• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6-4-13 1hr 5 min

1 leg squats 146x5 136x8 126x11 > 151/141/131

Weighted pullups 72.5x5 52.5x9 40x10 20x15 > 75/55/42.5/25

1 leg lunges 171 x8 > 176

1 leg calf raises 103x15x15 > 105.5

DB shoulder side raises 63x10x10

Since starting calorie and carb cycling and injuring myself my last workout on the 31st and then getting a bad Crohn's flare I realized I needed to make some minor tweaks to my routine/diet/life. I am not setting any hard-fast rules but in general I am now keeping my workouts around 1hr or 12-14 sets. If something NEEDS to be trained like an important compound, or if I need more rest between sets I will, but if I have to skip an isolation I will. I just felt like after 1hr 30 minutes I was so drained I was more prone to injury, I also think it was taxing my CNS more than necessary and maybe cutting a bit of gains off my heavier sets.

I am loosening my grip on my set/rep structure too. I am now saying, "Ok, I want to do 3x4-10 DB chest presses" So if I can get 191x3, I hold, if I get 4 or 5, great, I'll move on. My last two sets are more fluid allowing a greater range of reps because of the lightened weight. Instead of just stopping I will bang out a 9 instead of an 8, or an 11 instead of a 10. This also goes backwards, if I can only get 6 or 7 from an 8, fine, I'll hold it. I hope this blending and looser routine allows a better combo of flexibility where strength and size are concerned, without being too stressed about a specific number and hurting myself. Another change in this dept is I am not going over 12 reps, save for my calves. I felt like my CNS was slightly taxed from this higher CNS based stuff. As such I've dropped my burnouts from pullups, chinups, and pushups and just added an extra x12 to them.

Another change I am making is instead of doing On Off On Off On Off constantly I am now doing 1 whole circuit, A, B, C, then taking an extra day of rest to finalize and cap off recovery. So it will be A Off B Off C Off Off Repeat. I've also swapped Legs to A, and chest to B so my legs and back (squats and deads) are further from each other in terms of recovery. One last change in this dept. is I am only allowing a jog every 4th day; I am positive this attributed to my injury because of my hammered CNS. As such the rest of my cardio will be long walks on the beach with a qt vegan gf....or just lonely walks by myself with coyotes, and squirrels. ):

One last change I have made is to my diet/structure. Because of my missing Colon and partially removed small intestine my big diet was causing A LOT of problems. Because I am incontinent my ostomy bag would fill at night and I would be up and down consistently. I was having to sleep 9+ hours and even that was not cutting it. I was also getting constantly bag leaks. As such I am now cycling calories and carbs. On my off days I eat around 2,500kcal and drop some carbs, on lift days I eat roughly 3,500 and favor carbs, always favoring protein and keeping fats moderate. This started right after my injury on the 31st and after just a day or two adjustment period I am really liking it. My off days are a good day to let my guts rest, and I get snacks on my lifting day when I am hungriest. I am also eating less grains; oats on lifting days only, and pancakes with mom on Sunday. Again, this is not hard fast, I am not a man of absolutes, if I go for sushi I will eat some rice. But I am not stuffing my face with pasta and rice anymore; I've also removed vital wheat gluten from my dinner thus drastically reducing my gluten intake.

Sorry for the book, but being injured and house-ridden gives one time to rehash their priorities and make changes.

Much love my fellow vegetable heads. (:

-Kyle

cool post above mate, life throws us many hurdles just gotta keep jumping them and finding what works for us! i like reading about how much thought you put into your diet and training to help you overcome things, inspirational stuff pal! good luck continuing your journey!

6-6-13 1hr 10 min

1 arm DB chest press 95.5 x4 > Hold

DB chest press 181x5 166x9 > Hold

Weighted dips +87.5x5 65x7 45x11 22.5x12

DB chest flyes 63 x7x6 > Hold

DB Push pres 96 x8x8 > ?

I ran out of time and energy and decided to drop my reverse pyramid DB push press and just do 96 2x8. I may drop them altogether or move them since I am pretty fried once I finish my chest.

The one arm chest press went smoothly for my stronger right side but I struggled on my left side using only one or two solid reps and the rest negatives. I suspect I have found an imbalance in the power band of my left arm when I get heavier and I will hold at 95.5 and continue to work on my stability and strength imbalance on the. I decided to do these to help me self spot myself on my heavier sets; they are a bit awkward but I'll stick with it for a few weeks and see how I do.

Everything else went nicely. Going to San Diego for a week tomorrow; I'll lift at my sisters apartment complex gym.

Nice work in here CY, and that's a good run considering the heat. I love the hot weather but I think I would struggle in that sort of temperature! Much on for the weekend?

Thanks man, but it sucked so freaking bad. Haha. I went home and took an ice cold shower.

