Body type? Build Muscle.

Post your before and after photos here. Share success stories and show your progress. This is also the section to post up your videos.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Message
Author
Grant_X_Davis
Rabbit
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:29 pm

Body type? Build Muscle.

#1 Postby Grant_X_Davis » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:50 pm

Hi all, I originally posted in a different section
(Found at) viewtopic.php?f=46&t=35463
Just wanted everyone's opinions.
What body type do you think I am?
I have always been of the opinion ectomorph
6foot4 (191cm)
Roughly 165lb (75kg)
Tall, skinny, but carry all my BF in my mid section.
I have always been of the opinion that I cannot build muscle, whether its due to my body type or my excess cycling. I have been lifting for 2 weeks straight with no cardio (due to a running injury). I'd like to keep up the experiment just to see what is possible.
Chest/tri
Back/bi
Shoulders/legs
Repeat
3 sets of 9x4 exercises per muscle. Lifting heavy enough to fatigue. I am really weak though.
I want to gain muscle, drop body fat.
I'm currently eating from Brendan Braziers Thrive forward-"one day muscle building program" from his new thrive forward online directory.
Attachments
IMG_5269.PNG
IMG_5269.PNG (218.25 KiB) Viewed 8776 times
IMG_5268.PNG
IMG_5268.PNG (221.75 KiB) Viewed 8776 times

User avatar
AndiMorris
Manatee
Posts: 376
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:39 am
Location: South Wales, UK

Re: Body type? Build Muscle.

#2 Postby AndiMorris » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:39 am

Try a strength building program, something like stronglifts or starting strength. They'll help you through the initial strength gains.

User avatar
Eksster
Rabbit
Posts: 88
Age: 31
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:23 am
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: Body type? Build Muscle.

#3 Postby Eksster » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:59 pm

Hey!
I dig the thrive gig.
It's quite the thought about body types. It can be hard to get going and find that point where you're stoked on results, but I'm a believer in that all body types build muscle. I agree it is definitely easier for some than others. Your body looks like it's hungry for bulking a bit.

Have you still been hitting the gym for lifting since you put this up? I think if you go to the gym and lift seriously, it's not long before you'll be on a muscle gaining trend. My main advise is to learn to love the actual slow motion of lifting any weight. Like with dumbbell chest fly's for example, when you have your arms spread out ready to contract, try doing it slow and trying to feel just your pecs shredding up and each of the muscle cells bursting up.

Grant_X_Davis
Rabbit
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: Body type? Build Muscle.

#4 Postby Grant_X_Davis » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:16 am

Eksster wrote:Hey!
Your body looks like it's hungry for bulking a bit.

Have you still been hitting the gym for lifting since you put this up? I think if you go to the gym and lift seriously, it's not long before you'll be on a muscle gaining trend. My main advise is to learn to love the actual slow motion of lifting any weight. Like with dumbbell chest fly's for example, when you have your arms spread out ready to contract, try doing it slow and trying to feel just your pecs shredding up and each of the muscle cells bursting up.


Yep have been lifting. I was on the thrive plan for 5 weeks and put on 4kg- but I think it was a fair bit of fat, my body really doesn't like high amounts of nuts.
I then went to America for 2 weeks and eating junk (whilst still lifting) I put another 4kg on, mostly fat and water.
As soon as I up my food or eat something unhealthy my body just holds on to it all, stores if as water/fat. Is that normal?
I want to build muscle and not get fat, but I guess so does everyone.

First photo in frame is after UsA at 84kg, second is yesterday back at 79.5
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (193.04 KiB) Viewed 8230 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (217.57 KiB) Viewed 8230 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (215.69 KiB) Viewed 8230 times

Grant_X_Davis
Rabbit
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: Body type? Build Muscle.

#5 Postby Grant_X_Davis » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:13 pm

Not sure how accurate it is cause its the first time trying to measure it. Does it seam correct?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (115.11 KiB) Viewed 8149 times

Grant_X_Davis
Rabbit
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: Body type? Build Muscle.

