Rossco's journal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5x5! Thursday 2/5/13 (I have a bit of a cold and went for a real long walk earlier so can see this workout being a little difficult!)

SQUATS

65Kg x 5 reps

65Kg x 5 reps

65Kg x 5 reps

65Kg x 5 reps

65Kg x 5 reps

All very easy

BENCH PRESS

52.5Kg x 5 reps

52.5Kg x 5 reps

52.5Kg x 5 reps

52.5Kg x 5 reps

52.5Kg x 5 reps

BARBELL ROW

52.5Kg x 5 reps

52.5Kg x 5 reps

52.5Kg x 5 reps

52.5Kg x 5 reps

52.5Kg x 5 reps

All easy stuff!

Goddamit you guys! This is borderline online bullying hahaha.

In all seriousness though I do get a pretty sore spine/shoulders when I don't use it.. Am I doing something wrong? :/

Hey dude, I didn't mean to offend, so sorry if it came across that way.

When you squat, is it high-bar or low-bar? When the bar is up high there might be a tendency to let it roll up on your spine, which does not give you happy vertebrae. With a lower bar position, it should be sitting on more muscle, giving it more natural padding. It all depends on the type of squatting you are doing. If you are going more Olympic, then the torso needs to be more upright and the bar should sit high. If you are powerlifting then the bar can sit a bit lower, although you will find that your body mechanics need to compensate for the bar position - the lower the bar the more difficult it will be to get past "parallel", but going full depth that way still closes the knee joint.

In either case, make sure that you squeeze your shoulders back to give the bar some meat to sit on. I find doing that also helps me keep my chest up and my back arched. If you aren't already doing mobility work, I highly recommend shoulder dislocations and squat-to-stands at the start of each workout.

Over time, with proper form, your body will adapt to the strain of the bar on your back.

Sorry if you already know all this and were looking for something else, but this is what I've got. Anything else on my part would be speculation and that's not worth a damn.

Keep it up!

Ahha of course guys, just a bit of banter I was kidding too no offence here, well I haven't gone pad free with the bar for a very long time to be honest.. Maybe I'll go pad free next session and then if I do get pain I'll know I'm doing something wrong and refer back to asparagus' advice, cheers for the post asparagus

Ahha of course guys, just a bit of banter I was kidding too no offence here, well I haven't gone pad free with the bar for a very long time to be honest.. Maybe I'll go pad free next session and then if I do get pain I'll know I'm doing something wrong and refer back to asparagus' advice, cheers for the post asparagus

At least use a black pad, dude.

You are Batman.

5x5! Workout number 4!

Sunday 5/5/13

Totally shit and exhausting day at work but I really need to get under the bar for some down time!

SQUATS

67.5Kg x 5 reps

67.5Kg x 5 reps

67.5Kg x 5 reps

67.5Kg x 5 reps

67.5Kg x 5 reps

OVERHEAD PRESS

42.5Kg x 5 reps

42.5Kg x 5 reps

42.5Kg x 5 reps

42.5Kg x 5 reps

42.5Kg x 5 reps

DEADLIFTS

112.5Kg x 5 reps

No problems! I brought some vegan cornish pasties so I'm gonna go stuff my face!

Amazing dude i see you are onto 5x5 . I have just started my 8 week cycle too last week , although i am starting kinda low coz of the 2 months gap but i am sure i will be back in nos by the time i end it . I'd have suggested starting just a little lighter on deads too along with everything else .

It really feels awesome as weights keep going up . Do you have the StrongLifts Tracker Excel sheet ?

If not let me know i will mail that you it really helps you to track stuff .

My predicted nos by 1st July with a constant increase should be around -

Squat - 100kgs

Deads - 120 kgs

Bench/Rows - 65kgs

OHP - 55kgs

Put up your nos too and we'l try and get the goals done by the stipulated time . What say ?

Yo! I know I probably should have gone lighter on deads but where I can do 145Kg for reps now and you only have to do one set of deads each time I decided to go a little heavier, I don't have the spreadsheet but I've got it all penciled down, mostly because I'm not sticking to the weeks. By that I mean I'm just training every other day and occasionaly adding extras or taking days off, so I can't really stick to a spreadsheet.

I'll pencil up some more weeks later, I've only written up 5 weeks so far

5x5 workout number 5!

SQUATS

70Kg x 5 reps

70Kg x 5 reps

70Kg x 5 reps

70Kg x 5 reps

70Kg x 5 reps

ROWS

55Kg x 5 reps

55Kg x 5 reps

55Kg x 5 reps