need to start by losing fat ...)

Again, I am totally excited to be starting this new phase of fitness, and I'm glad to have found this board to share with. I only hope I have the patience, determination and perseverance to reach the goals I have set for myself.

Sorry, rambling I know ...

Thanks again!

• 6 months later...

I'm LFRV (Low fat, raw vegan) and just started my cutting cycle a little more than a month ago. I'm always open to peoples opinions. I'd like to know if there is anyone else out there who is raw as well?

I eat lots of fruit, starting my day with 2 apples before going to the gym for cardio wearing a 30# weighted vest, and then I lift (yes, I combine them because it works for me). I make gains and continue to break PR's every week! Then I come home and make a big bowl of ice cream (bananas and another fruit of choice). For lunch I will eat a salad with a homemade dressing of mango & red bell pepper. Another snack will be more fruit. And dinner is a big salad with a dressing of mango & avocado. That's pretty much what I eat. I change the fruit up a bit depending on what's in season and at the farmer's market.

• 5 months later...

Hey guys. I've been reading some of the posts in this thread. Good advice and lots of knowledge.

I've been trying to drop body fat in every possible way since December 2013, but nothing have worked so far.

I've tried (but not simultaneously) all of this:

-Intermittent Fasting (16h fast - 8 h feed)

-Low fat/high carb (little to no grains or flours, mostly beans and sweet potatoes for starches and fresh fruits and veggies either in salads or smoothies)

-Dr. McDougall's starch solution

-Dr. Graham 80/10/10

Nothing has really worked so far. My main fat accumulation is around the waist. I'm half endo/mesomorph.

As for training, I've been having my workouts done by a vegan PT in order to burn fat as a main goal, but again, no noticeable results (December 2013 to February 2014 was the most 'dramatic' change but after that, my body fat has been resistant). We've tried several reps/series combinations, heavy weights and light weights, etc.

My stats are:

Male, 42 years.

Height: 5'10" (1,80 meters)

Weight: 175 pounds (83 Kilos)

Bodyfat: around 18-20% (not measured, just an approximate)

What do you guys think I should do?

My current meal plan is (typically):

Breakfast: 1 cup of green smoothie (see dinner) and either 1 cup of uncooked oats soaked overnight with water and 1 cup of almond or soy milk OR fruit (2-4 bananas, or 2 cups of cantaloupe, or a few peaches, or watermelon). I try to have oats on lifting days and fruit on off (cardio) days.

Lunch: 1,5 cups of raw or steamed broccoli with 1 cup of some kind of beans or tofu.

Snack (pre workout): 5-6 dates or a green apple or 20 almonds

Dinner (post workout): green smoothie with 1,5 cups of broccoli, 2 cups of romaine, 1 banana or 3 pineapple slices, 1 cup of almond or soy milk, (a tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder if using bananas) and 2 cups of water (makes about 50 oz. or 1,5 liters of smoothie, of which I have only 32 ounces or 0,8 liters)

Total calories (according to my fitness pal): around 1800-2000

Water: about 0.8 gallons or 3 liters

My current workout plan:

x4 days

4-6 excercises per muscle group (25 reps for chest, legs and back and 15 reps for bis, tris and shoulders) plus 40 mins slow steady cardio at the end

x 1 day:

1 hour long run (about 10 kilometers)

2 days off.

What do you guys think I should change?

What do you think of macros?

Am I overtraining?

Thanks in advance for you input! I really appreciate your thought since I don't really know what to do to progress!

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I've found that eating smaller frequent meals (on average every 2 hours) has helped me shed fat much more than intermittent fasting. IF can be very stressful on the body. Even if I'm having a considerable calorie deficit and working out 5x a week (3x lifting, 2x spinning on alternate days) I have not felt lack of energy.

It's important to notice the quality of the food though. I'm focusing on alkalising foods like lots of greens (trust me, LOTS of greens) and quinoa.

For anyone interested in improving their diet i recommend Brendan Brazier guidelines (check his book The thrive diet, it has helped me a lot)

I always make a small meal before exercising, even if it's cardio day. I find that if I keep a regular schedule of meals, I'm able to maintain a bigger caloric deficit without losing energy, in the end, the deficit will take the fat away, no need to be worried about keeping an empty stomach to lose fat.

• 11 months later...
I've found that eating smaller frequent meals (on average every 2 hours) has helped me shed fat much more than intermittent fasting. IF can be very stressful on the body. Even if I'm having a considerable calorie deficit and working out 5x a week (3x lifting, 2x spinning on alternate days) I have not felt lack of energy.

It's important to notice the quality of the food though. I'm focusing on alkalising foods like lots of greens (trust me, LOTS of greens) and quinoa.

For anyone interested in improving their diet i recommend Brendan Brazier guidelines (check his book The thrive diet, it has helped me a lot)

I always make a small meal before exercising, even if it's cardio day. I find that if I keep a regular schedule of meals, I'm able to maintain a bigger caloric deficit without losing energy, in the end, the deficit will take the fat away, no need to be worried about keeping an empty stomach to lose fat.

hi, i heard somewhere about this method. tell me please how many portions do you have per day?

• 2 years later...

Hello, i am new here and been vegan for 10 years now! ☺

I am asking you to help me with my macros. So my macros are:

Age 28

Weight 60g

Height 181

Body fat 20% (didnt measure for 100% accuarate)

So i wabt to build muscle but i think i need to burn my fat storage first. So what you think for me bulking or cutting? My second thing is protein and fat % i read somewhere that you dont need that much protein (1g per b.w.), someone says you need to consume A LOT of protein. What is true? So can you please advise me?