Consuming Enough Protein on a Raw Food Diet

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Message
Author
yepes
Rabbit
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:06 pm

Re: Consuming Enough Protein on a Raw Food Diet

#16 Postby yepes » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:18 pm

sydneyvegan wrote:Ants

:shock: :shock:

HIT Rob
Gorilla
Posts: 818
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 5:03 pm

Re: Consuming Enough Protein on a Raw Food Diet

#17 Postby HIT Rob » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:04 pm

yepes wrote:
HIT Rob wrote:as when food is cooked, the body uses a considerable less amount of energy digesting it

blatantly false.


First off cup cake, my advise wasn't to you, secondly that advise was given to me by a Special forces survival expert, and thirdly, if you watch the research in the documentary i posted you'll see its blatantly true!
Last edited by HIT Rob on Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

HIT Rob
Gorilla
Posts: 818
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 5:03 pm

Re: Consuming Enough Protein on a Raw Food Diet

#18 Postby HIT Rob » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:28 pm

Kon wrote:As far as the issue of not cooking food goes, I recently have stopped cooking my food unless I absolutely need to. The only thing I cook now is quinoa. I haven't noticed any weight loss but all my life I've generally been on the light side compared to your average person. Lately I've turned to eating all my food towards the morning from 9 or 10am and finishing around 4 or 5pm, or sooner. I don't like the idea of being full when I go to sleep because your sleep is designed to detox and fast.


Hi Kon,

Sound goods,

On reading Ori Hofmekler's warrior diet book, he explains that are nervous system is set-up for eating the bulk of are calories at night (contrary to popular belief), he explain's (and backs it up with considerable research), that we evolved as nocturnal feeders, we hunted and gathered through the day, and feed at night, this is still true with most of the true hunter gatherer societies that still exist today. Ori explains, When your fasting, you body operates on its sympathetic nervous system, a fight or flight reaction to stress, which promotes alertness, and resistance to fatigue, however, when we feed the body switches to the para-sympathetic nervous system, which makes you feel relaxed and sleepy.
That said Kon, your doing still doing a good thing, ie your given your body sufficient time to detox.
Last edited by HIT Rob on Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JubNZ
Manatee
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:08 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Consuming Enough Protein on a Raw Food Diet

#19 Postby JubNZ » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:48 am

Nice discussion Rob and Redsox.

Ive never looked into the nutrition specifics to a deep deep level, but I shall give the documentary a look that Rob posted :)
Just do it.

HIT Rob
Gorilla
Posts: 818
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 5:03 pm

Re: Consuming Enough Protein on a Raw Food Diet

#20 Postby HIT Rob » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:29 am

Thanks Jub,

Redsox is a good thinker at a young age, logic and reason is a the forefront of his thinking. Unlike another individual on this thread that blabs out one or two words like Tarzan to make their point.

Its a good documentary Jub, its very interesting.

blabbate
Gorilla
Posts: 807
Age: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:58 am

Re: Consuming Enough Protein on a Raw Food Diet

#21 Postby blabbate » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:38 am

yepes wrote:
HIT Rob wrote:as when food is cooked, the body uses a considerable less amount of energy digesting it

blatantly false.

Not so fast. It's pretty much agreed that the TEF of raw food is higher than that of cooked. The cooking process does a bit of the digestion for you, breaking down complex carbs and proteins. The question is one of magnitude, which varies depending on the food and the type of cooking.

Raw foodies can make some nutty claims, but this one is pretty solid.
--
Bruce

HIT Rob
Gorilla
Posts: 818
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 5:03 pm

Re: Consuming Enough Protein on a Raw Food Diet

#22 Postby HIT Rob » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:01 pm

Sorry blabate, but who is this addressed to?

blabbate
Gorilla
Posts: 807
Age: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:58 am

Re: Consuming Enough Protein on a Raw Food Diet

#23 Postby blabbate » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:06 pm

HIT Rob wrote:Sorry blabate, but who is this addressed to?

Context should be clear from the quoted text.
--
Bruce

HIT Rob
Gorilla
Posts: 818
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 5:03 pm

Re: Consuming Enough Protein on a Raw Food Diet

#24 Postby HIT Rob » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:11 pm

blabbate wrote:
HIT Rob wrote:Sorry blabate, but who is this addressed to?

Context should be clear from the quoted text.



