Soy free protein powders

My protein Picks:

Nutiva Hemp 15g: I love the taste, nutty and hempy . Tastes like a real food, not a supplement. Much better tasting than other brands of hemp so if you were turned off by a different brand, try Nutiva.

Hemp is supposed to be 80% bio available, but only 55% optimal in Lysine, and low in Isoleucine and Tryptophan. Good to complement with Yellow Pea or Lentils which are very high in these three.

Jarrow Brown Rice: Affordable but taste/texture not so great.

Jarrow Optimal Plant: Affordable compared to other vegan protein blends, and contains Rice, Pea, Hemp, Chia, and Chlorella mixed in optimal ratios, but tastes like a supplement.

Vega: I used to use this. Vega tastes amazing, but ~$3us per serving, which I think comes to 10-20 cents per gram of protein, whereas the Hemp, Rice, Pea, Jarrow Optimal etc can be found for 2-4 cents per gram of protein online. Given there are plenty of other vitamins and nutrients in Vega so it's not a fair comparison. Vega Sport probably makes sense for serious athletes and those who can afford to spend $120 per month per protein.

I haven't tried Yellow Pea, that is next on my list.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, hope you're not in a rush! The split pea is the best tasting vegan protein I have come across so far, TBH I didn't like the tate or texture of the SunWarrior protein.

Exactly what I loved about the Sunwarrior Classic, the texture. I love that chalky texture.

I don't understand why no one has mentioned Vega Sport Protein. It has 25grams of protein, 5gs (5000mg) BCAA, and tastes fantastic! Cheapest way to buy it is on amazon. And has anyone tried PlantFusion Protein? They just came out with a Cookies N' Cream flavor that I'm trying to find a sample of, or a even a review.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been using Sunwarrior for a long time, and it's pretty good, but Perfect Supplements just started manufacturing a non-GMO plant-based protein powder made of brown rice, mushroom, and hemp without dairy or soy with digestive enzymes and probiotics that's supposed to make it more digestible. The ingredients are all organic and there are no fillers. Has anybody tried it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well that's mostly down to a change in training I suppose ahha, but for example I used to have 500Ml of juice with a few scoops of protein powder/creatine and only be able to eat a medium bowl of porridge or something similar. Now that I've dropped the protein powders I end up having loads of porridge, toast and fruit etc. Same applies to other meals, but I'm sure others will have different ideas and results

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen everyone dance around the topic here, but why not opt for the highest bioavailibility AND simplicity? Read this.

http://www.nutribodyprotein.com/protein-types.php

Yup, all the way at the bottom, you see that combo? Yeah that is what I do; 70% brown rice and 30% gemma (yellow) pea protein powder is probably the best I have heard of.

Happens to be soy free, and hypoallergenic. I do not care about the chalky taste or any taste. In my last life, I drank whey protein religiously, so why complain when I used to down shakes full of that nasty, spoiled, animal derived garbage? Btw soy has more allergans than dairy products.