Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Asparagus Strength Journey
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:24 pm 
Gorilla

5/3/1 Cycle 3 Week 1

Deadlift
5@175# hook
5@215 hook
5@255 hook
5@300 hook
5@345 switch, chalk
9@390 switch, chalk, touch-n-go, holy shit PB

Pullups, pyramid with incremental rest
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 5, 4

Squat
5@45#
5x10@145#

I'm not quite sure what happened today. Went in feeling normal, then hit the deadlift like a boss and smashed it. Even though it was touch-n-go, I felt great while pulling it! I was hoping for 7 good reps, then at the top of the 7th I thought to myself "I've got another!" and went for #8. Then at the top of the 8th I thought to myself "Hell yeah I've got another!" and went for #9. Barely closed out the 9th, but I got it. Man that wore me out! The squats were the icing on the "holy shit I'm spent" cake so I stretched and left. I love it when I feel like this after a session!

That's 200 solid ass-pounds! Good work buddy.
vegan_rossco, the ghost hunter wrote:
I can see how some people might mistake this as paranormal when really its just an example of your brain being an asshole

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:01 pm 
Gorilla

5/3/1 Cycle 3 Week 1

Bench
5@65#
5@105
5@135
5@160
5@185
4@210 fail - just couldn't lock out #5

DB Row
2x10@90#, 1x20@90#

Pullups, rotating grips through normal, wide, close supinated
9x3

Not sure what happened today. I should have had an easy 5 reps on the 210# bench and probably at least 6. It could be because I waited too long after eating. It could be because I switched from a thumbless grip to a thumbs-around grip. It could be because I'm worn after deadlifts on Tuesday. It could also be that I'm just worn out from moving lots of heavy furniture this week and this is going to be a hit-or-miss week on my lifts. So far two misses, one hit. After my poor bench performance I decided against the normal 5 sets of rows and went for 3-rep sets instead of 4-rep sets on the pullups.

I'm not going to change my programming unless I perform poorly again next week.

I can see how some people might mistake this as paranormal when really its just an example of your brain being an asshole

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:35 pm 
Gorilla

5/3/1 Cycle 3 Week 1

Squat school
?@45#
5@115
5@155
5@195
5@240
5@275
3@315

5x10@145
Superset with
Pullups, normal/wide/close supinated grips, 120 seconds rest
6x5

Today was the first time going heavy with the new squat form, not too shabby considering the switch up. I was only aiming for 1 rep at 315#, but was feeling good so I hit 2 more. I'm also going to drop my squat target weight by 30# to help with the transition into proper powerlifting squats. Still trying to remember all my cues. There's a lot I've changed and a lot I'm trying to focus on at the same time. Going to stick with the 2xweekly volume squatting until I get used to it, then switch to 1xweek volume squats.

Now to go sit in traffic and sweat for an hour and a half. Hurray! :(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:16 am 
Batman

Are you finding it more difficult to squat using powerlifting form? I looked it up and I don't like how far back on your shoulders the bar sits, it doesn't feel safe :l

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
There's only one thing I'm riding at 6am, and it's not a bike!

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29098
http://www.facebook.com/ross.d.cosgrove

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:30 am 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

Low bar squats are safe if you adjust your form to counter the change in bar placement. They're not for everyone, but I noticed I could lift slightly heavier using a low bar positioning over the high bar I normally use.

Just my 2c of course MF.

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:07 pm 
Gorilla

The difficulty I'm finding is in switching my habits. Ever since I started squatting a little over 2 years ago I've been apparently doing it with a weird hybrid form. I was trying to do a powerlifting style squat with too narrow a stance and two high a back angle. Those are the main two things that I am changing, but there are a lot of other little things I'm noticing as well.

I'm definitely getting used to the wider stance. Part of that is getting used to using muscles that were previously not fully engaged while squatting with the narrow stance and more upright torso. I'm happy with how my squatting went last Friday, and my legs were sore all weekend - especially the inner and outer thighs. I remember having sore legs at the beginning, but usually they aren't.

The bar doesn't really sit that far down on my back. I still keep the bar in roughly the same place, I'm just bending forward a bit more a the hips.

5/3/1 Cycle 3 Week 2

OHP
?@45#
5@75
5@95
3@125
3@140
x@160 fail
2@160 push press, 2@160 push press

Pullups, max effort, 90 seconds rest
10, 7, 7, 6, 6

Behind the neck press, 60 seconds rest
10@60#, 10@70#, 9@80# +1 push press

I was not expecting to fail so miserably today. I'm not sure if this is because I fasted last night through today. I decided on trying out IF to see if I could drop a few unwanted lbs, and started fasting this weekend. I fasted 15 hours Saturday into Sunday, and 13 hours yesterday into today. I ended my fast at 10:00, ate again at 11:30, then went to the gym at 12:45. I wasn't lifting on an empty stomach. I might have to lift later in the day to get a little more food through my system before the gym, but I'll try it this way for the week and see how it treats me.
[EDIT: It may also have to do with the fact that for this workout I had the bar set in the power rack, as opposed to power-cleaning it for each set. Maybe I wasn't holding my core as tight and my posture was off?]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:17 pm 
Gorilla

