Squat, bench, DL & occasional running

@MF I

did some interval running today out on the street with 8 Splits of 1 minute Run and 1:30 minute slow walk . It was very slow nothing intense but by my 3rd or 4th running split my calves really felt a strong burn .

Is this okay as i am running after ages and have never really been a running person or could be it a running form problem ?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the end of the week came right and I got quite a bit done with work. Tried a new dish from my local vegan restaurant last night, black peppered steak (I think they use mushroom and soy) and that was delicious. The wife made some beautiful spicy pumpkin soup so I cooked up some potato, yams, kumara and carrots to go with it. What a great couple of feeds (see photos attached).

483615143_Spicypumpkinsoup.jpg.cb4e97e3a89e0bd7312dbef7fcd7f4aa.jpg

1349069856_Blackpeppersteak.jpg.9380c72dc1e86ff71d2f9c9b3676e54d.jpg

@MF I

did some interval running today out on the street with 8 Splits of 1 minute Run and 1:30 minute slow walk . It was very slow nothing intense but by my 3rd or 4th running split my calves really felt a strong burn .

Is this okay as i am running after ages and have never really been a running person or could be it a running form problem ?

It's probably just down to conditioning ~ being new to the running and trying to adapt to the change of training stimulus.

Doesn't sound like a problem per se, it should ease off and go away as your running fitness increases. I'd probably up your walk/recovery time to 2mins though, that will probably help a little. Let me know how you go

Hey stranger

I'm only on my iPod atm, so I haven't looked back to completely catch up. You keeping well? I saw one post on this last page about your health, what's been going on? Sorry for being such an awful blog-friend lately. I'll try to do better

Thanks for the tip MF will try and do it 2:1 for a couple of sessions and get used to running .

Strength training till June end , then i start flying again and the timetable goes crazy . Will try and do some hypertrophy workouts for a while till winter comes in around September when i get back to Bulking . I am already 87kgs on Weighing scale and i have medical on 1st August and i need to cut down 5kgs atleast so more of running in June .

Whats the latest update from the doctors ?

Whats the latest update from the doctors ?

Luckily I have a doctor that is open to natural therapies, he's keeping me off BP meds, statins etc. So I've started a new 'heart' supplement routine and he has me taking the following each day:

Omega 3 (algal sourced): 4,000mg

Magnesium: 1,000mg

D-Ribose: 10g

Vitamin D: 10,000IU

The aim is to reduce the fibrillations and improve the functioning of my heart over the next few months. I'm really optimistic

I completely agree mate.

SATURDAY 15th JUNE

Strict Standing Military press (2 sets 12/12)

Smith bench (3 sets 12/8/10)

Inc. D.Bell press (3 sets 12/10/8)

Wide grip dips (3 sets 6/6/6)

80m Farmers Walk with the 66's (2 sets)

Treadmill: 30mins/3km (ave spd 6.0kph/incline = 2.0)

Thanks Ross, yep everything is good here. Forecast to have the worst snow in 30yrs coming on Thu/Fri so that should be interesting !!

Yeah I'm liking being back in the gym. I trained legs last night and I'm weak as hell which is a bit depressing lol, kinda hard to put any kind of intensity and feel into it when you know that the weights you're pushing are laughable. I could have brought have bought home a Thai ladyboy and done some naked pushups in our bedroom and it would have been a less gay workout than what I did at the gym. I might write it up later.

But I probably won't.

I could have brought have bought home a Thai ladyboy and done some naked pushups in our bedroom and it would have been a less gay workout than what I did at the gym. I might write it up later.

Baahahaha! Couldn't have been that bad man! You'll get back on top again! (With the lifting I mean, not with thai ladyboys)

Woah what a contrast its super hot here, weird talking about the weather with someone in the southern hemisphere

Thanks Ross, yep everything is good here. Forecast to have the worst snow in 30yrs coming on Thu/Fri so that should be interesting !!

Yeah I'm liking being back in the gym. I trained legs last night and I'm weak as hell which is a bit depressing lol, kinda hard to put any kind of intensity and feel into it when you know that the weights you're pushing are laughable. I could have brought have bought home a Thai ladyboy and done some naked pushups in our bedroom and it would have been a less gay workout than what I did at the gym. I might write it up later.

But I probably won't.

If you think about it, it's actually kind of cool, that in the short amount of time you were away from heavy strength training, your body completely switched its muscular adaptation to deal with the stresses of endurance running. The human body can be a remarkable machine at times. That applies to Thai ladyboys as well, or whatever you're getting yourself into these days.

If you think about it, it's actually kind of cool, that in the short amount of time you were away from heavy strength training, your body completely switched its muscular adaptation to deal with the stresses of endurance running. The human body can be a remarkable machine at times. That applies to Thai ladyboys as well, or whatever you're getting yourself into these days.

Thanks for that, appreciate your comments. Never thought about it that way and that's kinda neat!

Apart from an average training session on Monday night, the weekend was great. Misa loved her 10 pin bowling party, she got a couple of strikes but was a little disappointed that her 4yr old sister ended up beating her

1000783_10151540887363720_217502919_n.jpg

I'll write up my session later when I get into work. Yesterday was a rest day, going to hit some compound upper body tonight.

Early (5am) morning run: McLeans Island loop

TIME: 3hr30

DIST: 33.9km

AVG SPD: 9.25kph

** Held a good pace for the middle 1/3 of the run and felt great pretty much throughout. Fairly tired when I got back home but that was because I was up to eat at 4am

Evening weights

45mins

Inc. bench (3 sets 12/10/8)

Flat D.Bell press (3 sets 12/10/10)

D.Bell Pullovers (3 sets 10/10/10)

Ab work: 10mins

859298458_McLeansIslandroute.jpg.4dc343aff6d5459a3568debe32538ac2.jpg

Sun 23rd June

PRE-WO:

Vegan lasagne, pumpkin soup

300mg magnesium, 5g D-Ribose + 2 x Kre-Alkalyn

50mins

Inc. bench (3 sets 10/10/8)

Inc. D.Bell press (3 sets 10/10/8)

Conventional DL's (4 sets 12/12/10/10)

D.Bell rows (2 sets 10/10)

Cl.Gr. Pulldowns (2 sets 10/10)

Ab work: 10mins

POST-WO:

Vege protein shake (pea protein isolate) + 2 x Kre-Alkalyn

V-Omega 3's + Vit D3

http://www.lifestream.co.nz/Products/V-Omega-3/default.aspx

FRIDAY 28th JUNE

PRE-WO:

Triple espresso

1 x Banana, 1 x nashi pear

50mins

Chinups (3 sets 8/8/8)

Pullups (3 sets 8/8)

Conventional DL's (4 sets 12/10/10/8)

Rows (3 sets 10/10/10)

D.Bell pullovers (3 sets 10/10/8)

POST-WO:

Vege protein shake (pea protein isolate) + 2 x Kre-Alkalyn

THURSDAY 28th JUNE

Port Hills hilly trail/road run

308_21873068719_6985_n.jpg

TIME: 4hr30

DIST: 41km

AVG SPD: 9.11kph

** Had good fun with this, had the day off work and headed up into the hills with some food and good music. Easy(ish) and consistent pace throughout.

Man what beautiful country!!!! Where I live has such huge pines and hardwoods that you can't see far off very many places. Nice run there too and sounds like a great day!