bodybuilding+ sports perfomance

Hey guys, i'm wondering if this is realistic, ideally i'd like to keep building muscle, but i'd also like to improve my *cardio heavy* sports performance

is it possible to do both? will light jogs improve my recovery/stamina on the field if i do them on my rest days or something?

any advice appreciated

Hey guys, i'm wondering if this is realistic, ideally i'd like to keep building muscle, but i'd also like to improve my *cardio heavy* sports performance

is it possible to do both? will light jogs improve my recovery/stamina on the field if i do them on my rest days or something?

any advice appreciated

Hey muschidna. Your question depends on quite a bit of variables. Sure you can still build muscle with light jogs. A lot of other questions need to be answered though. How long will you be jogging? How often? How long have you been lifting weights? What type of split/rep range? What is your diet like? Etc.......

If you are eating over maintenance while still doing your cardio and hitting it hard in the gym with that weights, you should be able to build muscle, just might be a bit slower. Just my two cents.

What sport are you looking to improve?

hi, i play field hockey, i'd like to recover faster afte sprinting across the field to get the ball, and just have more energy

currently i'm doing a 3 day split, rep range of around 10-14, 3 sets, been doing so for probably 7 weeks now, and i've been kinda avoiding cardio, even though i'm sure i'd be fine to do some- since i get some in with hockey

we play once a week and train once a week too, and it can be pretty intense depending on how hard you push

but yeah, will light cardio really do anything to help? brisk walks/jogs?, i don't know about intense running or HIIT as i'm already skinny enough without it

edit: oh as for my diet, i've been working to improve it lately, lots of beans, legumes, more tofu/seiten/quinoa type things etc, i'm still working on it though

hi, i play field hockey, i'd like to recover faster afte sprinting across the field to get the ball, and just have more energy

currently i'm doing a 3 day split, rep range of around 10-14, 3 sets, been doing so for probably 7 weeks now, and i've been kinda avoiding cardio, even though i'm sure i'd be fine to do some- since i get some in with hockey

we play once a week and train once a week too, and it can be pretty intense depending on how hard you push

but yeah, will light cardio really do anything to help? brisk walks/jogs?, i don't know about intense running or HIIT as i'm already skinny enough without it

edit: oh as for my diet, i've been working to improve it lately, lots of beans, legumes, more tofu/seiten/quinoa type things etc, i'm still working on it though

Hey Muchidna, thanks for answering. Just my opinion and food for thought, but I'm not really sure how brisk walks or jogs would help to much for your sport. You mentioned practices and games were pretty intense cardio wise and I don't doubt that considering field hockey can be a pretty demanding sport. In your training you would want to simulate what happens in your game. Sprints, plyometric conditioning, and other workouts would seem to be better for yourself. You don't have to sprint all day . Just get that intensity up.

As well, putting muscle on is very dependent on diet, and if you are improving it that is great! Just make sure you are eating over your maintance for calories and try to get in enough protein. As well, are you going to failure on your lifts? Have you tried lowering your rep range to say 8-12 reps? Or 6-8 and see how that worked out? This would allow you to lift heavier then your current rep range, which could be beneficial for you. Just lots of trial and error .

Good luck!

Hiit or LSD can both be beneficial in a training regimen for a sport like hockey or soccer. Do hiit to improve explosive strength and improve VO2 max and recovery time, and do LSD to improve your endurance. Time may be a factor on what you decide to do in any session... you can get HIIT over with faster.

Whether you gain or lose weight doing any type of exercise will be primarily dependent on your food intake.