Cannot stop eating unhealthy stuff (candy) – halp!

off-topic/I know that this topic occurs frequently on health forums, so if there is a well informative thread about this already, please just direct me to it./end off-topic

As long as I remember, I always been a sucker for unhealthy stuff, such as candy, cookies, chocolate bars, nougat, sodas (especially coke). I'm aware what this kind of sh*t does to me, been obese (weighed in at 145kg September 2009, current weight (fluctuates) is 78-81kg April 2013). As well too much of sugars cause inflammations, which in turn cause my stomach and intestines to go haywire (which will lower the intake of well needed vitamins and such) – and to forget how it triggers headaches, migraines and speeds up my ADHD – and of course, completely destroys the success I have with running, cycling and strength training. Yet, I cannot resist. I can keep myself clean for about 8 days, then this occurs:

I've tried to battle this with different approaches; food and training journal, raw food, eating on defined times (I've kept this one, currently eating in such order: pre-breakfast, breakfast, snack, lunch/dinner, snack), 1-day a week with unhealthy foods (it doesn't work), tried with zinc supplements. It's not as I only eat crappy stuff, eat healthy too, a lot of fresh fruits, beans, lentils, sprouts, veggies, dried soyproducts, tofu, nuts and seeds, different vegan dairy-products etc – I eat a lot of healthy food – and sh*tty stuff too. How do you plan your food intake? I will try to eat 80-90% raw food starting end of month again (this helped me quite a bit back in the fat days, worried poorly planned will cause lack of energy, hence no success at strength training).

My main focus regarding training is long-distance running (will turn into 60/40, running/strength).

Currently hit the gym for strength training 3 times a week, running 3-4 (at least one hill-training and one speed-interval + strength w body-weight exercises) times a week (sometimes swimming or cycling instead of a running session) – and regular everyday activity, such as walk to workplace (2x 30-40min, 4-6 days a week) and yoga/body-weight exercise two times per day; push-ups, crunches, gym-ball lift etc). Do I have to reconsider the amount of training?

Have you tried increasing your protein intake? You need protein to fill you. Once you feel full you won't have the desire to eat so many unhealthy foods. I normally drink a protein shake after my workout and one at night because I am usually super hungry at night and if I don't eat protein I tend to over eat.

Have you tried increasing your protein intake? You need protein to fill you. Once you feel full you won't have the desire to eat so many unhealthy foods. I normally drink a protein shake after my workout and one at night because I am usually super hungry at night and if I don't eat protein I tend to over eat.

Mayhaps; I think I eat a lot of proteins as it is (beans, nuts, lentils, soyproducts) - perhaps I should, as you state, increase my intake of protein shakes. I'm taking 'Lamberts Pea Protein' (http://www.lambertshealthcare.co.uk/pea-protein-(powder)-p8333/), adding it with yogurt (soy or rice) or in a smoothie - that's about every supplement I take (and also multivitamins for B12, D etc).

Eating dates are a good choice when you are craving sugary candies.

About the Coke, that is a drug and you have to be strong and never ever take a sip of it. Addictive drugs are addictive period.

Absolutely, dates are a gift! However, it does not stop me from munching on chocolate.

You may have more success if you 'give' yourself power, rather than take it away:

ie. rather than saying "I can't eat that" to yourself, say "I don't eat that crap!".

Or when your are tempted by a certain food, just flex your muscles.. that very small act can remind you of your own strength (rather than make you struggle against a weakness). You can even try telling those cookies where to go if that works for you. lol.

That's what works for me ... somewhat... but I do go down the other path now and then too so I do know what your are saying. Food is a huge tempter.. it tastes good. I do allow myself a little chocolate near the end of each night.. that helps and is something to look forward to - and maybe keeps me from acting like the fellow in your video link. (lol). But yes I do have to have the will to take a small piece.. not the hole bar.

