Top Posters In This Topic

6-9-13 1hr 8 min

1 leg squats 173.5x4 163.5x7 153.5x10 > 178.5/Hold/Hold

Weighted pullups 85x4 65x7 52.5x10 25x10 > 87.5/67.5/55/27.5

Lunges 189 Skipped

Calf raises 198.5 x15x15 > X

Side raises 69.25 x9x8 > X

I am trashed.

I am starting to get over trained and haven't been sleeping well at night. I am going to Seattle Thursday the 11th for 10 days returning on Sunday the 21st and will be resuming my training that following Tuesday; and might not get to finish this circuit (Back day this Saturday) So I may begin my rest period after my chest day on the Thursday 11th before I leave and rest for a solid 11 days. I'm not going to make a big deal of it if I can't get access to the University of Washington's gym for 1 day. Rest is just as important as training.

Really need a rest though.

Thanks buddy. At those weights it's pretty damn excruciating; I usually end up crawling around on the floor after my 10s trying to find somewhere to sit.

7-10-13

Chores and getting things ready for Seattle today. I won't be able to lift tomorrow morning as I have to help dig a 4ft trench. The hotel I am staying at has a gym so I should be able to get a workout in tomorrow night though. Going for Vegan pizza with mom and friend too. Woo.

7-11-13 42 minutes

DB Chest Press 186x3 168.5x8 153.5x10

Dips 93x3 67.5x8 5.5x10 27.5x13 > Hold/70/55/Hold

DB Push Press 126H/113.5H/103.5 X Skipped

Chest Fly 64.25 x Skipped

I was supposed to help dig a 4ft trench because of a water leak so I truncated my routine, but they canceled last minute. The hotel I am staying at tonight has a little gym with free weights so I will do flyes and shoulder presses there tonight. The gym at the campus I am volunteering at in Seattle got back to me and it's nearly 9 bucks for a day use, for 1h it isn't worth it so I will try and find a playground to do some body weight stuff on or skip and rest.

7-11-13 Part II 30 minutes

Chest flyes 2x50 x10x10x10

DB Push Press 2x50 x10x10x10

DB kickbacks 20 x12x12

The gym here at the hotel is kinda small and doesn't have a terrific amount of of weights, max is 50s, but I was happy to toss around some iron and finish my workout. On Saturday I will do some chinups, body weight rows, and take a jog, then rest for a while.

Hot tub soon. :3

• 2 weeks later...

7-14-13

25 min run

3x10 chinups (slow)

3x8 body weight rows (slow)

7-19-13

45 min run

7-22-13

30 min run

10 min swimming pool stretches

I was supposed to get back into lifting today but I do not feel like my batteries are totally recharged. I busted my ass in Seattle with little sleep. So I will probably begin lifting again Thursday.

I also need this time to truncate my routine as I am re-gearing my efforts a bit more in the direction of running/walking for a big goal/project I have coming up in a month or two. I am thinking of about 30-45 min sessions vs 1hr to 1hr 15 minutes. What do you guys think?

7-26-13

5 miles long slow distance at 1hr 4 minutes. Stopped and walked it out 2 times for a combined total of 5 minutes when my heart rate got too high on hills and my lower limbs tightened up a bit. Was very difficult to keep my pace slow and not just floor it, but I managed OK. I'm reaching the capacity of my barefoot shoes and will end up with a minimalist shoe like the Kinvara soon.

I'm back in the game now that I feel my batteries are recharged. I got my contract terminated so I am now looking for a new place to live, but I will still keep the training up the best I can!

Good work man, you have a really nice combo of weights + running going on. Funny how we run at similar speeds as each other, shame we don't live closer... could have been training partners haha.

Haha, that would be sweet, you could cook too. =P

I don't see the point in getting big strong and then having a weak ticker and piss poor anaerobic performance. To me running is really meditative and I've set myself the personal goal to keep the iron and running balanced.

How's your weekend been buddy?

Hi Yeti,

The only way to get at the cardiac or vascular system, is by preforming mechanical work with muscle, and the greater quality / intensity of mechanical work performed with muscle, the greater the cardiovascular benefit. Moreover, high intensity exercise is more cardio protective than steady state activity, intense muscular contractions milk venus blood back to the heart, which protects the myocardium while you workout. You don't get that same venus blood return with steady state activity.

This being true, you'll actually find most strength athletes have stronger hearts and better anaerobic performance than most long distance runners, (if their smart trainees) they'll also have less wear and tear issues too.

