Glad to be amongst fellow vegan bodybuilders!

tomvegan

Hello everybody,

I'm Tom from the Netherlands and have started bodybuilding when I was 15 years old. When I turned 17, I started partying and forgot all about bodybuilding or living healthy. I always wanted to go back to the bodybuilding lifestyle but it was very hard (nearly impossible) to combine it with smoking and drinking beers all the time.

My comeback was when I became straight edge at the age of 23. I made this huge change because I wanted to be in full control of my life and body again, plus I dated a girlfriend who was already straight edge. That only strengthened my beliefs and gave me the power to go for it.

After more than 26 years of eating animal products I became more and more intrigued by the vegan lifestyle. I already listened to certain vegan (straight edge) hardcore bands and thanks to Facebook I saw what humans were doing to the animals on a massive scale, daily. Again, my girlfriend was the first to make the transition to a new lifestyle and I followed a couple of months later. I had no reason to keep eating meat, except for the taste. It just wasn't worth it anymore. Besides all the pain and suffering of the animals, I realized that is what doing my body more harm than good and is also bad for the environment. Just to be clear: I became vegan for the animals in the first place and for myself second.

So I finished all my leftover meat, eggs and whey protein shakes and after the last scoop I claimed vegan on the 30th of May 2013. In the mean time I read up on vegan bodybuilding, which is also made it easier for me to fully drop all animal products. I now knew that it WAS possible to maintain a bodybuilding lifestyle without animal products.

I hope to learn more from everyone of you and am very happy to be part of this forum.

Cheers!

Tom.

Hey we have very similar stories. I've been sober (drugs and alcohol) for 6 1/2 years. Quit smoking at the same time. It may take a few years but your lungs should be 100 pct. Good luck and welcome to the forums.

Hey we have very similar stories. I've been sober (drugs and alcohol) for 6 1/2 years. Quit smoking at the same time. It may take a few years but your lungs should be 100 pct. Good luck and welcome to the forums

Hey Emrys, good job on the being sober part! Thanks for welcoming me to the forums.

Hey Tom,

Cool story there, must say I had too look up what Straight Edge was, its cool, learn something new everyday

Welcome to the forums!

Haha good to read that! It's a pretty common thing in the punk and hardcore scene, but outside those subcultures not so much!

Welcome to the forums man! Do you listen to earth crisis at all?

Thanks! Yeah, I'm a big fan. Wasn't always though. When I first heard them I was a teenager and mainly listened to metal. I had this sampler where I was introduced to Earth Crisis and Vision of Disorder, but hated them both haha. Years later I listened to them again and now I can appreciate their work, especially Earth Crisis' complete discography. I'm a big hardcore fan and visit several shows. I'm also in the brutal hardcore band Skidmark: https://www.facebook.com/Skidmarkofficial

Earth Crisis, Vegan Reich, xTrue Naturex, First Blood and other vegan straight edge bands helped convincing me that the vegan way of life was the way to go.