Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Vegetarian now, can I stop counting calories?
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:41 am 
Rabbit

Hi all, Im new to the forum and I have a question about calories, you know ,the little things that sneak into our closets at nigt and make our clothes tighter.

I've been meticulously counting every calories for the past 1 1/2 years, writing down every meal, but it is getting old, and I do not want to have to do that the rest of my life.

So my question is, once you go vegetarian, can you reduce, if not get really close to not counting calories at all, so long as youre not piling up a plate ful of rice & potatoes before bed, since you're eating the BEST kinds of calories you can?

Post subject: Re: Vegetarian now, can I stop counting calories?
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:24 pm 
Stegosaurus

It all depends on how your body responds and what you're eating.

I've gotten excessively fat on a vegan diet in the past by eating whatever I wanted and because I didn't pay attention to food quality or calories taken in, so there's really no single diet where you CAN'T have things go that route if you aren't careful.

But, if you're eating whole foods with tons of good vegetables and minimal processed foods, there's a lot less chance of putting on excess fat on a vegan diet. Being as there are still a thousand vegan junk foods out there, not to mention the quick high calorie foods like rice, pasta, etc. it's definitely possible to get plenty of fat on you if you eat the wrong things and too much of them.

I've been vegan for about 13 years and have been counting calories for the greater part of 18 years now, and probably will continue to do so for a long time. I need to keep things in check, otherwise, they get out of hand quickly. I don't keep a log, rather, after all these years I just have become adept at being able to know the calories of what I eat within about 5% margin of error, and it's easy enough to keep a running tab in my head, so you may not need to be overly meticulous, but it doesn't hurt to keep track of things for a while just to make sure you keep going in the direction you're hoping for.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:22 pm 
Elephant

no you cant stop. ive been 30 lbs overweight as a vegan. there are countless others. we arent by default healthy. there is so much garbage available to us.

https://www.youtube.com/user/doctorvannostrand100

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:28 pm 
Manatee

being a vegetarian doesnt automatically balance your calories, or make the calories you eat healthy