Minor injuries that take forever to heal

I'm getting older and seem to encounter more minor injuries than I used to. Either that or else I didnt notice or care as much before because I would heal extremely fast.

My most recent slow to heal, still recovering injury is my hand. I fell playing basketball and landed stomach first, catching my self with both hands palms down. My left hand was swollen later that night and now 2 weeks later it is still bothering me. My PT gf checked it out and said there doesnt seem to be anything broken or nerve damage related. I just started a new job where I am using the computer a lot and I think that is also not giving my hand proper rest.

Anyone had a similar injury? Any advice beside just try to use it as little as possible?

Weight training is difficult to limit the use of my hand. Ive been attempting to hold weights without letting the sore parts of my hand touch but its a really difficult challenge.

I also have this big toe that seems fine most of the time, i injured it like 4 months ago and still every now and then, often during soccer, I step the wrong way or roll my toe under or stub it and it acts up again so I know it never completely healed.

Help! Im falling apart!

-Dylan

Achilles tendon problems from when I partially tore it years ago, still gives me grief for the first 10mins of a run before it comes right... I just put up with it now.

I don't know, sometimes I think these little niggles are what make us who we are and we kind of get used to working around them for many months, sometimes even years. I don't tend to get bothered by them as I'd like to think that my lifestyle and diet would offer them the optimal setting to heal up (if they were ever going to). Having said that, if they ever started to get worse I wouldn't hesitate to get a second opinion on them.

Like you said, could be an age thing. How old are you Dylan?

The same here. I injured my knee in the Winter and still kave pain, especially when the weather gets bad. It's important to stretch and try to strenghten the muscles around the tendons, so they don't take all the beating. Don't give up. Buy yourself a trackball - the M570 Logitech Wireless is a good choice, so the palm rests in one place. You could also try applying natural apple vinegar with a cotton cloth for about an hour at the place. Other than that - don't know, probably a good complete diet and some vegan glucosamine. I can't heal myself yet too...

Ahh this sounds all so familiar. I tend to sacrifice my body in hockey, leaving me battered and broken quite often. As a 27 year old, my body just doesn't heal as quick as it used to. I have been recovering from bruised ribs for the past month, making it extremely difficult in the gym.

Wrists. About 5 years ago I had some pretty weak wrists from poor typing a guitar technique, which became strong and good over a period of a year. And then aprrox 2 months ago (while I was making great progress with handstand pressup training) I bailed hard on my cycle and my wrists are poor again. Taking a very long time to come right.

I do always seem to be injuring myself though.

• 6 months later...
Bleh, I bumped my kneecap weeks ago and the knee/quadriceps tendon is still bothering me.

Well it is the condition that occurs when the tendon becomes inflamed and irritated that affects the tendon connecting the kneecap to the shinbone. Doctors usually suggests to go for surgeries in these cases but there are number of non surgical treatments such as acupuncture, water cycling, massage therapy, yoga etc available that can also help. I would suggest you to go for the one that suits you the best.