Exactly how much protein is needed - SPECIAL CASE

kotlar

Hi all!

I am new to this forum but after only 15 minutes of reading in it and on the site I must say I am quite impressed. I hope I can get some answers to my question.

My question is rather simple, but the reason I ask it is rather more complicated. I wonder EXACTLY how much protein is needed (in my case) to maintain the lean mass that I've got (will provide data at the end of this post)?

The reason why I ask this is that I am quite a big guy with a lot of lean mass and (relatively) low body fat percentage. I want to lose the fat and keep the muscles BUT, as I said, I want to eat just enough protein, not a gram more if it is possible. The reason why I want this is because of the growth hormone IGF-1, the lower the level is in my body, the better. Why? Because I have suffered from a brain tumor called astrocytoma, and there have been studies in medical science where they see a strong link between the levels of IGF-1 and the cases of the brain tumor I've had. And ever since I was a kid I've eaten LOTS of protein (meat, beans, eggs, U name it) and it seems that it's the main cause in my case. I've gone through successful surgery and radiation treatment and so far so good, but one never knows with this kind of tumor if or when it will strike back. So the lower protein level in me, the lower the IGF-1 level becomes, the better for me. But I want to be fit and lean!

Can someone help me with this? I cannot express enough how thankful I will be if you can!

Best regards

Daniel

Sweden

Data (metric):

Height: 184 cm

Weight: 98 kg

Body fat %: 15-16

Lean mass: 52 kg

Skeletal weight: 12.8 kg

1) Get away from toxins. Smoking, second-hand smoke, air pollution, animal products(contains environmental pollutents) and any other toxin which causes inflammation and promotes cancer.

2) Include antioxidants in your diet that can cross the blood brain barrier, like lutein and zeaxanthin, from whole foods like leafy greens. No antioxidant supplements because they have a bad record of promoting cancer.

Basically, eliminate source of inflammation and give your brain the nutrients it requires to heal itself.

The Gerson Therapy is well known for reversing Cancer, including astrocytoma. http://gerson.org/

Did you get your Vitamin D levels checked?

• 2 months later...

Very good advise lepiante.

Also, you might want to look into "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" by Tom Venuto. Your main pointers should be:

■To gain muscle 1.5 g protein per pound of body weight daily.

■Eat 5-6 small meals a day.

■Multiply protein intake by 1.5-2 for carb intake.

■Fats improve strength performance.

■Ingest simple sugar right after training.