#6 Postby Grant_X_Davis » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:26 pm

Just roughly did my macros:
yesterday for e.g.

3126 cals total:
551 grams carbs
43 grams fat
173 grams protein

67% Carbs, 21% protein, 12% fat

I am limiting nuts/fats at the moment to avoid unwanted body fat-my body just starts packing on fat when i am eating nuts (maybe this is what i want though?)

Today was a non lifting cycling day

This came in the form of:
630am green smoothie with protein
9am Oatmeal with banana and sultanas
1pm big ass salad with a cup of lentils
4-6pm banana and vega bar during a cycle+bcaa's
6pm Protein shake with banana and dates-post ride
7pm vege stirfry with tempeh and rice
9pm protein shake before bed

BUT, i did cycle yesterday which burnt 1500cals
the above is pretty much my usual day, with only an extra few calories added when i ride (i.e. 1 vega bar/banana per hour whilst cycling)

i never felt hungry during the day. I find if i eat more that this (which i can) it just all goes and sits on my stomach. The big ass salad is really large in size so would probably take up a lot of room in my stomach

i obviously need to take in more cals if i want to put on some muscle. But the amount of food i would need to eat would be huge in physical size. I eat pretty dam clean i think, but maybe i need to put some higher calorie smaller sized foods in there. clif bars or something etc ?
what are your thoughts?

i am considering changing my current lifting regime (abs 3x a week, Monday- Back+Bi, Wed-Shoulders+Legs, Fri-Chest+tri and cycling every other day) to a more strength building focused regime. Dead lifts, squats, shoulder press, bench press and Dips or chin ups 3x a week. Might try a "bulking" type food program with this new method of lifting. See how it goes.
Thoughts/advice?

User avatar
precision female
Rabbit
Posts: 175
Age: 36
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:43 am
Location: Nelson, BC

Re: Body type? Build Muscle.

#7 Postby precision female » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:33 am

Hey,

your ectomorph. I am too. Hard to gain muscle. 3000 cal is not enough for you...it could be more like 4000+...more if you are doing cardio. (I am much smaller and I eat over 3000 cal when gaining and that's with no cardio.) Realistically...to get enough calories there is probably a sacrifice in the "clean" diet and more calorie dense foods. Bodybuilders in building mode eat a lot of crap. Whatever it takes to get enough calories. And for me certainly always pushing the limit of what was a comfortable amount to eat.
When gaining muscle mass cardio is your ENEMY and if you are doing a lot of biking it sabotages your body's ability to gain muscle size. New muscle you build will be burned as fuel in cardio sessions. Gaining muscle and losing fat are opposite goals with opposite approaches as far as cardio and calories. If you pursue both your results will be minimal since they sabotage each other. When I started competitive bodybuilding it was zero cardio for 8 months so that I could gain 25lbs. Then cardio for just the 16 weeks before a contest to burn off the fat (since some fat is also gained with muscle) Pursue one goal and then the other to get best results of both.
Your muscle building program looks fine. But the cardio compromises the effort your putting into weights. If biking is a big part of your life - sounds like it is - then it will be hard to gain much muscle size from weight training. But you could become more defined.

I'm a diet and fitness consultant and 2 of my clients are in the same boat as you. High cardio lifestyles compromising their efforts to gain muscle mass.
Failure: unacceptable.
Find me on facebook: Deborah Nasmyth

Grant_X_Davis
Rabbit
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: Body type? Build Muscle.

