Doing standing military press every day

I've done push ups and pull ups and chin ups every day at home, seeing huge gains in strength and definition. But what about doing standing military presses every day? 3 reps for 8 sets counter productive? My max is probably 6-7 reps.

Just got 2 45lb dumbells from someone, so it's not like I can simply change the weight. There is no way I could do all 8 sets within an hour. I need to space them out throughout the day.

How many sets of pull ups and push ups are you doing? The only person who can tell if you're overtraining is you. If you feel completely drained the day after you work out chances are you're overtraining. What I do is give myself a push day where I do pressing movements (for you this would be push ups and shoulder press) and a pull day where I do pulling movements (for you this would be pull ups and chin ups). I don't see a problem with doing all of them in one day though.

i would say doing it as a way of keeping fit would be ok, but i wouldnt go to failure and push really hard every day on the same exercises. your muscles and tendons and so on need to recover between workouts, so if you keep beating them down with no recovery youll find your self in snap city! ive been there, not a nice place!

It's like anything else - doing presses frequently will make you better at them for a while as your body becomes more efficient and used to the movement, but sooner or later, it's going to stall out and you won't see much happen for strength or size gains unless you change things up.

That, and shoulders are a smaller muscle group that for me at least, tends to take a few days to recover if I train them with any real effort. I've never known anyone to make continual progress training the same body part daily (again, you might see progress for a few weeks, but it isn't like you can realistically expect to always add weight or add a rep every week and never see things get stagnant).

All depends on what you're hoping for - if you just want to be able to get yourself to be able to, say, press your dumbbells for sets of 10 any time you want, doing them more often certainly will get you there. But, if you aim to eventually press 90 lb. dumbbells or be able to press those 45s for sets of 30, then you're going to have to eventually get creative and do something other than just press them for x number of reps every day.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I'll be aiming for 5 reps of 5 sets per day. Might not be the best way, but it'll be a nice experiment.

Here is the baseline so far. Now, I'm just at 4 reps of 5 sets per day. Sometimes I can squeeze out the 5th rep, but mostly just sticking to 4.

I'll post back in a few months to check for any progress in physique and strength gains, if there are any. It could be a huge failure, who knows?

270709479_weight005.JPG.5e2918a567236b8861783009e5ba3e0c.JPG