Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness Strength Table 2013

How come pretty much everyone can DL more than squat? Is it just that you have more upper body strength than lower? To me squatting (even though it''s not an Olympic) is significantly easier thanDL. My technique sucks in DL, but stiff leg DL is more manageable for me- but STILL I have more trouble with it than squat.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vegan Aspirant - I'm sure it has to do with leverages. Most people have leverages that favor the body position in a deadlift. There are some that can squat more than deadlift, but most cannot.

Welcome to the board, BnB!

Updated to here.

How come pretty much everyone can DL more than squat? Is it just that you have more upper body strength than lower? To me squatting (even though it''s not an Olympic) is significantly easier thanDL. My technique sucks in DL, but stiff leg DL is more manageable for me- but STILL I have more trouble with it than squat.

My squats are definitely held back by my back being weaker than my quads/glutes. I also get a lot more nervous with weight on my back than I do just pulling, so I'm more likely to go heavier with a DL than I am with a squat because I train alone and never have a spotter. I'm also just finding that I really, really like to deadlift. If I do a leg press, though, I can get those numbers way further up. Just doesn't translate to the squat as much as I'd like. Oh well, safety first!

My squats are definitely held back by my back being weaker than my quads/glutes. I also get a lot more nervous with weight on my back than I do just pulling, so I'm more likely to go heavier with a DL than I am with a squat because I train alone and never have a spotter. I'm also just finding that I really, really like to deadlift. If I do a leg press, though, I can get those numbers way further up. Just doesn't translate to the squat as much as I'd like. Oh well, safety first!

I think squats are a real mental exercise, almost as much as they are a physical one. You have to learn to recognise your fear, not let it intimidate you and then embrace it. I always get nervous on my final heavy sets, but I never back off. You shouldn't be afraid to go heavy but at the same time you should only attempt lifts that you know you are capable of getting (even it's going to take you right to the edge)!

Make use of the safety bars if you do your squatting in a rack, they're invaluable for those of us that train alone. They have saved me many times, just make sure you set them to the right height to catch the bar if you get stuck at the bottom

That's funny, I'd think that people who did better in DL than squat had significantly more strength in upper body than people who had it the other way around. I do understand your line of reasoning though but somehow I just find squats more manageable than (especially conventional) squats. Maybe it's because I have relative short arms? I don't know.

But MF is right it's just as much a question of psyche as it is strength. I still won't go heavy (well really heavy) because of mental barriers. But if I could let go of them, I think I could have a max at around 120 kg, maybe 130 kg. Same thing with bench. Body-building/strength training isn't just about pumping lol.

Make use of the safety bars if you do your squatting in a rack, they're invaluable for those of us that train alone. They have saved me many times, just make sure you set them to the right height to catch the bar if you get stuck at the bottom

So do you just adjust them to where your deepest low in a squat position is? And how would you technically get out of that pickle? Would you just let it roll over your head onto the safety bars at the sides? Or..? I think this piece of information might encourage me to go heavier and maybe get through some of the mental barriers that are currently inhibiting me from lifting what I'd like to be lifting by now.

Yeah, squat down to your lowest point that you are going to hit and then I'd set the safety bars just a shade lower than that. I've got stuck at the bottom a few times, I basically just end up continuing to drop until the bar comes to a rest. If you wanted to make a big noise you could just ditch the bar from your back, but I prefer to fail with a little grace haha.

Here's a video so you can see where I set my bars at that might help to make a little more sense:

Thanks for the video MF! Yeah nothing's worse than failing flamboyantly haha. A guy I know once heard this big juiced up guy- literally- cry while doing dumbbell preacher curls. Curious to know what he was lifting he went up to him, only to discover he was curling a 10 kg dumbbell rofl! I mean he might have had his reasons (muscle exhaustion, failure reps yada yada) but come on?! Even *i* wouldn't cry for curling a 10 kg dumbbell (I don't even warm up with that lol).

Updated to here. Nice work BNB!

I cry whenever I curl a 10kg dumbbell. Tears of shame, that is...

Never to mock anyone for whom that is a truly challenging weight, really. I've seen it in commercial gyms though, and I always think to myself "WTF?"

Updated to here. Nice work BNB!

I cry whenever I curl a 10kg dumbbell. Tears of shame, that is...

I doubt that Asp :-P You look like a 20 kilo'er easy

Never to mock anyone for whom that is a truly challenging weight, really. I've seen it in commercial gyms though, and I always think to myself "WTF?"

I wholeheartedly agree, but come on... All that juice and iron muscle and you're crying for doing (drop sets) with 10 kg?!! Man I'd even mock myself at that weight lol

Yeah, squat down to your lowest point that you are going to hit and then I'd set the safety bars just a shade lower than that. I've got stuck at the bottom a few times, I basically just end up continuing to drop until the bar comes to a rest. If you wanted to make a big noise you could just ditch the bar from your back, but I prefer to fail with a little grace haha.

The safety bars are an excellent idea! I don't know why I didn't think of that before, and feel a little silly about it. I use the safety notches in the smith machine, no reason not to translate it to when I'm squatting in the rack. You may have just completely revolutionized the way I approach squats

The safety bars are an excellent idea! I don't know why I didn't think of that before, and feel a little silly about it. I use the safety notches in the smith machine, no reason not to translate it to when I'm squatting in the rack. You may have just completely revolutionized the way I approach squats

That's cool, expect to see you moving some big weights very soon

I'm at a heavier 179 right now. No point in being at the top of the chart when I'm ten pounds heavier haha.

Aw man, I though we had an unseating! That bodyweight drops you back to 3rd place. Although you must be close to a 400# squat by now. I'm sure by the time your comp rolls around you will be at the top of this list!

Another month or so and I'll probably test some maxes as well. Should bump me up a bit, although I've put on a few lbs myself.