Ah yes, you most forgive me, am not the fastest car on the track.

blabbate
Gorilla
Posts: 807
Age: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:58 am

Re: Consuming Enough Protein on a Raw Food Diet

#25 Postby blabbate » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:15 pm

HIT Rob wrote:
blabbate wrote:
HIT Rob wrote:Sorry blabate, but who is this addressed to?

Context should be clear from the quoted text.



Ah yes, you most forgive me, am not the fastest car on the track.

No problem. For what it's worth, I think I was agreeing with you.
--
Bruce

User avatar
Scott Shetler
Manatee
Posts: 222
Age: 41
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:30 am
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Re: Consuming Enough Protein on a Raw Food Diet

#26 Postby Scott Shetler » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:37 pm

HIT Rob wrote:LOL, i used to consume 300 grams a day too, i haven't used supplements in over 12 years, but back in the mid 90s one of my main protein sources was this thick lumpy goop called mega mass 4000, and cybergenics 3000, they were in vogue at the time.


Wow - you're dating yourself man! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one on here who bought, used, and even knows about Cybergenics 3000! Did you every try their Phase-1 6 week kit or their total bodybuilding kit?!?! I never got jacked, but I had awesome bright yellow-green pee for a while! Haha!

-Scott
-Scott

“Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.” -Buddha
http://www.extreme-fitness.org
http://www.scottshetler.com
http://www.plantbasedperformance.org

User avatar
Scott Shetler
Manatee
Posts: 222
Age: 41
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:30 am
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Re: Consuming Enough Protein on a Raw Food Diet

#27 Postby Scott Shetler » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:47 pm

redsoxjss wrote:I am not yet a raw foodist but I am leaning heavily towards becoming one. I am an athlete when it comes to running, playing five sports competitively (basketball, baseball, soccer, golf and ultimate frisbee) as well as a weightlifter I am very into calisthenics. I like to train with weights three or four times a week for about an hour each session and do high intensity cardio a couple times a week and steady paced cardio (like running or swimming long distances) two or three times a week.

Eating the right amount of calories to support my body weight was relatively easy but if I become a raw foodist, I am concerned I will lose muscle mass. I am currently 6'0 and weigh 185 pounds (17 years old), I've put on around 15 pounds of lean muscle since I began working out a year and a half ago.

If I went on a raw food diet I would really be getting my protein from nuts and seeds as fruits and vegetables don't provide as much but you can only eat so much. They cost a lot and have twice as much fat (which is good fuel) as they do protein but I still can't imagine myself getting more than 35-50g of protein a day. Could I supplement with pea, rice or hemp protein? I don't know if those powders are actually considered raw anymore. Also do those have toxic chemicals in them? I want to detoxify my body as well. If anyone has any advice for me, the newbie, it would be greatly appreciated.


redsoxjss,

I share your interest in the raw food approach. Actually right now I consume what many refer to as a "high raw" approach to nutrition. It's roughly 75% raw vegan, 20% cooked vegan, and 5% "free" foods which I do my best to keep plant-based as well. Eating out is the biggest issue for me, although I live in Atlanta and we have a few great vegan restaurants and even a couple that cater to raw vegan dishes. Also, a couple times a year I will go on 100% raw spurts and never have any issues. My energy is always good and I certainly haven't atrophied. There is a gentleman named Danny Dalton who is featured in a documentary on raw vegan bodybuilders - in fact there is a 10:00 clip available on YouTube if you search "Danny Dalton raw vegan muscle". He is in his 50's, and is very lean and muscular. I began following him on Facebook and purchased his e-book, essentially he eats 1 sometimes 2 meals a day, totally raw, 1/3 greens, 1/3 other vegetables and fruit, and 1/3 nuts and seeds. He claims initially when you eat totally raw the body detoxifies and you lose a lot of weight and with it some muscle, but he said he was able to rebuild muscle and stay lean following a raw approach. There are some others profiled on the documentary as well and is worth looking into if you are interested in the totally raw approach. It can certainly be done if that's the route you want to go, just look to those who currently do it for guidance. Good luck to you!

