Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness Strength Table 2013

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Message
Author
User avatar
Mini Forklift Ⓥ
VBB Moderator, Powerlifter & Ultrarunner
Posts: 3900
Age: 39
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:13 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand.
Contact:

Re: Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness Strength Table 2013

#61 Postby Mini Forklift Ⓥ » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:29 pm

BeansNBroccoli wrote:My squats are definitely held back by my back being weaker than my quads/glutes. I also get a lot more nervous with weight on my back than I do just pulling, so I'm more likely to go heavier with a DL than I am with a squat because I train alone and never have a spotter. I'm also just finding that I really, really like to deadlift. If I do a leg press, though, I can get those numbers way further up. Just doesn't translate to the squat as much as I'd like. Oh well, safety first!

I think squats are a real mental exercise, almost as much as they are a physical one. You have to learn to recognise your fear, not let it intimidate you and then embrace it. I always get nervous on my final heavy sets, but I never back off. You shouldn't be afraid to go heavy but at the same time you should only attempt lifts that you know you are capable of getting (even it's going to take you right to the edge)!

Make use of the safety bars if you do your squatting in a rack, they're invaluable for those of us that train alone. They have saved me many times, just make sure you set them to the right height to catch the bar if you get stuck at the bottom 8)
Image

User avatar
Vegan Aspirant
Rabbit
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:26 am

Re: Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness Strength Table 2013

#62 Postby Vegan Aspirant » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:45 pm

BeansNBroccoli wrote:My squats are definitely held back by my back being weaker than my quads/glutes. I also get a lot more nervous with weight on my back than I do just pulling, so I'm more likely to go heavier with a DL than I am with a squat because I train alone and never have a spotter. I'm also just finding that I really, really like to deadlift. If I do a leg press, though, I can get those numbers way further up. Just doesn't translate to the squat as much as I'd like. Oh well, safety first!


That's funny, I'd think that people who did better in DL than squat had significantly more strength in upper body than people who had it the other way around. I do understand your line of reasoning though but somehow I just find squats more manageable than (especially conventional) squats. Maybe it's because I have relative short arms? I don't know.

But MF is right it's just as much a question of psyche as it is strength. I still won't go heavy (well really heavy) because of mental barriers. But if I could let go of them, I think I could have a max at around 120 kg, maybe 130 kg. Same thing with bench. Body-building/strength training isn't just about pumping lol.

MiniForklift wrote:Make use of the safety bars if you do your squatting in a rack, they're invaluable for those of us that train alone. They have saved me many times, just make sure you set them to the right height to catch the bar if you get stuck at the bottom 8)


So do you just adjust them to where your deepest low in a squat position is? And how would you technically get out of that pickle? Would you just let it roll over your head onto the safety bars at the sides? Or..? I think this piece of information might encourage me to go heavier and maybe get through some of the mental barriers that are currently inhibiting me from lifting what I'd like to be lifting by now.

User avatar
Mini Forklift Ⓥ
VBB Moderator, Powerlifter & Ultrarunner
Posts: 3900
Age: 39
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:13 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand.
Contact:

Re: Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness Strength Table 2013

#63 Postby Mini Forklift Ⓥ » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:54 pm

Yeah, squat down to your lowest point that you are going to hit and then I'd set the safety bars just a shade lower than that. I've got stuck at the bottom a few times, I basically just end up continuing to drop until the bar comes to a rest. If you wanted to make a big noise you could just ditch the bar from your back, but I prefer to fail with a little grace haha.

Here's a video so you can see where I set my bars at that might help to make a little more sense:

Image

User avatar
Vegan Aspirant
Rabbit
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:26 am

Re: Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness Strength Table 2013

#64 Postby Vegan Aspirant » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:04 pm

Thanks for the video MF! Yeah nothing's worse than failing flamboyantly haha. A guy I know once heard this big juiced up guy- literally- cry while doing dumbbell preacher curls. Curious to know what he was lifting he went up to him, only to discover he was curling a 10 kg dumbbell rofl! I mean he might have had his reasons (muscle exhaustion, failure reps yada yada) but come on?! Even *i* wouldn't cry for curling a 10 kg dumbbell (I don't even warm up with that lol).

User avatar
asparagus
Gorilla
Posts: 583
Age: 41
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 1:13 pm
Location: O.C. California

Re: Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness Strength Table 2013

#65 Postby asparagus » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:24 pm

Updated to here. Nice work BNB!

I cry whenever I curl a 10kg dumbbell. Tears of shame, that is...

Never to mock anyone for whom that is a truly challenging weight, really. I've seen it in commercial gyms though, and I always think to myself "WTF?"
--
My strength log
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:That's 200 solid ass-pounds! Good work buddy.
vegan_rossco, the ghost hunter wrote:I can see how some people might mistake this as paranormal when really its just an example of your brain being an asshole

User avatar
Vegan Aspirant
Rabbit
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:26 am

Re: Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness Strength Table 2013

#66 Postby Vegan Aspirant » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:35 pm

asparagus wrote:Updated to here. Nice work BNB!

