Is it possible to tone your muscles and gain mass

I was just wondering whether this is true are not. Experts say that if you want to develop more muscle you should use smaller weights and more reps but for more mass you should lift heavier weights and less reps. Let's say for each week, on Monday you lift small weights for more reps but on Friday you lift heavy and lift less. Would I be able to develop more muscle and gain mass at the same time.( this only pertains to biceps and triceps, on Wednesdays I would work out abs so no lifting involved)

train as heavy as u can. if your diet is right u wont get fat and you will create a hormonal environment conducive to muscle gains and minimal fat gain. basically u need to kick ur own ass at the gym. muscles will come. ppl just use the higher rep light weight excuse to be lazy and then they wonder why they dont get reuslts.

Hi T,

As Lauren points out, Intense training is a must for increasing size and strength....

The stimulus MUST be severe enough to warrant an adaptive response from the body. Eat clean, and as exercise is merely the stimulus, insure you allow sufficient time for recovery AND overcompensation, ie growth.

Best

Rob

Focus on the contraction itself and keeping your muscles tense. Yes, it is important to pick a weight that is heavy and challenging for you, but if your form is off and you're essentially swinging the weight into position using momentum and your whole body, you're not going to place enough tension on the muscle to grow. I know it seems self-explanatory, but it's one of the biggest mistakes I see from people in the gym I work at. Heavy enough to be a challenge, light enough to truly place tension on the muscle, and stay in control of the weight.

What most people don't realize is that you can't get that "toned" look without lifting heavy. Everyone who posted so far speaks the truth. I have been a member and visitor of many gyms and what I've noticed is that the people who lift light weights and perform over 15 reps have absolutely no muscle tone.

^^^ This! Exactly! No offense to tementaXCD meant at all...but I have grown to despise how most people talk to me and ask me "how to get toned". Sometimes they follow it up with "you know, i don't want to get too big". Well I give them the news that they need to lift heavy and eat correctly. I also tell them "I promise you that you won't wake up one morning, look in the mirror, and say....OH NO...I'm way too big!" It ain't that easy. Even that "toned" look that people mention comes with hard a** work and dedication!

I also tell them "I promise you that you won't wake up one morning, look in the mirror, and say....OH NO...I'm way too big!" It ain't that easy.

Seriously. It takes a LOT of planning and consideration. If it were THAT easy to gain mass, don't you think every 19 year old bro would look like Ronnie Coleman by now?

I also tell them "I promise you that you won't wake up one morning, look in the mirror, and say....OH NO...I'm way too big!" It ain't that easy.

Seriously. It takes a LOT of planning and consideration. If it were THAT easy to gain mass, don't you think every 19 year old bro would look like Ronnie Coleman by now?

True or even one of my favorite natural BB'ers like Joe Franco. Very down to earth guy (it seems) and dude knows how to lean down! BUT...he's not a vegan.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/sites/default/files/images/articles/articles/joe-franco.jpg