MF's top 10 tips

MF's top 10 tips

1044203_10151580864833720_1641194687_n.jpg

1. Diet is everything

2. Learn what training methodology YOU respond best to, don't let a trainer, friend etc try to talk you into a routine promising you that it's the best way to train. Everyone is different ~ there is no 'best'

3. Don't underestimate recovery

4. Consistency and intensity are probably the two most important factors in ensuring success or failure

5. ENJOY your training. I have yet to meet a fit, strong and healthy athlete that didn't like to train

6. Drink more water

7. Drink less caffeine

8. Sleep at least 8 hours a night (not including sex). Yes, you can count sex as cardio

9. If you are doing all of the above, expect results

10. Keep in mind that a large majority of supplements are a waste of money, if you do want to use supplementation then stick to the basics and the tried and tested. Creatine, protein, a good multivitamin & mineral complex etc. There are no shortcuts, good things take time!

When you say "diet IS everything" - can you give a few tips on what you mean by that? I mean, obviously I know it means that you shouldn't eat junk food - but are there more specific "rules" around diet that you follow?

Also, sex is totally cardio in bed. Haha.

Thanks.

When you say "diet IS everything" - can you give a few tips on what you mean by that? I mean, obviously I know it means that you shouldn't eat junk food - but are there more specific "rules" around diet that you follow?

Also, sex is totally cardio in bed. Haha.

Thanks.

Like what you say there, keep junk food and/or cheat meals controlled. Other things I would enforce are keeping up your intake of healthy fats and EFA's ~ a bonus for guys as this has been linked to improved testosterone production. Nuts, coconut oil, avocado's, vegan EPA/DHA if you can get hold of it as this tends be a lot better than flax oil.

The rest is probably commonsense: lots of colourful fruit and vegetables, emphasise raw/sprouted/fermented foods and limit processed foods, reduce/cut out sugar, replace soda drinks with herbal teas.

Hope that helps

Hi MF,

Agree with everything...

Though, with no.2, "we are all different", yes genetics has Ecto, meso and Endo, or you're got midgets at one end and giants at the other, with everything in-between. All true, that said, we all have the same basic needs, food, water, shelter, sleep etc, we all burn carbs at a rate of 4 calories per gram, we all burn fat at a rate of 9 calories per gram, are physiology is still the same, if this were not the case, doctors would not be able to prescribe medicines, preform surgeries or make diagnosis's.

I would also agree that there is no one size fits all "routine", there is basic principles of exercise physiology that are universal set by nature, exercise must be intense enough to stimulate an adaptive response, brief enough for intensity to be maximized and infrequent enough for to allow for recovery and growth production (as you mention in no.3 & 4).