Too much green lentils? Vegetables which don't create gas?

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

LentilGasOMG
Finch

Too much green lentils? Vegetables which don't create gas?

#1 Postby LentilGasOMG » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:22 pm

Hello, been a vegan for about 3 years now. Trying to put on weight and I found eating green lentils was fairly easy. I have been eating a lot over the last few weeks and I have spent most of today at the bathroom! I have been having a lot of gas for what I am guessing since I started eating them. However, in the last day the Gas has the most horrid smell and I can't hold anything in my stomach.

Anyone had any experiences like this from eating beans etc? I'm thinking about stopping lentils completely for now and giving my stomach a clean out before I begin eating foods again.

What vegetables do not create gas?!? :)

stcalico
Manatee

Re: Too much green lentils? Vegetables which don't create ga

#2 Postby stcalico » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:24 pm

I love green smoothies myself. I slowly started add more and more spinach or kale which are a good source of iron ...you can eat lots of greens and they have VERY few calories for the protein they provide. Quinoa is a seed.. but it is a very good source of protein. Avocados are good source of healthy fat and protein. Sweet potato .. again has protein. I was recently reading about some people in Russia who survived on potatoes only for an entire 6 months and when tested their protein levels were fine. I like to have a good mix of food personally.. I suspect too much of any one thing is not all that good for you. ie. I'll have something like sweet potato and lentil soup. The variety also helps to ensure I'm getting a good amino acid profile over the course of a day.
If it's important to you, you'll find a way. If it isn't, you'll find an excuse.

lepiante
Rabbit

#3 Postby lepiante » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:59 pm

Are you sure they are cooked?

superman1234
Rabbit

#4 Postby superman1234 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:48 pm

Have you tried french lentils?

dk69
Rabbit

#5 Postby dk69 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:02 pm

ChIA seeds have more protein than any other seed. a decent amount of protein, more omega 3's (oz for oz) than Salmon! more calcium than milk, and THREE times more iron than Spinach. I usually vitamix-juice 1lb of spinach with 10oz of frozen raspberries or strawberries and banana, and add chia seeds or hemp seeds. Read about chia seeds, they are amazing, and are what aztec warriors are made of!

NOTVEGAN
Finch

#6 Postby NOTVEGAN » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:00 pm

Go too your local indian grocery store and get some dried asafatida. Its a fermented root that's used alot in indian cuisine as an anti flatulant, It smells horrible but doesn't have a taste.

Compassion
Manatee

#7 Postby Compassion » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:33 am

I love the username haha. As for the issue, having Been vegan for many years and vegetarian many years before that, I have just learned to accept the fact that we are a gassy group!
-Evan

Mini Forklift Ⓥ
VBB Moderator, Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

#8 Postby Mini Forklift Ⓥ » Thu May 02, 2013 6:00 am

LOL, show me a 'typical' meat-eating bodybuilder that isn't gassy after a tray of eggs, a whole chicken and a few protein shakes.

I'd bet money on us being less gassy on all our veges, fruits and nuts...

lepiante
Rabbit

#9 Postby lepiante » Wed May 22, 2013 7:13 am

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:LOL, show me a 'typical' meat-eating bodybuilder that isn't gassy after a tray of eggs, a whole chicken and a few protein shakes.

I'd bet money on us being less gassy on all our veges, fruits and nuts...

We are less gassy and also our gas doesn't stink.

asparagus
Gorilla

#10 Postby asparagus » Wed May 22, 2013 7:15 pm

Mix in a bunch of fresh chopped parsley with the lentils after they are done cooking. I've noticed I'm a lot less gassy if I throw in a tsp of it (packed) with my two cups of cooked beans.
--
My strength log
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:That's 200 solid ass-pounds! Good work buddy.
vegan_rossco, the ghost hunter wrote:I can see how some people might mistake this as paranormal when really its just an example of your brain being an asshole

Mini Forklift Ⓥ
VBB Moderator, Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

#11 Postby Mini Forklift Ⓥ » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:22 am

NOTVEGAN wrote:Go too your local indian grocery store and get some dried asafatida. Its a fermented root that's used alot in indian cuisine as an anti flatulant, It smells horrible but doesn't have a taste.

Thanks for that, I will put that onto my list as something to look out for and try :wink:

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”