Missyle's Derby Improvement Log 2012

The travel teams were re-selected last night, and I'm no longer on the A team. That means I'm not going to Playoffs this year. I'm pretty upset about it, but I guess the one plus is that I can now rest my knee for a while.

I'm already frustrated by the lack of exercise and it's been only a few days! I have no idea what I can do to keep up strength and fitness without using my knee. It hurts even when I'm walking. I can't cycle, can't skate, and can't do any squatting type motion even just with body weight.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Still haven't done any exercise since I got back from my cycling trip. It's really frustrating! Still, I don't want to make my knee worse.

I'm going to Dubling this weekend for a bootcamp/bout with the B team, which I'm not going to skate in, but my tickets were bought before I hurt my knee. I'm definitely taking the whole month off from derby, but I think I'll try cycling a bit starting next week and see how that goes. There's a physio who comes to our practice every fortnight so I'm going to try to see her. I might go to off-skates training next Monday and just do the bits I can, which will most likely be very little. But I'm going a bit stir crazy so need to do something.

Saw a physio on Tues evening and she said it seems that I've done something to my meniscus but it doesn't seem to be too bad so I should be OK to start doing exercise again, slowly building up. Yay!

Cycled to work today and will do the same tomorrow. I'll start doing some strength stuff next week, though with not much weight. I'll eventually get back on skates at the start of Sept.

I'm cycling to work regularly, but that's all I'm doing exercise-wise right now. I'll return to skating and our formal off-skates sessions at the beginning of September. I'll do some basic strength stuff at home soon, but won't be using much weight at all until I'm confident my knee can take it. It's also been about a month and a half off from doing any sort of weight training, so I'll have to build back up.

My 40th birthday is less than a week from now, so I'm in the last few days of my 30s!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally back to skating! Had my first practice yesterday. My knee held up. It ached a little bit, but nothing major at all. No off-skates training tonight; it's been canceled as we have a big big bout tonight--Team USA is coming over and playing our A travel team and Team England. I'm not skating, but am working the bout.

I am now 40!

Sun 2 Sept 2012

3 hour derby practice

I have been skating. My knee has got progressively more achey as time has gone on and I skipped practice yesterday because of it, but I'm hoping it was especially achey because bouts are especially tough, and that practices won't be too too hard on it.

Tues 4 Sept 2012

Cycled home to work to practice to home

2-hour derby practice

Thurs 6 Sept 2012

2-hour derby practice

Sat 8 Sept 2012

Played in a bout in Nottingham (we won)

Should have gone to 2 hours of practice yesterday but skipped it. I did take a little walk, but even that made my knee hurt. Iced it for a while in the afternoon.

Tonight I am going to off-skates training for the first time in nearly 2 months. I'm definitely going to have to take it easy as it's been so long and my knee is still hurting a bit, but I want to get back to doing at least some strength training.

• 3 weeks later...

My knee is still not 100%, but I'm doing what I can. It's not terribly painful either.

Mon 24 Sept 2012

2-hour off skates training

Tues 25 Sept 2012

2-hour derby practice

Monday was my first off-skates session in about 2 months, and I am now SO SORE. I literally can barely walk. I'm working at home because I don't think I can manage going up and down the stairs at my office.

My soreness lasted all the way to Friday. Wednesday was really horrible. I'm finally recovered, and I'll be off to do it all over again tonight. I hope the soreness isn't as bad this week, as I have a bout on Saturday, so need to be able to train properly at practice on Tues and Thurs.

I did go to practice this past Thurs.

I am now going to try to get my eating in line. My October habit commitment is to log everything I eat. I'm not going to post all my food here, but am going to post my daily calorie total and macro breakdowns. I'm hoping that having to log things will encourage me to make better choices.

