stomach bloating

Does anyone have any experience with stomach bloating? I'm finding that my stomach has been way more bloated than usual and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this and what you did to reduce this bloating and flatten your stomach again. Thanks.

Hello S-Ray,

I was just discussing something similar in another thread here http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35511

It may be the amount of water and fiber volume you are consuming when eating a plant based diet, especially if you are consuming large amounts of food.

For me, usually my stomach goes back down by the next morning.

Are you saying you stomach stays bloated all the time?

Hi ThePhytoAthlete,

Thanks for responding! Yes, I do find that the bloating goes down in the mornings for myself as well. I just haven't had this problem with bloating before, and I can't quite put my finger on what might be causing it. Can you tell me a little more what you mean when you mention it may be the amount of water/fiber volume? Do you mean even if I'm consuming low calorie food, etc that the amount is too much? I do tend to drink a lot of liquids - water, decaf coffee, seltzer, (occasionally beer haha.) But I always have, so this isn't anything new. Thoughts?

Thanks!

On the water volume, what I am referring to is most plant foods are very high in water content. I find I don't have to drink near as much fluids as before I started eating this way because I get so much fluid from the foods I eat. Fruits and vegetables are easier to notice the water content in them, but even foods like beans/rice suck up a lot more water into them when cooked then people may realize.

The fiber volume, I am referring to that plant foods contain a lot of fiber and resistant starch which aren't broken down or digested by the digestive tract. So this creates a lot of bulk feeling in your stomach/intestines and may make you feel bloated.

So the water and fiber content combined can sometimes really "blow you up" for a period of time.

How long have you been eating this way? If not long, it may be that your body over time is adjusting to your new way of eating and becoming more sensitive to other not so healthy foods. By this I mean, since I started eating healthy, I notice if I eat something not so healthy, it effects my A LOT more than it did before when I ate unhealthy foods all the time. This is your body actually rejecting these unhealthy foods. I have been eating this way now for nearly six years, and it seems that just gets worse with time.(maybe the only down side to eating healthy if you want to consider that a downside?). So now, maybe the coffee, seltzer, beer or possibly other foods are effecting you in a negative why that they didn't before.

Yes, I guess you could have developed some type of food allergy. You could get tested for food allergies or just try to eliminate certain foods to see if their is a positive change.

And it is still possible your body is rejecting some of these unheathly foods, even after 12 yrs. The longer you eat healthy the more your body heals itself and more likely some unhealthy foods could effect you. Although, I agree you would think it would have happened before now, but you never know. You may want to eliminate them one at a time to see if any thing changes. That is about the only way you can really figure it out, is just to eliminate things as you go and see what happens.

For me, even eating things I don't normally eat but you wouldn't think were that bad, but aren't what I would consider healthy such as a muffin or instant oatmeal will effect me negatively with indigestion. Your body can become very sensitive over time and what it is sensitive to can change as well.