Hello from Mendoza, Argentina.

javierleandrov

Hello, everyone!

I'm Javier Viñuela, from Argentina. I've been a vegetarian for 11 years, and a vegan for one. (I'll be turning 27 next month.)

When I was a kid, I was obese, and I spent most of my childhood that way. When I turned 13 I decided to change my lifestyle and lost about 25 kilograms in a period of 3 months. At 16 I became ovo-lactovegetarian, and at 26 I decided to become vegan after watching some very enlightening videos and attending conferences about Animal Rights.

What can I say about me? I'm a total geek. I love comic books, Sci-fi and art but I also love sports!

As far as my workout routine goes, I go swimming twice a week, and I do Crossfit 3 times a week.

I've been doing Crossfit for the last 2 months. I love it. It was taught to me by a friend that came to visit, who also happens to be an Australian soldier! Though when it came to nutrition, we had very different views. He does the "paleolithic diet", while I have a vegan diet.

I'd really like to learn how I should eat in order to burn away all the fat in my body, but without losing muscle.

These last few months, I've lost some weight and my abs are starting to appear, lol, but I really want to do it right.

The thing is, here in my city, there are absolutely NO VEGAN PROTEIN POWDERS like SunWarrior. The ones you can get here all come from milk or eggs. Is there any advice you can give me on how I should eat before and after my workout routines? How much protein? What should I eat and what shouldn't I eat?

I try not to eat a lot of carbs, and I eat things like soy sausages (I found a brand in which each sausage has 22 grams of protein. I eat about 4 of those sausages a day.), fruits, walnuts, almonds, avocados, squash, etc.

Also, the idea of eating too much soy kind of scares me, because of pesticides.

I will be absolutely grateful for any information, article, advice or help you could give regarding vegan nutrition and fitness. I really feel lost at times!

Maybe I should post these doubts elsewhere in the forums, let me know!

A million thanks in advance to everyone, I really hope I can become an active member here, and get to know all of you!

Cheers,

Javi.-

Hi Javier,

I've done a bit of crossfit in past and love it too. Been off for pretty much a year due to shoulder injury, but am gearing up to go back next month.

Too much soy is probably not good. But pesticides exist on all fruits, grains, legumes and vegetables, so no reason to avoid soy for that reason at least. Try to find organic and non-gmo if you can tho.

You don't need powders if you eat well... but they certainly make the job easier. You can always order powders or protein bars online.

Here are a couple articles I have bookmarked on vegan nutrition (for athletes)

http://www.scienzavegetariana.it/medici/vegathletes.htm

http://www.drfuhrman.com/library/vegan_athlete.pdf