SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE

Nathan

Hello, I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I am currently in Phuket, Thailand training at a Muay Thai camp until December. I am after soy protein powder, because all that seems to be available here is Whey.

Can some one point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Nathan

• 2 years later...

Be careful with the soy protein, it's been shown to have negative side effects towards both men in women in hormone levels. Dr. Jim Stoppani, a Nutritionist with a degree in Exercise Science, suggests not to consume more than 25g a day of soy protein WHEN consumed with whey and casein. So, if you start feeling anything different, such as an abnormally sore chest or anything, reduce or stop consuming soy protein

Be careful with the soy protein, it's been shown to have negative side effects towards both men in women in hormone levels. Dr. Jim Stoppani, a Nutritionist with a degree in Exercise Science, suggests not to consume more than 25g a day of soy protein WHEN consumed with whey and casein. So, if you start feeling anything different, such as an abnormally sore chest or anything, reduce or stop consuming soy protein

Based on what research does he make these claims? I'm currently several years into a dietetics degree, and I also finished an exercise science program, and I can only find two pieces of peer reviewed documented research that speak negatively of the use of soy (actual research, not some "Dr" that claims it's bad because he said so). one was a study conducted at Ohio State where twenty men had their testosterone levels measured for a period of time while consuming soy protein. 19 men saw no difference. 1 man in the study had his test levels drop from 200% above the normal range down into the normal range and when the study was published it said something to the effect of "Soy lowers mens testosterone levels." Unless you were a med student of some kind and had access to viewing the entire study though you would have never had all the details that I just described above.

The other study I mentioned looked at a 15 year old boy that lost his sex drive and had other complications that I don't remember. But during the study he consumed like 12-15 servings of soy per day for a really long period of time and nothing else was described about his diet other than that. From a researchers stand point that would be thrown out because it didn't offer enough information to be of use and my guess would be that he wasn't consuming enough total calories for his age on such a rigid diet program.

There have also been many field and clinical studies that showed soy to be a fine food. If you are a college student you probably have access to libsearch or something where you can search "peer reviewed" documents on soy and read the research for yourself.

Edited by Justin Morgan