Have clear goals and focus on that future rather than immediate wants - it's very much like budgeting to save for a car or house - if you really want it, you will save. Food is the fuel you will need to reach your goals. You only have so much room for fuel tho so opt for 'good fuel' - don't replace it with super shitty fuel. Keep that in mind while you muscle up and take the world by storm!

And keep only the good foods in your house. Otherwise you are already planning to fail. If you have family members who are not on board with you, then at the very least you can ask them to keep their 'treats' at work instead of in the house.

Don't know if you've tried all this before.. but you asked, so I'm throwing the suggestions out there.

Start a journal here + state some goals = if you fail at goals (eat crap twice a week) you need to do something embarrassing or donate significant $ to some charity you support? Something a bit different and keeps ya accountable

I do have goals with my training:

- Run 10km in 38 minutes (current pb: 40m30s-ish, average 44m)

- Run a half-marathon in 88 minutes (current pb: 1h32m, average 1h40m)

- Run 60km, deadline 15/5 (due to weather and lack of ultradistance training, I pushed the date with one month)

- Run 100km this year

- 20 chins in a row 15/4 (can do about 18 at moment)

- 30 chins in a row 30/5

- 100 push-ups in a row 30/4

- Getting rid of excessive fat

I havn't set any goals for weights and stuff at the gym. Dunno really. I really should. And goals for avoiding crappy foods... I always seem to set my mind to "total war"-mode when setting up goals regarding food - then it'll go all Hitler-Downfall on me after eight days. Haha.

I've read several journals here - perhaps it'll work for me. Good idea.

You may have more success if you 'give' yourself power, rather than take it away:

ie. rather than saying "I can't eat that" to yourself, say "I don't eat that crap!".

Or when your are tempted by a certain food, just flex your muscles.. that very small act can remind you of your own strength (rather than make you struggle against a weakness). You can even try telling those cookies where to go if that works for you. lol.

That's what works for me ... somewhat... but I do go down the other path now and then too so I do know what your are saying. Food is a huge tempter.. it tastes good. I do allow myself a little chocolate near the end of each night.. that helps and is something to look forward to - and maybe keeps me from acting like the fellow in your video link. (lol). But yes I do have to have the will to take a small piece.. not the hole bar.

Yeah, I've tried that approach too - it does work - for 8 days. Then the abstinence kicks in, becomes grumpy, pouts, doesn't co-operate with others. Haha. =P

I like the idea of flexing muscles when the desire to eat shitty foods kicks in - perhaps follow up with 3x10 push-ups just to focus on something else?

The only thing that works for me is removing the temptation. I keep none of that stuff in the house. Also sugar is like a drug, if you try and cut it out of your diet completely for a few weeks the cravings will lessen, sugar really is in everything, so check labels and eat as clean as you can, yes you will be cranky for a while but that goes away eventually. Also never shop hungry. If you like soda get a sugar free one and slowly cut it out. its hard but you can do it!

I cannot keep shitty foods at home, it's always eaten on the way home from the store (or eaten directly).

Carbonated water helps to break the coke addiction (yay for WasserMaxxs/Soda Streams), that's how I broke the cravings years back, I actually started "drinking" last Spring.

I'm on the right track again - fourth day of 80% raw food (aim @ 90%/day) - no cravings what so ever.

Update: 7th day of raw food (80-90%) and keeps same amount of training. Dropped 2.1kg (4.62lbs), 30-40% liquids/water I guess, beaten some strength goals and keeps pushing. Just come home after a light-run (no aim at pb) of 15km (9.32miles), hit the goal at 1h16m, no problems with recovery.

I actually can see my "abs" after this week without flexing.

At the most basic but most efficient level of preventing oneself from eating junk food and sweets, don't have them around. I eat every. Everything in arms reach. Everything in the house. I see you eat a lot of healthy things. Keep them around and don't keep the junk around. Its easier to keep from eating it if you have to make a trip to the store to get it versus a trip to the kitchen.