Robert's Push-up/Sit-up Log

There was a time during my life when I did a certain amount of push-ups and sit-ups for 839 consecutive days. I did these everywhere and never missed a day. Some of the funny places I recall doing them were along side the highway, at the Sundance Film Festival, on friend's floors at parties, you name it, I did push-ups and sit-ups there.

I HAD to do them each day, and I wasn't always the best at doing them all in the morning so I had to do them wherever I was, if I was traveling, at school, at friend's house, or on the side of the highway!

I was known for this practice by my friends and by even some strangers who routinely saw me doing them at a certain friends house or something like that. I didn't do crazy amounts, it was just like 100 of each a day, sometimes much more, other times maybe a little less, but the whole point of the practice was to teach myself to be consistent and to increase my work ethic and will power.

It worked wonders, and I was able to achieve so many other non-fitness related goals, just knowing that I had not missed a day for over 2 years. You may think it sounds easy, but we're talking EVERYDAY here, those days when you might be sick, when you're stressed, when your injured or hurt, when you're traveling, when you're staying at someone else's house, when lots of other stuff was going on..........I never missed a day.

On my 20th birthday, I decided to end my streak and it was a wonderful relief! After 2 years it became a chore and it kept me up late, because I had to do a pre-determined amount and when I was stressed, tired, ill, or whatever, it was hard to do 200 of each that day, but it was on my schedule so I HAD to do it.

Was a I a little obsessive? Yeah, maybe. But I learned so much about myself from it.

So, I've decided to start again. I've noticed myself getting lazy in many aspects of my life (5 unfinished books 'writing not reading', a month off from weight training recently, a half-effort nutritional program, and more unfinished projects than I can count).

I think that making myself do this again will help keep me on track.

What about recovery? Don't worry, I'm not going wear my chest or abs out. I just do sets of 20-50 at a time and that is pretty easy for me, just like walking (it's a mental practice, not physical for me). So I'll still train chest and abs the same as I normally would.

Today is the first day back, let's see how long I can keep the streak. Just something I need to prove to myself to improve myself and I'll post it each day as well.

Today July 26, 2005 I did 200 push-ups and 200 sit-ups.

Today I did 100 push-ups and 100 sit-ups. It's not a lot, just something I want to make myself do each day to keep myself consistent.

I don't think I'll post everyday here because the thread will be a million pages long, but I'll share some totals at the end of the week. I'll also share stories of funny places I do them in, if that becomes the case.

• 4 months later...

Just an update for those wondering.....I still haven't missed a day of doing push-ups and sit-ups since around August 12th. I don't do a whole lot so it doesn't make me "tired" or fatigued. I just do it to keep something in my life very consistent. It helps with other things, even silly stuff like washing dishes. I never leave dishes in the sink and wash them as soon as I finish using them. I feel that keeping something constant in life helps out some other things. It only takes a few minutes a day but it feels good to know that it something I stuck with and accomplished for the day.

-Thin Thin Push-up Him

Not to change your new goals but since you've done 40 chins straight I think you might getting close to one arm chins. And those are really impressive I think. It would be really cool to see a video of you on this site doing a one arm chin sometime in the future.

Robert,

Good on you, man for doing push ups regularly.

I do regular pushups and I do what I call 'halves', or knee push ups. With those, I vary hand position to isolate pecs, triceps, or front delts.

There is also a different kind of push up called a 'Hindu push up', or 'Dand.' It looks really tripped out, but when you accurately perform the movement, it is an amazingly effective exercise.

'Vegan Power'

Steve

• 1 month later...

Just for the record, I still haven't missed a day of doing push-ups and sit-ups since August 12th. I don't do a whole lot so it's not taxing on my body, but it just puts something consistent in my life and helps me with other things.

-Rob

That's really cool. People say I have a totally obsessive personality too.

But do you know what?

"Obsession" is a word that lazy people use to describe the Dedicated.

Organisation and discipline in all aspects of your life keeps you on track towards your goals.

Harr yes! This is often the case. I often find this true in other scenarios, like negativity or negative self-image. You won't improve if you are 100% positive. You have to be able to appraise what needs improving in order to improve: IE you need to be negative about some aspects in order to realise that they are in need of correction. Someone who is totally positive about everything will never improve. So when someone tells me I have a negative self-image, I tend to think that really they have a deluded self-image, and I am just realistic.

Harr yes! This is often the case. I often find this true in other scenarios, like negativity or negative self-image. You won't improve if you are 100% positive. You have to be able to appraise what needs improving in order to improve: IE you need to be negative about some aspects in order to realise that they are in need of correction. Someone who is totally positive about everything will never improve. So when someone tells me I have a negative self-image, I tend to think that really they have a deluded self-image, and I am just realistic.

Definitely. I've found that constant self-appraisal helps me to keep on learning from my mistakes and improve : )