Squat, bench, DL & occasional running

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys

Last night I did a double hill repeat with my running partner up our Rapaki track, its well known to all local runners as a tough slog. It's only 3.5km to the top, but man you have to work to get there! Here's my write up from last night...

"Double Rapaki track hill repeat with Jono, really good session working pretty hard on the uphills (which comprised 50% of the run).

Split #1, 47mins: I attacked hard on the final 1km climb then ran out of gas about 100m from the top! Jono passed me and I managed to somehow claw back to finish level with him at the peak ~ round I to Jono though, he seemed stronger and the whole way up he had a slight lead on me

Split #2, 46mins: I think we might have gone up the initial 2.5km a little quicker than the first time (?) but we both agreed to take the final climb a bit easier. Having said that, about halfway up I was feeling really good so put a few surges in and took over at the front. Every time Jono pulled level I surged again (I found this quite amusing, sorry SuperJ). Final sprint to the top ~ round II to me.

Descended a lot faster and managed to run a negative split, great run that started in sunshine and finished in the dark MF."

375121_10151505583608720_1733155020_n.jpg

(you can see the final 1km climb I am talking about in the background of the photo)

Stats:

Distance: 14.2km

Time: 1:32.55

Ave Spd: 9.17kph

Total ascent: 1,910ft

Min HR: 107bpm

Ave HR: 162bpm

Max HR: 188bpm (only 4 beats off my max)!

How are you doing MF ?

I needed a little help , i am starting running as well from next week and aiming to start by hitting 5kms within 7-8 weeks .

Now i want to know the normal running shoes we find in Adidas or Reebok stores say around 40-50$ ones are they okay for someone who's just starting out or i need to get the expensive stuff ?

I needed a little help , i am starting running as well from next week and aiming to start by hitting 5kms within 7-8 weeks .

Now i want to know the normal running shoes we find in Adidas or Reebok stores say around 40-50$ ones are they okay for someone who's just starting out or i need to get the expensive stuff ?

Hey buddy. If your goal is to hit 5km over the course of a couple of months, save your money. You can probably run in just about anything up to and around the 10km mark IMHO.

How are you doing MF ?

Well I have basically been 'instructed' by my cardiologist that I can't compete or race anymore, so I will be back in the gym as well as the running; to me there's no point solely running if I can't enter any running races, so I'm going to just try and chase the combo of staying as fit and strong as possible. The tests that I did (three of them) rung a few alarm bells and it's supposedly quite serious (although apart from the fibrillations/heartbeat skips I feel fine and in reasonable shape and fit). I'll probably start logging my weight training sessions back into this journal and write up my running in here as well.

The cardiologist told me the longest I can run is up to 50km (that was after I got him up from his initial recommendation of a marathon at training pace haha) but efforts like that need to be infrequent. On one hand I was pretty gutted that I can't compete anymore, but if I look at the big picture it's not all bad I guess. I'm now waiting to hear back from them as it looks like I will be having surgery at some point to have a stent fitted, need to have a read up and find out what that involves and how serious/big the operation is.

Cheers MF.

... I'm going to just try and chase the combo of staying as fit and strong as possible.

+1

Good for you for not being too headstrong to listen to your doctors. The good thing is that you can still do the physical activities you enjoy (running and lifting).

Was it also lifting competitions your doctor advised against, or only the running variety?

Good luck with your upcoming surgery. Ask them to throw in some bionic implants while they're at it.

"Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic forklift. James Styler will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster."

I am glad that you get an annual check up regularly and that really got the problem in hand before it would have been late . I can understand it might not be the greatest feeling to cut back on training but you have to take it positively as cutting on somethings will help you lead out better life in other aspects . My uncle got a Stent fitted around 5 years back after suffering from a heart attack , he is doing pretty well now with minor adjustments to foods he is allowed to eat . It was surprising to me because he has been a Vegan for 50 years , no alcohol and no smoke and i related heart attack to unfit fat non vegans .

Did the doc tell you the reason considering you have been so active and precise with your nutrition ?

Did the doc tell you the reason considering you have been so active and precise with your nutrition ?

Absolutely! Sorry to hear about your Uncle, I'm glad he is doing well now. Shows that none of us are invincible no matter what steps we take to lead an active and healthy life.

Anyway, I have some good news... was nice to wake up to a fairly decent cheque that came in the mail for some writing I did last year. Completely unexpected

Surprise.jpg.f4531c99078e0f59cafc981feca55c83.jpg

What is that in real money?

Just kidding bro, the American dollar is so freaking weak. Buy something nice for the wife and kiddos. =P

1 Australian dollar = 0.9513 U.S. dollars

3312 Australian dollars = 3 150.7056 U.S. dollars

source: google.com =)

Lol.

Close, though

OH. SNAP. I don't think the Kiwis like being called Aussies and vice versa. =P Better run!

Honestly, I can't outrun an Aussie... I mean a Kiwi.. i mean... MF =)

Haha you got no chance!

I told a lady at work today I was a Kiwi, she thought that meant I was an Aussie. She didnt click even after I told her that means New Zealander. RAGE!

Good session last night, 30mins weights followed up by 30mins cardio

FRIDAY 7th JUNE

Incline D.Bell press (3 sets 12/10/8)

Incline D.Bell Flyes (3 sets 12/12/10)

EZ B.Bell military press (3 sets 12/10/10)

Wide grip lat pulldowns (3 sets 12/10/10)

Hagley Park run: 30mins/6km (ave spd 12kph)

Thanks for everyone's comments on my health btw, I feel I should probably listen to the doctors this time (for once). If it was anything other than my heart I wouldn't be so concerned.

I never mentioned it up until now, but today June 10th marks the one month anniversary that I lost one of my friends, Kevin Yee. Kevin was like me, in his late 30's and very fit ~ also a Personal Trainer (usually the first one training in the gym on his own at 6am).

222284_5764893091_7034_n.jpg

He died from a heart attack in his sleep and left behind two young kids, he had less symptoms than I do now so it's been somewhat been playing on my mind since his passing.