Gay marriage almost legal, however homophobia on the rise

mythil

Well if you guys didn't know I am bisexual and I just so happen to be dating a guy and we have been going out for two years, so gives a little context for this.

Soon (hopefully) the UK is going to allow gay marriage. Now what that means is that a gay couple will have the same rights as everyone else given to them by the state, so the church doesn't need to get involved. Anyway in the UK the church does not say weather you are married or not, they hold the ceremony but the government has to approve things and give out the rights, so the idea of marriage has had little to do with the church for a long while. Now that last thing is for the queen to give her blessing to the passing of the paper, she does have final veto on all government decisions but if she does veto it I see a lot of hate coming her way.

On the notion of hate. Anti gay/lesbian hate grimes are on the up and up it seems, especially in London. The majority of people interviewed in some areas say that they think homosexuality is either bad or that gay and lesbian people should die for it. Now there are a lot of things I don't agree with in the world and killing someone for doing something you don't like is one of them.

It astounds me that we're in the 21st century and hate crimes are still being committed. The amount of crimes has gone up and a lot of statistics organizations believe that it should be even higher as gay people aren't reporting crimes due to the fact that they don't believe that the police will do anything about it.

Weren't there a lot of hate crimes around the time that blacks got their rights in the 1960's (US viewpoint here)? I think the increased media coverage, plus the increasing rights, are causing people who would otherwise just sit and be a**holes to actually go out and do a**hole things.