What do you like/dislike about this forum?

Hi all

Over the next week or so I plan to sit down and have a good look at the functions and features of the board. Keen to hear what you like, what you think could be better as well as any ideas you might have to make it run better. For example, I noticed that there's another forum that has two buttons which I think are great; one is a 'thanks' and the other is a 'reputation' button. They go towards the users ranking on the board, is a nice little touch (and I've often wanted to say a quick thanks to someone on here before haha).

I'll have to see if this forum has the capability to add a 'like' or 'thanks' button in response to someone's post. Anyhow, I'll shut up now and look forward to hearing some of your thoughts and ideas. Thanks in advance MF.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A rep bar would be rad! And a 'thanks/like' function would be cool too. I don't know if its already a function but favouriting specific threads would be awesome, just for convinience when it comes to finding them, for example if I want to find the strength table quickly it could already be bumped at the top if I favourite it

A rep bar would be rad! And a 'thanks/like' function would be cool too. I don't know if its already a function but favouriting specific threads would be awesome, just for convinience when it comes to finding them, for example if I want to find the strength table quickly it could already be bumped at the top if I favourite it

Great suggestion Ross, completely agree with you there

I think the rep bar would be really nice. It helps you gauge whether you are getting good or bad information. Like a particular post would be nice too.

Would be nice to have a Calorie and Macro posting like bodybuilding.com has. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981 It's used as like the holy grail. It alone has 1.4m views. I hate to direct people there instead of here but since this post is so good I direct them there. Since calculation your basic metabolic rate and macros, if you really get into bodybuilding, is so important would be nice to have something here. Sorry if there is one and I've missed it.

I think the rep bar would be really nice. It helps you gauge whether you are getting good or bad information. Like a particular post would be nice too.

I agree, the 'like' button has permeated our internet. I was wishing for it on here just a couple weeks ago.

The one thing that annoys me a lil bit is the large amount of stickies/announcements on the forum. Putting all the info into a couple threads would be ideal I think. Health & Nutrition is niggly!

Something that could be done is a readers digest, the top 3 threads of each month could be put into a post with links to them, or something along those lines.

Would be happy to help out with both!

Jub.

edit: also, has there been a massive surge in traffic last couple weeks? My Journal thread has had 100~ views/day almost that last couple weeks, up until then it was less than 25/day???

The one thing that annoys me a lil bit is the large amount of stickies/announcements on the forum. Putting all the info into a couple threads would be ideal I think. Health & Nutrition is niggly!

I have just had a look at that buddy, many of them were old so I just changed them to regular threads. Cheers for the feedback ~ and yes, the site is definately a lot busier which is great!

As long as we have a like/dislike/upvote/downvote system, let's make sure there is a big sticky that says, "People shouldn't be downvoted for their opinions, unless they try to present those opinions as hard facts without providing proper sources."

I hate it on places like Reddit where people will be downvoted just for having an opinion that disagrees with the popular voices. :/

As long as we have a like/dislike/upvote/downvote system, let's make sure there is a big sticky that says, "People shouldn't be downvoted for their opinions, unless they try to present those opinions as hard facts without providing proper sources."

I hate it on places like Reddit where people will be downvoted just for having an opinion that disagrees with the popular voices. :/

I really think having a 'thumbs up' or ;like' button would be nice; TBH the thought of having a 'dislike' button had never crossed my mind. I think even if there could be one added in I'm not sure how having it would be of any benefit to all of us that post on here.

Debates and discussion are fine, it's an avenue of learning and as long as it stays civil and on track then that's simply an aspect of any good forum. If someone wants to challenge and provide a counter-argument then I'd rather they did that as opposed to doing that and then following that up with negative feedback to the original poster.

Just as an FYI, I am looking into adding a like Button and reputation system. As for a blogging system, not sure yet. It's almost tempting me to move the system over to vBulletin as many of those features are native to it. I'll probably add them next week (this upcoming work week will have me busy/focused on other stuff so once it's over.. )

Just as an FYI, I am looking into adding a like Button and reputation system. As for a blogging system, not sure yet. It's almost tempting me to move the system over to vBulletin as many of those features are native to it. I'll probably add them next week (this upcoming work week will have me busy/focused on other stuff so once it's over.. )

I'd like the option to have a little pop-up message appear when you get a PM, I quite often don't notice I have one until I get an email telling me lol.

You wanna know what I dislike about this site? But it’s something that the owner and moderators should dislike too. I hate that the links in signatures and forum post takes you away from this site. This is not good. You never ever ever ever want the forum members, lurkers or browsers to be taken away from this wonderful forum. When someone clicks on a link it should open another window while keeping the original one up and running in the background.

Yesterday I was reading Rob’s post and clicked on the interview which took me completely out of this forum and on to the ironmagazine’s site. After reading the article I clicked on the photo tab and the next thing I knew I was on their site for fifteen minutes before closing all their windows and moving on to something else. But then it hit me two hours later “Akilah? Aren't you supposed to update your journal on veganbodybuilding.com?” Oh yes, that was my original destination. Since I was taken off this forum I forgot all about it. The website master of this forum needs to include a script in the php code that will open a new window on all links listed in signatures, post and replies. You want to keep all your organic traffic here instead of sending them some where else. This will make the forum rank high on google and other search engines in addition to raising the page rank of this forum. Why is this so important? It provides more viability and presence on the internet in addition to attracting more visitors and members.

Very good point, I am sure I have thought the same before but never got round to doing anything about it

I will take a look and see if I can get that changed, thanks for the feedback and suggestion docakilah, MF.

• 2 months later...
Hey MF, how about an "Activism" page? I think it would be cool to add as a measure of spreading veganism, and the ending of animal exploitation. What do you say?

Great idea. Leave it with me, it can take a little more time adding in a new section to the forum but it could turn out to be a valuable addition. Thanks

Hey MF, how about an "Activism" page? I think it would be cool to add as a measure of spreading veganism, and the ending of animal exploitation. What do you say?

Great idea. Leave it with me, it can take a little more time adding in a new section to the forum but it could turn out to be a valuable addition. Thanks

Will do, and glad you like the idea! It came to mind when I was poring over the various animal rights group emails I receive (PETA, MFA, etc). Looking forward to posting!

• 5 months later...

I I would like to have a super active Facebook version so we can EASILY post photos larger format and conenctions this is very simple and woudl be possibly for dual posting meaning for posting the same items but with more visual ease. Facebook has the template and no need to reinvent it just start an easily reference facebook page (and let me know when you do)

Hi,

I just joined and tried to post an introduction message. After I submitted it, I looked everywhere in my profile and on the forum, and there was NO evidence that I had even written anything. I just rewrote the post, resubmitted it, and the same thing happened.

I understand that my post needs to be approved by the moderators before being posted to the forum, and perhaps this is the reason it isn't posted on the forum yet.

However:

It would be very, very helpful if somewhere in my profile, I was able to view these messages (perhaps under the "View your posts" link) with a "Pending moderator approval" note. Otherwise, this is a confusing process.

Thanks so much for considering!

• 1 month later...

Possibly make the search more standoutish? Or is there a way to get people to use it? hahaha. Its the same 12 topics posted over and over again...and people rarely use the search to see what others had discussed about those topics early before they post their question.

• 3 months later...