China Study 80/10/10???

I am a nutrition nut. I read constantly... lately I've been a little confused. There is a lot of advocates for 80/10/10 but I'm wondering if anyone here would disagree on protein with this plan... I currently eat whole foods vegan diet and I'm eliminating oils and reducing fat consumption for my cutting.... thoughts?

Everyone responds to varying macronutrient ratios differently - I'd feel like crap on 80/10/10 (similar macro plans years ago left me feeling bloated and sluggish all the time, I don't do massive amounts of carbohydrates well), but some people thrive on it. Only way to know if it will work for you is to experiment, but personally, I know it's a terrible plan for those like myself who fare much better with higher protein and fat intake and far lower on the carbohydrates.

I tried the 80/10/10 for about a month, as recommended in "The China Study" and "Whole". From personal experience, it didn't work well for me. My body reacted similarly to VeganEssentials; Bloating, low energy, sluggish. For the last few months I've been playing around with my diet by adding more fats and protein, and I feel much better. Just experiment and find out what makes you feel the best

Don't worry about the China Study. If you think that 80/10/10 might be right for you, then give it a shot just like any other diet. If it doesn't feel right or work well, then switch to something else. Different diets work for different people.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing 80 10 10, but most of my 80 is from starch foods (usually cooked)... ie. legumes, sweet potatoes, potatoes, squash, corn, oat rice and other grains (whole grains - nothing processed). I do include fruits and veggies in abundance as well ... but they are not mainstay of my plan. I'm feeling terrific with the plan so far (one month) and my sweet cravings are way down.

I should add that breast milk contains 6% protein and babies more than double their size in the first year on breast milk alone. We don't need as much as has been marketed to us. 10% should be more than adequate unless you have some sort of muscle wasting illness or are a burn victim.

I also think most people saying they are doing 80 10 10 are doing it fruit/veggie heavy rather than starch heavy. (and often raw). Starch has a slower energy release and is more filling than fruit, so imo it makes far more sense to focus on healthy starches. If you keep the processed foods in you will sabotage any progress you could have made on the plan.

I should add that breast milk contains 6% protein and babies more than double their size in the first year on breast milk alone. We don't need as much as has been marketed to us. 10% should be more than adequate unless you have some sort of muscle wasting illness or are a burn victim.

Babies also have wildly different metabolism (and biology in general) than adults. It's not a valid comparison.

Some people are going to build muscle better with higher protein. For others, 80/10/10 will be perfectly fine.

I think trying to juggle some magic number of protein fat and carbs is kinds useless. The only reason I would ever intentionally restrict any of them would be to cut most of the fat out to trim down. Other than that, I don't really get the point.

As long as I eat nutrient rich foods that I know make me feel good and give quality protein, just put them all together in a meal plan. If I get digestion or energy problems I tweak it to change that, but I never take percentages into account.

I roughly remember something that was said by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. He basically made the point that you can have wildly different amounts of carbs, protein and fat in two diets, and they could both be really good for you. I think he is on to something here. Technically speaking, I was under the assumption that you don't actually need carbs to survive. You absolutely need protein and fat though.