Mom and I are down in San Diego for a week watching my sisters place while they go back East. We started yesterday in Hemet at the hibachi super buffet with a crap ton of stir fry veggies, spring rolls, and veggie sushi rolls. I think we're going to the beach in Coronado and for more sushi, to Chipotle, and for Vegan cupcakes. I guess we're also going to catch up with an good friend of ours, divamom from this board. That has me excited, I miss her.

I'm trying to fatten mom up, she's looking a bit thin to me. She lost so much weight becoming a quasi-Vegetarian.

I don't have any pets at my house, save for insane squirrels and coyotes, and a bunny with a messed up ear, so I love being around my sisters cats. :3

How's life with you man?

6-8-13 1hr 19 min

DB deadlifts 201x5 186x8 166x10 > 206/191/171

Weighted chinups +87.5x4 62.5x7 50x10 25x9 BWx5 > Hold

EZ Bar curls 95x8x8 > X

1 arm DB rows 138x5 120.5x7 108x12 > 140.5/123/110.5

Shrugs X

I must have looked hilarious in the gym with my screw driver tightening down my hose clamp on my Ollympic DB collars, with my taped up vibrams and weight vest, and my tatty weightlifting journal; grunting, groaning and yelling, sweating and cursing. I don't like gyms, I am not there to flirt or impress people and have a good time. Leave me alone and let me destroy my body so I can come back stronger.

I am excited to start moving forward on DB deads. I was able to experiment with the larger diameter 35# plates doing deads and was happy they did not smash my testicles at the top of the lift. I have decided to invest in 4x 35s, 4x collars, and some more flooring on my way back home to Idyllwild.

I can't lift my arms.

6-9-13

Well I weighed myself for the first time in...man who knows how long? I don't even follow my body weight, I use my physique and strength as a guide. But just for curiosity sake I did weigh myself totally fasted, midway through glycogen depletion. Well I weigh 147lbs. This makes sense as previously eating 4,000 kcal I was dying. I am a little guy and I need no more than 3,000kcal on average, which is kind of where I sit now. It's funny because changing my diet I actually seem to have more energy in the gym.

I always kind of wished I was a bigger guy when I was younger, standing in at 5'5 1/2 inches I am not that impressive, I don't think genetics wise I could ever get over 150lbs-155lbs. Women don't really fall over for a guy they can step on, or so I thought. I always kind of wished I had a stockier build but I have a petite bone structure. Back in my younger years I was pretty woeful.

That doesn't really matter though, does it? We all die, dust to dust ashes. Our energy is simply recycled back into the Universe so there is no point in fretting over petty physical attributes. You are who you are and what you do with what you've been given is more important what you've been given. If a person cares enough to trash you based on uncontrollable genetic features then perhaps it's best to avoid that person and let them deal with their issues. The truest people don't really care, at all, and neither should I.

It's fun knowing my true weight now. Now I can snicker and say I am lifting XYZ times my body weight. I've accepted I am a pint sized powerhouse.

I'll update when I take a nice walk today.

That doesn't really matter though, does it? We all die, dust to dust ashes. Our energy is simply recycled back into the Universe so there is no point in fretting over petty physical attributes. You are who you are and what you do with what you've been given is more important what you've been given. If a person cares enough to trash you based on uncontrollable genetic features then perhaps it's best to avoid that person and let them deal with their issues. The truest people don't really care, at all, and neither should I.

very true pal, shame more ppl dont think like that these days....... those that matter do not mind, and those that mind do not matter!!!!!

Nice, I really like that

6-9-13

Well the info I have says the running trail here is 2.42 miles...problem is I ran that in 30 minutes flat, 2+ times. There's no way I ran nearly 4.75 miles in 30 minutes so, that would be a 6 1/2 minute mile, so I can only assume that information is wrong.

So I'll just say I ran for 30 minutes. *Shrug* Also trained abs.

6-10-13

Today I rest; just a bunch of walking around. Today is mom's day. I am taking her for Vegan cupcakes, a haircuit, and out to eat, I think we'll top it off with a visit to Torrey Pines.

I have been sleeping really well on 8-9 hrs of sleep since scaling back my diet. I'm only averaging 2,750kcal but I feel really amazing and strong. I tend to gravitate toward 3,000-3,100 on exercise days, and 2,400 to 2,700 on off days depending on if I run or not.

6-12-13

Went to the beach with mom today. Lots of walking, about 8-9 miles for myself.

Also went for a run when I got home even though my ostomy bag was leaking, 3/4 through the run it started to feel wet and cold; I ignored it, you know, stoma isn't the boss of me. Got home, peeled back my shorts to discover my side was covered in blood. The little guy must have gotten cut up by the bouncing ostomy bag. Oh well, quick shower, fresh bag and life goes on. Guess I won't be running with a leaking bag again.

At least I got a good run in (: 3 3/4 mile in less than 30 minutes.

I'm a little over my running quota for the week. I feel fine but I should'a only done 3 miles each day, I'll rest for two solid off days or one solid rest day and a half run day depending on what the boss man wants from me when I get back home.