whats everyones view on the 5x5?

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

JubNZ
Manatee

Re: whats everyones view on the 5x5?

#16 Postby JubNZ » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:46 pm

Nice post HIT Rob, makes a lot of sense to me. I was trying to make my sets all at 8 reps for a while there, however I found that my bodies joints were feeling a lot of constant stress. So I have upped the reps again, with slightly lower weight. Its taking all the stress off the joints, yet I can feel the muscle really burning.

You put it in a way that I couldnt articulate :)
Just do it.

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#17 Postby HIT Rob » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:07 am

Hi mate,

high reps are a great way to manage stress, i personally like Brain Johnston's cluster sets (rest pause method), it allows for more cumulative fatigue, while still keeping the exercise within an anaerobic pathway.

Best
Rob

JubNZ
Manatee

#18 Postby JubNZ » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:22 am

HIT Rob wrote:Hi mate,

high reps are a great way to manage stress, i personally like Brain Johnston's cluster sets (rest pause method), it allows for more cumulative fatigue, while still keeping the exercise within an anaerobic pathway.

Best
Rob

Have you got any good links or something to read in regard to Johnston's methods?
Just do it.

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#19 Postby HIT Rob » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:38 pm

Yes Mate,

Brian only posts on the Dr Darden site, if you join the site you'll be able to access all his posts. Unfortunately he doesnt owned the rights to the zone training books anymore (there only published in Italian now).

This was the interview that got me on to his work, its a brilliant interview, he goes into a lot of detail, after i heard it i contacted him to buy the zone training DVD. http://www.highintensitynation.com/2013 ... -johnston/

Brain was also a keynote speaker at this years H.I.T resurgences event in May, i also bought this http://www.hitresurgence.com/buy-dvd, in this he demonstrates his Tri-angler training method and lectures on how Darwin's theory on evolution ties in with training, really interesting.

Hope this helps
Rob

JubNZ
Manatee

#20 Postby JubNZ » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:39 pm

Cheers Rob,

Have managed to locate a bunch of Brians post on the Dr Darden forum, have the tabs up ready to read, and will listen to the interview too!

Thanks alot!

Jub
Just do it.

AndiMorris
Manatee

#21 Postby AndiMorris » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:34 am

I did stronglifts 5x5 as my first ever attempt at a proper training program. I enjoyed it, but when I reached plateaus on squats, deads and press I found it very difficult to motivate myself to continue. Thankfully not long after I joined a Crossfit gym, which helped in this way mainly because of the near one to one coaching. It turns out my form was bad on both squats and deads, so I was quite lucky that I did lack the strength to go very heavy before I injured myself. Having a coach there really helps with motivation to push through plateaus.

Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”