5/3/1 Cycle 3 Week 2

Deadlift
5@135# hook
5@205 hook
5@265 hook
3@320 hook
3@365 switch, chalk
5@410 switch, chalk

Pullups, pyramid
1-6, 4, 3

Squat
10@45#, 10@95#, 3x10@135#

Lifted a little later in the day today than yesterday, hopefully to give my glycogen stores a bit of time to replenish before the workout. Ate meal #1 at 10:00, meal #2 at 12:30, fruit at 14:30, gym at 14:45. I'm not sure if this had any effect on my lifts. I should have hit 6 reps at 410#, but didn't have the strength for it. I felt my lower back starting to strain on rep 5, so I finished it out at that. My lower back isn't so happy right now - probably should have dropped the bar as soon as I felt the strain but I was pissed about not feeling strong. So far this week isn't going so well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:12 pm 
Gorilla

After I screwed my back deadlifting a couple weeks ago, I took the following week off entirely from the gym to give myself time to recover. I also needed to concentrate on work as I am in the busy lead-up to the start of the semester.

I've been following a 8/16 IF protocol for the past few weeks and I feel I've adapted well to it. I hate eating, so cramming all my food into a smaller window appeals to me. The challenge is eating as many calories as I need. I've cut down on my vegetables slightly from 5 cups chopped to 4 cups chopped daily, which has helped in not feeling as full all the time. I should be getting around 4000 on my workout days, but I'm probably topping out around 3500. This might be why my lifts were stalling. I have also been eating very poorly on the weekends, barely scraping 2000 per day. I don't get hungry on the weekends, but I know that's not enough calories. So far I've lost about 4-5 lbs, judging by my weight at workout time.

I've decided to deload all my lifts by 10-15%, and have starting the Boring But Big template for 5/3/1. The lower max weights will allow me to build back up and work on my form, and hopefully put back some of the muscle that I've lost in the past month.

Yesterday - OHP, 5x135#
Today - Deadlift, 8x350#

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:09 pm 
Manatee

hope you heal up quick and can keep on lifting hard! looks like you're doing really well...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:49 pm 
Gorilla

Thanks, as far as I can tell I'm back on the horse at this point, so to speak.

Still doing 5/3/1, boring but big. I'm not logging each individual workout since the weights are a little lower and I'm building back up. So far the emphasis on stressing proper form is working out. I feel more comfortable in my lifts and am noticing more often when I'm not doing something correctly.

Last week's 5/3/1
Thursday: Bench top set 6@195, 5x10@115
Felt like I should have been able to do at least one more rep at that weight, but whatever.
Friday: Squat top set 5@285, 4x10@155, 1x10@165
It felt much heavier than I wanted it to.

Yesterday 5/3/1
OHP top set: 5@135 +2 push press, 4x6@65 +4 behind the neck, 1x10@65 +4 behind the neck
Gym was a zoo, full of meatheads that work out for the first two weeks of the semester then never step in the gym again. On rep 5 of my top set, as I had the bar at full extension overhead some idiot walked under the end of my barbell, screwing up my concentration. After I dropped the bar to my chest and told him to watch out, I switched to push press. On the second rep of push press a different idiot walked under the end of my barbell, so I ended the set at that.

Today 5/3/1
Deadlift top set: 8@365, 2x10@205, 2x10@215, 1x10@225
Lost count during the deadlift set, which is good, because I was super focused on the lift and maintaining my form. I'm pretty sure I did 8, and even had a little left in the tank. I'm really feeling good about my deadlifts, but we'll see how it goes when it starts to get heavy again.

I've also been making sure to get in more calories on lifting days and on the weekends. Peanut butter, cliff bars, and now twice weekly (on deadlift and squat days) protein shakes to the rescue. I'm relaxing my 8/16 IF a bit to make sure I'm getting all my calories, so it's turning to more of a 14-15 hour fast during the week and 12 hour fast on weekends. My weight dropped 5 lbs over 3 weeks as of last week, but it seems as though I've put 3 lbs back on since then.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:37 pm 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

Haha, Cliff Bars are so good aren't they ?!

Hope your back is healing up fast, how's things in general with you?

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:59 pm 
Gorilla

Back seems to be doing fine. I only get a little discomfort when I'm sitting in my car seat too long, or if I'm sitting on the floor or something similarly solid. In general I've been super busy at work, so everything else has been suffering a bit as well. It may well have been work stress that caused my lifting performance to tank last month. I'm coming from the deload and am happy with all my lifts so far. I like going back to slightly higher reps on the heavy sets.