Just thinking out loud here:)

Hi Yeti,

The only way to get at the cardiac or vascular system, is by preforming mechanical work with muscle, and the greater quality / intensity of mechanical work performed with muscle, the greater the cardiovascular benefit. Moreover, high intensity exercise is more cardio protective than steady state activity, intense muscular contractions milk venus blood back to the heart, which protects the myocardium while you workout. You don't get that same venus blood return with steady state activity.

This being true, you'll actually find most strength athletes have stronger hearts and better anaerobic performance than most long distance runners, (if their smart trainees) they'll also have less wear and tear issues too.

Just thinking out loud here:)

Interesting. I don't think it's good to ignore any aspect of the human machine, aerobic, anaerobic, and mental.

I'll have to look up some research but it makes sense that interval work and steady state cardio serve different purposes.

Totally agree chum,

Back in the early 80s when the fitness movement really took off, there was a focus put on what was called "total fitness", it was made up of several component's, Muscular strength, cardiovascular endurance, flexibility, and body composition, at that time, Arthur Jones was still the owner of Nautilus, and his then focus was more on research than selling Nautilus machines (he had made his fortune by then), he had assembled a team of experts in physiology in Florida to help him conduct his research.

One of the things that Jones set about to prove and did, is that you could improve all aspects of "total fitness" with a well designed strength training program.

A will formulated strength training program (like yours) will...

*Increase muscular strength and mass

*Improve bone density

*Improve cardiovascular function

*Makes us more injury resistant

*Improve joint mobility and flexibility

*Ramp up the metabolism

*Reduce blood pressure

*Relief lower back pain

*Help prevent loss of muscle as we get older

*Improve blood sugar metabolism

*Reduce stress levels

*Improve athletic performance

*help lower cholesterol

*Improve gastrointestinal transition time

*Reduce difficulty in preforming day-to-day tasks

When it comes to Aerobic or steady state activity, it'll do only some of those things, but mostly it will be counterproductive, as well as that, contrary to popular belief it isn't a good method for fat loss, one pound of fat can fuel the body for up to 10 hours of steady state activity, the most important contribution exercise makes to a fat loss program, is the maintenance of lean muscle tissue, strength training is the only reputable method of maintaining muscle mass.

Aerobic's of the other hand, can actually cause you to lose muscle. But, my main issue with steady state activity, is the damage / wear and tear element.

7-30-13 1hr

1 leg squat 178.5x4 163.5x7 153.5x10 > 183.5/Hold/Hold

Weighted pullups 88x3 67.5x6 55x9 27.5x12 > Hold

DB side raises 96.25 x10x10 > Hold

Calf raises 198.5 x12x12 > X

I am absolutely fucking obliterated and crawled into the kitchen and started shoveling food into my mouth hole. My strength must return or I may die. My brain doesn't seem to realize my muscles have atrophied.

My quads and lats are just destroyed.

I am keeping my sessions under 1hr now.

Please come back strength. ):

8-1-13 1hr 5 min

DB chest press 186x2 168.5x7 153.5x9 > Hold

Dips +93x3 70x6 55x9 27.5x13 > Hold

DB push press 113.5x6 103.5x10 > Hold

DB chest flyes 64.25 x 7x4 > Hold

I took yesterday to just rest and eat since I am still so damn weak. My legs were absolutely destroyed so a jog was out of the question. I will probably go for a jog tomorrow night in a fed state.

8-3-13 1hr

DB deadlifts warmups +198.5x8 > Aiming for 10 reps next time

Chinups 95.5x4.5 70x7 55x10 32.5x14 > 98/72.5/57.5/35

DB rows 133x6 120.5x10 > Hold (Use Straps/Grip issues)

DB shrugs 198.5 x10x10 > X

Bicep curls 2x53 x8x8 > Hold

My strength is finally returning. My deadlifts feel very strained because of a lower back injury that put me out of commission for a month of deadlifting so I am taking it easy. Still, no pain, and I feel great.

I took yesterday to rest. I will go for a jog tomorrow but I am keeping my mileage low till my strength totally bounces back.

Good attitude CY. Head up and chest out mate!

Glad to hear your back is coming right as well.

Thanks buddy. (: It was sore as hell as it had not been trained in 1+month but I am feeling really good about it.

Only slept about 8hrs last night cause I gotta go with mom to a doctors appointment but I can make it up tonight. I try and shoot for 9 tbh.

How's life?