I cry whenever I curl a 10kg dumbbell. Tears of shame, that is...


I doubt that Asp :-p You look like a 20 kilo'er easy 8-)

asparagus wrote:Never to mock anyone for whom that is a truly challenging weight, really. I've seen it in commercial gyms though, and I always think to myself "WTF?"


I wholeheartedly agree, but come on... All that juice and iron muscle and you're crying for doing (drop sets) with 10 kg?!! Man I'd even mock myself at that weight lol

User avatar
Mini Forklift Ⓥ
VBB Moderator, Powerlifter & Ultrarunner
Posts: 3900
Age: 39
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:13 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand.
Contact:

Re: Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness Strength Table 2013

#67 Postby Mini Forklift Ⓥ » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:11 pm

'All that juice' = fake muscle :lol:
Image

User avatar
BeansNBroccoli
Manatee
Posts: 264
Age: 29
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:53 pm
Location: gainesville, fl

Re: Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness Strength Table 2013

#68 Postby BeansNBroccoli » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:25 am

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Yeah, squat down to your lowest point that you are going to hit and then I'd set the safety bars just a shade lower than that. I've got stuck at the bottom a few times, I basically just end up continuing to drop until the bar comes to a rest. If you wanted to make a big noise you could just ditch the bar from your back, but I prefer to fail with a little grace haha.



The safety bars are an excellent idea! I don't know why I didn't think of that before, and feel a little silly about it. I use the safety notches in the smith machine, no reason not to translate it to when I'm squatting in the rack. You may have just completely revolutionized the way I approach squats ;)

User avatar
jamesxvx
Gorilla
Posts: 514
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness Strength Table 2013

#69 Postby jamesxvx » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:40 pm

Can I get my deadlift to 500 Please?

User avatar
asparagus
Gorilla
Posts: 583
Age: 41
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 1:13 pm
Location: O.C. California

Re: Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness Strength Table 2013

#70 Postby asparagus » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:20 pm

Updated. Nice pulling james! That will put you at the top of the chart, if your bodyweight is still the same as what's listed. If so, then I believe MF owes you a prize pack! :) For now I've moved you up. Beast!
--
My strength log
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:That's 200 solid ass-pounds! Good work buddy.
vegan_rossco, the ghost hunter wrote:I can see how some people might mistake this as paranormal when really its just an example of your brain being an asshole

User avatar
jamesxvx
Gorilla
Posts: 514
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness Strength Table 2013

#71 Postby jamesxvx » Wed May 01, 2013 5:39 pm

I'm at a heavier 179 right now. No point in being at the top of the chart when I'm ten pounds heavier haha.

User avatar
Mini Forklift Ⓥ
VBB Moderator, Powerlifter & Ultrarunner
Posts: 3900
Age: 39
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:13 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand.
Contact:

Re: Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness Strength Table 2013

#72 Postby Mini Forklift Ⓥ » Wed May 01, 2013 6:40 pm

BeansNBroccoli wrote:The safety bars are an excellent idea! I don't know why I didn't think of that before, and feel a little silly about it. I use the safety notches in the smith machine, no reason not to translate it to when I'm squatting in the rack. You may have just completely revolutionized the way I approach squats ;)

That's cool, expect to see you moving some big weights very soon :boxer:
Image

User avatar
asparagus
Gorilla
Posts: 583
Age: 41
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 1:13 pm
Location: O.C. California

Re: Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness Strength Table 2013

#73 Postby asparagus » Wed May 01, 2013 6:47 pm

jamesxvx wrote:I'm at a heavier 179 right now. No point in being at the top of the chart when I'm ten pounds heavier haha.

Aw man, I though we had an unseating! That bodyweight drops you back to 3rd place. Although you must be close to a 400# squat by now. I'm sure by the time your comp rolls around you will be at the top of this list!

Another month or so and I'll probably test some maxes as well. Should bump me up a bit, although I've put on a few lbs myself. 8)
--
My strength log
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:That's 200 solid ass-pounds! Good work buddy.
vegan_rossco, the ghost hunter wrote:I can see how some people might mistake this as paranormal when really its just an example of your brain being an asshole

User avatar
Mini Forklift Ⓥ
VBB Moderator, Powerlifter & Ultrarunner
Posts: 3900
Age: 39
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:13 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand.
Contact:

Re: Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness Strength Table 2013

#74 Postby Mini Forklift Ⓥ » Thu May 02, 2013 6:01 am

So I just retained the crown for a little longer? Damn, this is more exciting than Game of Thrones.
Image

User avatar
vegan_rossco
Batman
Posts: 1632
Age: 27
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:15 am
Location: Isle of Wight, England

Re: Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness Strength Table 2013

#75 Postby vegan_rossco » Thu May 02, 2013 9:29 am

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:So I just retained the crown for a little longer? Damn, this is more exciting than Game of Thrones.

But with less sex and violence
klaatu21 wrote:sensai ross, forgive me for doubting you and myself

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:There's only one thing I'm riding at 6am, and it's not a bike!

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29098
http://www.facebook.com/ross.d.cosgrove


Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests