Hello... Again!

esqinchi

Hello all... After about a year of not participating, I've decided to return - I don't think I was ready the first time around.

Anyhow, last I checked in, I had just reached 186lbs, down from 248... Well, I have now reached down to 165lbs, for a total weight loss of 83lbs, and a total fat % loss from 38% to 18%.

All in all, I'm pretty stoked, but I have bought at least three wardrobes in the meantime!

My real name is Chris, just fyi, someone asked that last time. I am 165lb, 5'7", 33 years old.

I've changed my diet considerably, although it is still pretty boring. I've also been working with a trainer for the past year, which has brought a great variety of exercises into my life - seriously probably the best part about having a trainer.

So, my current training schedule is 4x per week. I do a combination of heavy weights, and functional training (HIIT, plyo, cross-fit type stuff - real pullups though) which usually consists of the following structure:

Day 1: Upper body, mixed core.

Day 2: Lower body, mixed core.

Day 3: Core, cardio/plyo.

Day 4: Total body, heavy weights, mixed core

My diet, like I said, is pretty bland - but so far has worked for me in dropping pounds. Plain and simple, a six meal split:

Meal 1: 3.5oz apple, 1 cup oatmeal, cinnamon - 352.5 cals

Meal 2: Approx 7oz apple - 100 cals (+- 5)

Meal 3: 6oz grilled tofu, 6oz steamed broccoli - 320 cals

Meal 4: Two slices Ezekiel bread, 0.7oz peanut butter - 276.9 cals

Meal 5: 6oz grilled tofu, 6oz steamed broccoli - 320 cals

Pre-Workout Snack: Fruit - 50-75 cals

Meal 6: Mixed fruit (watermelon, cherries, peaches, etc.) - 170cals

Macros consist of approximately the following:

Cals - Approx 1600 - 1700 per day (Calculators say my maintenance is ~ 2700; I'm still cutting!)

Protein - Approx 100g

Carbs - Approx 220g

Fat - Approx 50g

Thoughts?

Hey Chris, welcome back! Great work changing your life and dropping the lbs! Your success is inspiring and congratulaitons are in order!

Thanks for posting the sample diet, I'm going to use it as a guideling for myself...although the grilled tofu may have to be replaced for matters of convenience

Dave

Thanks! No problem if you don't have any suggestions. My main concern was calories, and protein intake. My current goal is to cut my fat % down to around 10%. It's a painfully slow process, and sometimes I lack patience in general.

Any tips on shaving off that last 8% of fat would be greatly appreciated.

I'm starting to follow the McDougall plan.. it's a starch based diet: Whole foods only, nothing processed, no added sugars or oil. imo it seems like a pretty common sense approach to food so I'm giving it a shot - I'm 2 weeks in.

There are a bunch of vegan athletes (different forum) who are ecstatic about the results they are seeing with it. I'm really liking it so far. I don't ever feel hungry. I'm still including a bit of nuts and nut butter, but I suppose if I got serious about weight loss, I would just cut them out for awhile. I don't even own a scale.. so probably I'm not serious about weight loss.

The McDougall plan may not have as much protein as many people want.. but at this point in time, I'm in the camp that protein is highly over rated in our culture. It is a very low fat plan (the fat you eat is the fat you wear motto). I mention it as a suggestion only for something to look into to see if it might work for you.

Cool, thanks for the tip. I'll check it out this weekend. I met with my trainer today, and did an assessment (VO2, BF%, weight, measurements). To my surprise, and a bit disappointing, I had dropped three inches pretty much across my body (neck, waist, hips, biceps, calves, thighs). Ok, so I was only disappointed in dropping inches on my biceps, calves, and thighs.

I have obviously been consuming too few calories, which would explain the likely muscle loss. I'm going to start training for more muscle growth, in an effort to build back some strength, and burn out the remaining fat. Honestly, I need to eat more anyhow, as I have had a harder time getting through my workouts than in the past; when I was eating more.

I was told by my physician that an overly carb-heavy diet will spike your triglycerides, just something to consider/monitor as you try new things. It's always a good idea to have regular bloodwork done anyway

When you're dropping weight, you're going to lose it all across your body as you saw from your trainer! Targeted weight loss is kinda one of those myths that people use to sell ab-rollers, or bowflex's (10 minutes/day, 5 days a week for these six-pack abs!)

While consuming the proper amount of calories is definitely a focal point, if you're trying to gain mass you need to be sure you're keying in on your protein intake. I'd suggest adding a scoop of Vega to your morning oatmeal, as well as a protein drink/shake/smoothie post work out to feed those starving muscles!

Keep us posted with those results! Best of luck

While consuming the proper amount of calories is definitely a focal point, if you're trying to gain mass you need to be sure you're keying in on your protein intake. I'd suggest adding a scoop of Vega to your morning oatmeal, as well as a protein drink/shake/smoothie post work out to feed those starving muscles!

Keep us posted with those results! Best of luck

Thanks for the tip. I have actually tried revamping my diet, which I will implement the start of next week - too busy/lazy to go to the store before Sunday... I was thinking the following might be better than where I am now (yes, I posted this in another section of the forum, but have yet to receive a reply):

Six meals, split over the day, to include:

M1 – 4 oz seitan, 5 oz lentils: 365 cals, 3.5g fat, 42.5g carb, 43g protein

M2 – 8oz tofu: 346 cals, 18.6g fat, 8g carb, 37g protein

M3 – 6oz tempeh: 396 cals, 19.8g fat, 27.6g carb, 36g protein

M4 – 2 slices Ezekiel, 0.7oz Peanut Butter: 276.9 cals, 11.01g fat, 33.85g carb, 12.97g protein

M5 – 6oz tofu, 6oz broccoli: 320 cals, 14.6g fat, 17.4g carb, 33g protein

M6 – 12oz watermelon: 108 cals, 1.2g fat, 25.2g carb, 2.4g protein

Total Cals: 1,812

Total Fat: 68g

Total Carb: 155g

Total Protein: 164g

Thoughts? Too few calories? Too much fat?

Hi Chris, welcome back. Congrats on the weight loss and all the progress!

-Dylan

Thanks, man. I'm happy to get more involved. Best thing happened the other day when I was buying beer for my cheat meal - the cashier looked at my ID (with an old photo) forever, then asked me for my birthday, and address. She thought I was using my older brother's ID - the pic in that one was two years old!

• 2 weeks later...