5/3/1 Cycle 4

Last Thursday, Week 2
Bench: 6@195#, 5x10@120#
DB rows: 10@80, 10@70, 5@85, 3@90, 3@95, 12@100#
Right arm was lagging on the rows, needed to use a lot of body to get the last few reps up. Right arm's been bugging me for a few weeks off and on, noticing a lack of strength in upper right arm on rowing and pressing.

Last Friday, Week 2
Squat: 8@285#, 5x10@170#
Squats are coming along nicely.

Today, Week 3
Yesterday was Labor day so I combined yesterday's OHP day into today's deadlift day.
OHP: 5@140# +3 push press, 5x10@70, 1x10@70 behind the neck
Deadlift: 5x385#, 5x10@225#
A bit sad that my OHP has dropped as much as it has, but nothing to do other than work back up. I won't stop until I can press my own bodyweight. I probably won't stop after that either.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:33 pm 
Gorilla

Still here!

I haven't been checking in much lately. I'm still hitting the gym, trying to work back up to where I was. Hit another setback last month. I woke up one morning and my right shoulder was all out of whack. I noticed my right side acromion protruding a bit, significantly more so than my left side. I also found myself a bit weaker on all my upper body lifts, especially in my right arm. I had to drop all my upper body training maxes by 15%. I get occasionally soreness at the bottom of my right deltoid in my upper arm, but that's it. No pain, no range of motion difficulties. Just a loss of strength. Going to make an appointment with my doctor and get kicked around the referral chain for a bit, hopefully I can find out what the problem is.

Still following intermittent fasting, my weight is currently sitting around 206# at workout time (early/mid afternoon). Still doing the hypertrophy sets after my main lifts. I'm pretty happy with my form on all my lifts at this point. I've put in a lot of effort to get it down, and although my work weights are a little lower than what they previously were, I'm happy to be doing things right finally.

5/3/1 Cycle 5 Week 1 recap
OHP - 8@130#, 5x10@75#
Deadlift - 10@355#, 5x10@225#
Bench - 7@190#, 5x10@120#
DB row - 10@90#, 5x10@55#
Squat - 10@280#, 5x10@165#

Hope all is well out there with you guys in VBB&F land.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:51 pm 
Gorilla

Had a killer week in the gym. Crushed all my heavy sets and definitely feel like I'm on the comeback now from the deload. My upper body (especially chest) is still lagging a bit behind the lower on the progress, but I'm still happy with the way things are going. I think the chest issue stems from the sporadic muscle soreness in my upper right arm (not shoulder related, my shoulders are fine). Since I'm progressing on my weights and the problem seems to be getting slightly better (still getting stronger), I'm not sure what to do about it, other than bring it up at my next doctor's appointment.

My bodyweight today at workout time was 208.3#. Heaviest I've ever been. I've been eating a little more, and I'm sure the hypertrophy work over the last month is packing on some muscle. I don't think I'm really leaning out much. Still on IF 5 days/week.

5/3/1 Cycle 5 Week 2

OHP: 8@135#, 5x10@75#, Pullups: 6,6,6,5,6

Deadlift: 8@375#, 5x10@225#, Back raise: 5x10@BW+10#

Bench: 7@200#, 5x10@120#, DB rows: 15@100#, 5x10@60#

Squat: 9@295#, 5x10@175#

I've left a little in the tank each day on my heavy set, too. I probably could have hit one more rep on all of them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:27 pm 
Gorilla

5/3/1 Cycle 5 Week 3 recap

Lots of good lifts this week

OHP: 7@145#, 5x10@80#, Pullups: 2x5@BW (208#), 5@213#, 4@218#, 4@223#, 5@208#
Deadlift: 7@395#, 5x10@225#
Bench: 6@210#, 5x10@120#, DB Row: 8@110#
Squat: 7@310#, 2x10@175#

However, I screwed myself up somehow. I now have a pretty bad headache at the back base of my skull after squatting. On Tuesday I tried to change my breathing pattern on the deadlifts to breath at the bottom instead of at the top between reps. I found it very uncomfortable and much more difficult, but that might only be because I am used to breathing at the top. At the end of my last two x10 sets, I felt a bit of a headache at the back base of my skull, on my left side. It dissipated after a short while so I didn't think much of it. However, it came back today on squats. On the last rep of the heavy set I felt a minor headache in the same spot as I was straining. It went away pretty quickly. On the last rep of my first set I felt it again, but it was also minor and went away after a minute. At the end of my second x10 set, it happened again, but it was intense. The "scrunch your eyes up" intense kind of headache. I sat down for a couple minutes and waited it out a little, but this time it didn't subside quickly at all. I am still feeling it 35 minutes later, although it isn't painful anymore. I don't get headaches very often. Luckily next week is a deload week, so I'll take it extra easy and hopefully it is only a strained muscle that is causing the pain.

Oh yeah, and I weighed in at 209.4# at today's session. I'm gaining. Not quite sure where I want to go with this, though, although the side effect of being stronger is nice 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next