Greetings All...

vegandoc66

I am a 47 year old physician and three year vegan.

I originally became vegan as (one of many previous) fad diets in January 2010. I followed the 21 day Vegan kickstart from PCRM and noticed an immediate difference in my mood, energy, overall fitness. I lost 30 pounds and kept them off for over 2 years. My lab tests improved and my doctor was amazed.

During this tranformation I read everything I could and became increasingly concerned about the ethical dimensions of a vegan lifestyle. So I started out as a "health" vegan and increasingly became an "ethical" vegan. I strongly believe both should go hand in hand...

... "And he lived happily ever after..." Right? Wrong.

Actually, I should say I am a 2.5 year vegan because I fell off the wagon from Sept 2012 to January 2013. An occasional piece of milk chocolate morphed into cheese and then (gasp) chicken and fish. Not proud to admit it; but there it is. Along with my backsliding came an equal amount of guilt and (frankly) self loathing. Not to mention 15 additional pounds almost overnight.

In looking back; I think that the reason I slipped was because I had fallen into a rut. My food choices were repetitive, boring and uninspiring. I needed to turn things around.

I believe I have started that turn around this year. I've been vegan (again) since January and exercising regularly since March. But I still want more from this lifestyle. That, is what brought me here. This is a site I have browsed and lurked for over a year; I finally decided to join in the conversation and take my journey to the next level.

Thanks for providing me this forum. (This was a difficult post to write. When I fell off the bandwagon most of my friends didn't know. I felt like an addict when I ate non-vegan foods in secret.)

Whew.

Vegandoc66

Welcome

I liked your story, Glad to hear you are Vegan again.

Kudos to you for being here and for writing it.

For me, the more I thought about the Ethical aspects of being Vegan the more and more disturbing meat became.

Now it’s to the point that even the thought of something like a “Ham” disgust me as much as if it were a chunk of meat from a person, just completely repulsive.

Kenny