Good morning!

teanyrican

My friends call me Rae. I've been a vegetarian since December of 2003, and a vegan since September of 2004. I went veg at the advice of my surgeon (I was convalescing from a nasty back injury, and had gained weight due to my inability to walk and my horrible diet). It worked for a while, but once my diet became heavy with seafood, I gained more weight. Long story short, I got fed up and went vegan.

The change in my diet allowed me to drop a large amount of weight. Once I was able to be more active, I ended up losing a total of 50 lbs. I still have a long way to go. I'm convinced that going vegan also aided in my recovery. While I still suffer from back pain now and then (mostly when the weather's bad), I'm able to walk, dance, and just plain stand again.

I joined this forum hoping to make new friends, and keep myself motivated. I don't always get the support I want or need here at home, and while I've done well without it, encouraging words and friendly advice is something any normal human being longs for.

I live in NJ (though I'm originally from NY). My life revolves around my art & music, my adopted guinea pig Noah, and my sweetheart. It's really late (or early, depending how you look at it), and I don't have much else to say. I hope this intro wasn't too long. Thanks for reading. Take care.

Hi Rae,

welcome to VBB! We are an inviting bunch, one of which (that would be me) due to a cold sounds like Kermit the Frog doing an impression of Don Corleone... not a pretty sight!!

Thank you very much.

I hope you feel better soon!

Hi Rae,

welcome!!!

Congratulations with your results!! and good luck to get more results!!

hope you find some support and fun on this site!!

take care

Thanks bunches!

Welcome Rae!

Great to see you on here. I'm sure you'll make new friends within this group. I have, and it has been great. I can travel all over the US and various parts of the world and know someone from the forum who lives there

We have a few local meet-ups in different regions as well. We just had one in Germany and one in L.A. a couple of weeks ago. We have a bigger one in L.A. later on this year, which should be really cool.

Have a great time on the forum, welcome aboard!

It addressed two issues that matter a lot to me, at once so I just had to pick it.

Aye Me too. The issues that get to me the most are racism and sexism...but it's just a hop-skip-and-a-jump to speciesism; though many don't make the connection.

Glad to have New Jersey represented here; I think you may be the first ?

Welcome to the forum. I used to live in NJ about 10 years ago. I live in VA now. Where in NJ do you live? I last lived in Pennsville but I was born and raised in NJ so I have lived many places there.

Good luck with the veganism and the working out. I am failry new here myself.

Leslie