South Africa

Introduce yourself. Tell us about your training history, how long you've been vegan, share some of your goals and some of your interests.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Dangaboy
Rabbit

South Africa

#1 Postby Dangaboy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:52 am

Hi All,

Well only a plant based vegan for around 3 weeks. Decided that I need to get off my ass and do something. On 9 different prescribed medications per day. My first goal is to do a marathon in early November 2013 and then the big one: Comrades next year. (http://www.comrades.com/)

Looking forward to learn from the forum. :D

Stats:
Weight - 115kg (254 pounds)
1.8 m tall
BMI of around 34.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ
VBB Moderator, Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

Re: South Africa

#2 Postby Mini Forklift Ⓥ » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:20 am

Wow, what a great goal! As a runner myself I am familiar with Comrades, in fact I was listening to one of the Talk Ultra podcasts last week and they had Bruce Fordyce talking about the race, that guy is a living legend and truly inspirational.

All the best with your goals, hopefully you can start up a training journal so we can all follow along with your progress. I'm sure you will settle in really quickly here, it's a great community full of friendly people MF.

Dangaboy
Rabbit

#3 Postby Dangaboy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:01 am

Thanks MF! Yeah Bruce is a living legend in the sport. I have met him a few times. Very nice guy and always helpful!

I will start a log under running. What started me to get back into running after many years was reading the book from Scott Jurek. Also a serious legend in my book. Currently busy with Rich Rolls book. Starting with my marathon training program on Monday! Let the fun begin!!

Mini Forklift Ⓥ
VBB Moderator, Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

#4 Postby Mini Forklift Ⓥ » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:58 pm

Sounds like you are reading some good books, I am reading Jurek's one at the moment and Roll's is next for me to read!

You'll probably also like a book by a guy named Marshall Ullrich, he ran across the States. That was a cool read!

C.O.
VBB Moderator

#5 Postby C.O. » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:11 pm

Hey Dangaboy, welcome! Cheers to making moves toward your health and to working towards getting yourself off those medications!

-Dylan

Dangaboy
Rabbit

#6 Postby Dangaboy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:34 am

Thanks CO! Thanks for the recommendation MF. Have placed my order for the book!

I also ordered:
Thrive: The Vegan Nutrition Guide to Optimal Performance in Sports and Life and
Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Return to “Introductions”