As for derby and the topic of this log, I'm feeling a massive lack of motivation right now. Well, ever since I was removed from the A team and then injured my knee I really haven't been feeling it. I'm going through the motions right now and hoping a spark comes back. This past weekend was the regional playoff for our league. Our team finished 4th, which is quite good given that we went in seeded 6th. But the top three go through to championships, which means we didn't make it through this time. Personally, I don't expect to make it back onto the A team soon, as we have a returning skater who'll definitely be placed on and some promising transfers. I'm focusing just on trying to improve my own skills without worrying about how I'm assessed by others (e.g., selection committee). But I am struggling to find the motivation for this.

Mon 1 Oct 2012

Food

Cal: 1,506

C: 248g / 67%

P: 64g / 16%

F: 28g / 17%

That's not too bad, though would prefer a bit more protein. I'm keeping calories quite low because I'm not doing any exercise today. I'd otherwise eat a fair bit more. 1500 calories isn't much food!

Apparently, I get huge amounts of Vitamin K.

Exercise

Opted not to go to off-skates training this week so that I'm not too sore to train properly in the run up to Saturday's bout. I don't like the idea of taking the day off when I'm just coming back (next week's DOMS will be that much worse!) but I think the bout is more important.

Have you ever competed derby in the US? Against Rose City Rollers? I met a few of them and had a couple judge one of my comedy shows. There was even a mainstream documentary movie made about them. Crazy How popular Portland has gotten and how popular roller derby has gotten.

-Dylan

Have you ever competed derby in the US? Against Rose City Rollers? I met a few of them and had a couple judge one of my comedy shows. There was even a mainstream documentary movie made about them. Crazy How popular Portland has gotten and how popular roller derby has gotten.

-Dylan

In the US, yes, but not on the West Coast. We are in the Eastern region so if we can get games against US leagues we tend to play in our region. I'm sure we'd love to play Rose, but that's a long trip!

I'd love to visit Portland again... it's a great city. I'll let you know if it ever does happen!

Work conference on Friday and traveling for a bout on Saturday meant eating on the road. I don't know how to enter items from restaurants/not made by me. I think even my best guess would be pretty far off.

Monday I went to my 2-hour off-skates training. I'm feeling a bit sore now, but nothing compared to how I felt the last time I went. I can actually walk pretty normally.

Tues 9 Oct 2012

Food

Cal: 1,828 (a little short given exercise for the day)

C: 258g / 57%

P: 115g / 24%

F: 40g / 19%

Exercise

Cycled to home to work to practice to home (little over an hour total)

2-hour derby practice

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm gonna see if I can resurrect this log.

I started a new job in December. I can't use the internet there, so my time is a bit tighter these days. Since starting there, I've lost a couple of kilos in weight. I'm not sure why. Perhaps eating lunch out less (used to work near my girlfriend and we'd go out for lunch a lot) and/or cycling a bit more. It's 6 miles each way so now 12 miles a day rather than 8.

Here's my schedule -- not too different

Monday: cycle to/from work, 2-hr off skates training

Tuesday: cycle to/from work and practice, 2-hr derby practice

Wednesday: cycle to/from work

Thursday: cycle to/from work, 2-hr derby practice

Friday: cycle to/from work, 2-hr off skates training (depending on social plans)

Saturday: rest

Sunday: 3-hr derby practice

I've been ill twice this month, which is really unusual for me. I think my body was tired out. I hope that I won't be ill again for a while!

So my current stats are that I'm 5'5" (that's not changing!) and about 68kg (150lbs). I'll put some photos up when I have a chance.

-Dylan

In the US, yes, but not on the West Coast. We are in the Eastern region so if we can get games against US leagues we tend to play in our region. I'm sure we'd love to play Rose, but that's a long trip!

The WFTDA have got rid of geographic regions and moved to a divisional structure, and now our A travel team (which I am not on) is going on a west coast tour! They'll be stopping in Portland and playing Rose. Too bad I'm not on the team!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm finally back to cycling. I took time off while I was ill, which was about a month in the end! I still have a lingering cough, but I at least feel OK. I still went to all my Monday off-skates sessions and missed only a few practices. I'm now going away this weekend and next, so I'll miss a bit of practice and one off-skates training.

• 4 weeks later...