#8 Postby Grant_X_Davis » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:08 am

precision female wrote:Hey,

your ectomorph. I am too. Hard to gain muscle. 3000 cal is not enough for you...it could be more like 4000+...more if you are doing cardio. (I am much smaller and I eat over 3000 cal when gaining and that's with no cardio.) Realistically...to get enough calories there is probably a sacrifice in the "clean" diet and more calorie dense foods. Bodybuilders in building mode eat a lot of crap. Whatever it takes to get enough calories. And for me certainly always pushing the limit of what was a comfortable amount to eat.
When gaining muscle mass cardio is your ENEMY and if you are doing a lot of biking it sabotages your body's ability to gain muscle size. New muscle you build will be burned as fuel in cardio sessions. Gaining muscle and losing fat are opposite goals with opposite approaches as far as cardio and calories. If you pursue both your results will be minimal since they sabotage each other. When I started competitive bodybuilding it was zero cardio for 8 months so that I could gain 25lbs. Then cardio for just the 16 weeks before a contest to burn off the fat (since some fat is also gained with muscle) Pursue one goal and then the other to get best results of both.
Your muscle building program looks fine. But the cardio compromises the effort your putting into weights. If biking is a big part of your life - sounds like it is - then it will be hard to gain much muscle size from weight training. But you could become more defined.

I'm a diet and fitness consultant and 2 of my clients are in the same boat as you. High cardio lifestyles compromising their efforts to gain muscle mass.



Thanks for the reply. Everything sounds to be a pretty accurate decision. One hard thing I am coming to terms with is that if I eat anything out of the ordinary, or anything in a great amount my body just holds on to it in the stomach. I see ripped as hell people seemingly eating as they olease where I have to watch pretty much everything I eat. Its a delicate balance. And by no means do I have a desirable body shape at the moment-in fact I never have.
how are you supposed to "bulk" when by eating certain foods I can add up to 5kg on my body weight in a day.
I by no means want to get huge, just have a more lean and bigger physique.

Grant_X_Davis
Rabbit
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: Body type? Build Muscle.

#9 Postby Grant_X_Davis » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:10 am

If I eat more than the 3300cals i am atm., it just goes straight to my belly.
surely I am not the only one this happens to?
Or is that just my fat belly?

User avatar
AndiMorris
Manatee
Posts: 376
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:39 am
Location: South Wales, UK

Re: Body type? Build Muscle.

#10 Postby AndiMorris » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:34 am

Nope, I'm the same. Every time I try a bulk it just goes on as fat.

Grant_X_Davis
Rabbit
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: Body type? Build Muscle.

#11 Postby Grant_X_Davis » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:46 am

AndiMorris wrote:Nope, I'm the same. Every time I try a bulk it just goes on as fat.


So how do you do it?
Just eat responsibly, lift weight and let nature take its course?

User avatar
AndiMorris
Manatee
Posts: 376
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:39 am
Location: South Wales, UK

Re: Body type? Build Muscle.

#12 Postby AndiMorris » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:01 am

Well this is the first time I've ever tried to bulk on a clean vegan diet, so time will tell whether it makes any difference. Fingers crossed though.

Grant_X_Davis
Rabbit
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: Body type? Build Muscle.

#13 Postby Grant_X_Davis » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:43 pm

I find I lift/ride better when eating junk food as opposed to clean food. But my body feels better eating clean

Grant_X_Davis
Rabbit
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: Body type? Build Muscle.

#14 Postby Grant_X_Davis » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:36 am

An update.
Not sure how much the better light/picture quality has to do with but I think there are some improvements. Top pic is 7 weeks ago. Bottom pic was taken at the end of a 3 week "strength" based training regime. Unfortunately I have tweaked something tricep related (I think doing dips) so I will be returning to a split program. Give that a week or so then im going to see what happens if I cut my cals back a bit, see if I can lose a bit of belly. If that's successful ill return to my current eating knowing that I have the ability to get lean again.
Attachments
PicsPlay_1377422880901.jpg
PicsPlay_1377422880901.jpg (97.25 KiB) Viewed 7739 times

yellow_snocone
Finch
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:56 pm

Re: Body type? Build Muscle.

#15 Postby yellow_snocone » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:09 pm

Hey man,

Just want to see how things have gone for you in the last two years. Do you get where you wanted to be?


Return to “Before/After Photos & Progress Photos & Videos”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests