How did you learn to do proper deadlifts and squats?

Dillcue

I was lucky enough to have a friend show me the ropes, but you are right, don't risk it or rush it.

I'm not sure how friendly the members of your gym are, but most people at my gym are pretty open to helping each other out with form/technique!

Also, start LIGHT! Don't be embarrassed and risk injury!

• 2 weeks later...

I watched U-tube videos and started off with really light weights. I stated off with the empty bars of 10kg for squat and deadlift, 3 sets of 15 reps 3 times a week. And I added 2kg at each workout.

In the beginning I did not strain at all, really no effort at all. But I was so afraid hurting myself by rushing things that I really added only 2kg per workout. I concentrated on good form, looked a lot in the side mirror to check if my back is really straight.

I continued that way for 3 months (where I lifted my bodyweight) and continued first with 3x8reps, then gradually with 5x5 and 3x5 reps until reaching 1.5x my bodyweight after 6 months of training.

The method worked really well for my. I really gained in strength and I never hurt myself. Sore muscles yes, but never joint or tendon problems.

• 5 weeks later...

Train with powerlifters - even if they aren't "trainers" they are usually exceptional technicians for squatting and deadlifting - they have to be to move big weights safely!

Louie Simmons' work is exceptional and he is very detail oriented when it comes to squats and deadlifts - that's where I started.

Mark Rippetoe's book Starting Strength gives fantastic instructions for squat / bench / deadlift / press / and clean. While his technique varies considerably from a more "hardcore" powerlifting approach, SS is one of the most detail oriented books I've every seen.

If you are researching online, find someone reputable - who's either moved big weights, or coaches people who move big weights - and if the recommendations of theirs work for you, stick with it. Don't mix and match different advice. You'll find many different ways to squat and they will all work - just find the method that works for you and don't get too overwhelmed with all the information out there. Just find what is the most efficient, and most importantly safe, technique that works for your body type, leverage, etc.

I would have to say that deadlifting requires a personal trainer, hands down. I have damaged my back severely from doing it based on internet teachings. You just can't get the form perfect enough to do it safely without someone telling you every tiny thing you're doing wrong in person.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 years later...