Scott
-Scott

“Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.” -Buddha
http://www.extreme-fitness.org
http://www.scottshetler.com
http://www.plantbasedperformance.org

yepes
Rabbit
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:06 pm

Re: Consuming Enough Protein on a Raw Food Diet

#28 Postby yepes » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:51 pm

Scott Shetler wrote:
redsoxjss wrote:I am not yet a raw foodist but I am leaning heavily towards becoming one. I am an athlete when it comes to running, playing five sports competitively (basketball, baseball, soccer, golf and ultimate frisbee) as well as a weightlifter I am very into calisthenics. I like to train with weights three or four times a week for about an hour each session and do high intensity cardio a couple times a week and steady paced cardio (like running or swimming long distances) two or three times a week.

Eating the right amount of calories to support my body weight was relatively easy but if I become a raw foodist, I am concerned I will lose muscle mass. I am currently 6'0 and weigh 185 pounds (17 years old), I've put on around 15 pounds of lean muscle since I began working out a year and a half ago.

If I went on a raw food diet I would really be getting my protein from nuts and seeds as fruits and vegetables don't provide as much but you can only eat so much. They cost a lot and have twice as much fat (which is good fuel) as they do protein but I still can't imagine myself getting more than 35-50g of protein a day. Could I supplement with pea, rice or hemp protein? I don't know if those powders are actually considered raw anymore. Also do those have toxic chemicals in them? I want to detoxify my body as well. If anyone has any advice for me, the newbie, it would be greatly appreciated.


redsoxjss,

I share your interest in the raw food approach. Actually right now I consume what many refer to as a "high raw" approach to nutrition. It's roughly 75% raw vegan, 20% cooked vegan, and 5% "free" foods which I do my best to keep plant-based as well. Eating out is the biggest issue for me, although I live in Atlanta and we have a few great vegan restaurants and even a couple that cater to raw vegan dishes. Also, a couple times a year I will go on 100% raw spurts and never have any issues. My energy is always good and I certainly haven't atrophied. There is a gentleman named Danny Dalton who is featured in a documentary on raw vegan bodybuilders - in fact there is a 10:00 clip available on YouTube if you search "Danny Dalton raw vegan muscle". He is in his 50's, and is very lean and muscular. I began following him on Facebook and purchased his e-book, essentially he eats 1 sometimes 2 meals a day, totally raw, 1/3 greens, 1/3 other vegetables and fruit, and 1/3 nuts and seeds. He claims initially when you eat totally raw the body detoxifies and you lose a lot of weight and with it some muscle, but he said he was able to rebuild muscle and stay lean following a raw approach. There are some others profiled on the documentary as well and is worth looking into if you are interested in the totally raw approach. It can certainly be done if that's the route you want to go, just look to those who currently do it for guidance. Good luck to you!

Scott
I opened a thread about him viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35247

HIT Rob
Gorilla
Posts: 818
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 5:03 pm

Re: Consuming Enough Protein on a Raw Food Diet

#29 Postby HIT Rob » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:25 pm

Scott Shetler wrote:
HIT Rob wrote:LOL, i used to consume 300 grams a day too, i haven't used supplements in over 12 years, but back in the mid 90s one of my main protein sources was this thick lumpy goop called mega mass 4000, and cybergenics 3000, they were in vogue at the time.


Wow - you're dating yourself man! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one on here who bought, used, and even knows about Cybergenics 3000! Did you every try their Phase-1 6 week kit or their total bodybuilding kit?!?! I never got jacked, but I had awesome bright yellow-green pee for a while! Haha!

-Scott


Ah yes, now your taking me back, the toxic waste pee, the bloated stomach and lets not forget the constipation:)
Yes, i fell hook, line and sinker in for the Mega Mass 4000 kit, complete with BCA's and bodyfat calipers. Whats more, that crap wasn't cheap. I actually paid good money to feel like that, what was i thinking lol

yepes
Rabbit
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:06 pm

Re: Consuming Enough Protein on a Raw Food Diet

#30 Postby yepes » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:14 am

HIT Rob wrote:
yepes wrote:
HIT Rob wrote:as when food is cooked, the body uses a considerable less amount of energy digesting it

blatantly false.


First off cup cake, my advise wasn't to you, secondly that advise was given to me by a Special forces survival expert, and thirdly, if you watch the research in the documentary i posted you'll see its blatantly true!

user redsoxjss has already listed you researchers who proved otherwise, not to mention Dr. Edward Howell. I tend to trust these guys more than a 'survival expert' who has done no reasearch in this field.


Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests