Consuming Enough Protein on a Raw Food Diet

Scott

Hi Scott,

Sorry i know this post was to Redsox, but i watched the video myself..

The individual Danny Daltan, indeed is in decent shape for a man of he's age, he doesn't overtraining which is also a good. (i know you mentioned this) but it disputes me when he talks about how over a 2 year period he lost a considerable amount of weight (including healthy weight) switching to a raw food diet, to the point were his family were becoming concerned for his well being, he states himself, he couldn't even look at himself in the mirror it got that ugly, a registered dietitian would called that an eating disorder.

He states that this was due to his body detoxifying, i would disagree with that, whether he realizes it or not, modern man's/homo sapiens digestive system has not evolved to have the capacity to digest huge quantities of raw foods, It shows this in the video i posted in early in this thread.

Now, he has rebuilt hes body, and looks like hes in good shape, i suspect his body has possibly began to adapt to this extreme change of lifestyle, but imo, the average trainee / person does not need to put the body through such an ordeal to become healthier.

I must point out, i am not against having some raw foods in one's diet, its perfectly healthy, but there are also plenty of perfectly good healthy nutritious food's, raw foodist's are missing out on simply because those food's need to be cooked. I fear there's more to it than just cooking food for the raw foodist, many off them talk about being "at one with nature" or "more spiritual", i have no issues with this, whatever makes them happy, they're doing me no harm, but i wont mistake what their saying as real information.

Rob,

I certainly respect what you're saying but disagree with your comment that it's not "real" information. There are plenty of people out there aside from Danny who not only follow but thrive on a raw vegan diet and there are numerous cases where people have successfully overcome chronic disease due to this way of eating. Certainly it isn't the only way, but to say it's not real is false as people do it daily. Perhaps it doesn't line up with your personal beliefs yes, but to say it isn't real information is a stretch. Plenty of people consume large amounts of raw food on a daily basis and seem to process and digest it just fine. I know many people don't have the same success - I think due to individual's own unique biochemistry would have a greater affect on how they process foods whether they be cooked or raw. Oh, and registered dietitians? Considering some still recommend the classic "food pyramid" I'll try not to mistake what they all say as "real information" either!

Please don't take this post as argumentative, just sharing my thoughts on the topic!

Best,

Scott

Not a all mate, no worries:)

Sorry Scott, i should have been more specific when i said "real info", i'm not talking about the raw food diet itself, i'm talking about when raw foodist being talking about being "more spiritual", and being "at one with nature" from following such an eating plan.

Indeed there are scientist and raw foodist's who will disagree with my opinion, and visa versa, which is fine, however some of the points i made are not subjective. As to how some individuals digestive system can tolerate such eating habits is beyond me, just as how my grandfather was able to smoke 20-30 cigarettes a day from the age of 15 to the age of 98 and not get cancer or have a stroke or heart attack..lol

Best

Rob

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly respect what you're saying but disagree with your comment that it's not "real" information. There are plenty of people out there aside from Danny who not only follow but thrive on a raw vegan diet and there are numerous cases where people have successfully overcome chronic disease due to this way of eating.

"Due to" is your problem there. There's no evidence it was "due to" this way of eating. They have a belief, maybe, but it's based on correlation, not evidence.

Certainly it isn't the only way, but to say it's not real is false as people do it daily. Perhaps it doesn't line up with your personal beliefs yes, but to say it isn't real information is a stretch. Plenty of people consume large amounts of raw food on a daily basis and seem to process and digest it just fine. I know many people don't have the same success - I think due to individual's own unique biochemistry would have a greater affect on how they process foods whether they be cooked or raw. Oh, and registered dietitians? Considering some still recommend the classic "food pyramid" I'll try not to mistake what they all say as "real information" either!

It's "real" information, but it's anecdotal and uncontrolled, so it's not worth much. I think it's pretty well accepted that people can live fine on a raw vegan diet, sure. It's just when other claims come in that things get sketchy. Curing diseases, "detoxifying," etc. Humans, nearly all of us, are incredibly stupid when it comes to correlation and confirmation bias.

That's a bunch of BS-look at the work of Dr Gabriel Cousens and what he's done with diabetics using a raw food diet. He was an MD who became a naturopathic physician when he realized prescribing meds wasn't curing diabetes. Now he regularly gets diabetics off their meds and blood sugar in the normal range through a raw food approach. But then again it could be "due to" the weather in the SW USA where his center is located.... Using a predominately raw diet with a heavy emphasis on juicing comes from Dr. Gerson and his years of work and research with his patients. How about Dr. Esselstyne using a plant based diet to reverse disease in his cardiac patients? Not enough double blind placebo controlled peer reviewed studies there for you there either?

Scott

Hi Scott,

Sorry i know this post was to Redsox, but i watched the video myself..

The individual Danny Daltan, indeed is in decent shape for a man of he's age, he doesn't overtraining which is also a good. (i know you mentioned this) but it disputes me when he talks about how over a 2 year period he lost a considerable amount of weight (including healthy weight) switching to a raw food diet, to the point were his family were becoming concerned for his well being, he states himself, he couldn't even look at himself in the mirror it got that ugly, a registered dietitian would called that an eating disorder.

He states that this was due to his body detoxifying, i would disagree with that, whether he realizes it or not, modern man's/homo sapiens digestive system has not evolved to have the capacity to digest huge quantities of raw foods, It shows this in the video i posted in early in this thread.

Now, he has rebuilt hes body, and looks like hes in good shape, i suspect his body has possibly began to adapt to this extreme change of lifestyle, but imo, the average trainee / person does not need to put the body through such an ordeal to become healthier.

I must point out, i am not against having some raw foods in one's diet, its perfectly healthy, but there are also plenty of perfectly good healthy nutritious food's, raw foodist's are missing out on simply because those food's need to be cooked. I fear there's more to it than just cooking food for the raw foodist, many off them talk about being "at one with nature" or "more spiritual", i have no issues with this, whatever makes them happy, they're doing me no harm, but i wont mistake what their saying as real information.

Rob,

I certainly respect what you're saying but disagree with your comment that it's not "real" information. There are plenty of people out there aside from Danny who not only follow but thrive on a raw vegan diet and there are numerous cases where people have successfully overcome chronic disease due to this way of eating. Certainly it isn't the only way, but to say it's not real is false as people do it daily. Perhaps it doesn't line up with your personal beliefs yes, but to say it isn't real information is a stretch. Plenty of people consume large amounts of raw food on a daily basis and seem to process and digest it just fine. I know many people don't have the same success - I think due to individual's own unique biochemistry would have a greater affect on how they process foods whether they be cooked or raw. Oh, and registered dietitians? Considering some still recommend the classic "food pyramid" I'll try not to mistake what they all say as "real information" either!

Please don't take this post as argumentative, just sharing my thoughts on the topic!

Best,

Scott

Not a all mate, no worries:)

Sorry Scott, i should have been more specific when i said "real info", i'm not talking about the raw food diet itself, i'm talking about when raw foodist being talking about being "more spiritual", and being "at one with nature" from following such an eating plan.

Indeed there are scientist and raw foodist's who will disagree with my opinion, and visa versa, which is fine, however some of the points i made are not subjective. As to how some individuals digestive system can tolerate such eating habits is beyond me, just as how my grandfather was able to smoke 20-30 cigarettes a day from the age of 15 to the age of 98 and not get cancer or have a stroke or heart attack..lol

Best

Rob

I don't think food choices make you more spiritual, but I do think the majority of people I meet who follow a plant based diet-raw or not-tend to have a deeper connection to the environment and all living things. As far as food making you spiritual, hell in Alan Watt's book "The Way of Zen" he states that on the eve of the Buddha's enlightenment he "gave up, he relaxed his ascetic diet and simply ate some nourishing food." LOL

That's a bunch of BS-look at the work of Dr Gabriel Cousens and what he's done with diabetics using a raw food diet. He was an MD who became a naturopathic physician when he realized prescribing meds wasn't curing diabetes. Now he regularly gets diabetics off their meds and blood sugar in the normal range through a raw food approach. But then again it could be "due to" the weather in the SW USA where his center is located.... Using a predominately raw diet with a heavy emphasis on juicing comes from Dr. Gerson and his years of work and research with his patients. How about Dr. Esselstyne using a plant based diet to reverse disease in his cardiac patients? Not enough double blind placebo controlled peer reviewed studies there for you there either?

Well now, after mentioning Cousens, I think you might just be kidding around. He claims to be a homeopath and "reiki master," and I'm not aware of him providing any actual evidence that he can get diabetics off insulin outside of the Simply Raw documentary, which is, frankly, a mess (http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/simply-raw-making-overcooked-claims-about-raw-food-diets/). He can make all the claims he wants, but until he provides actual evidence, they're meaningless.

As for Esselstyn, that's correct, not enough studies. In fact, Esselstyn goes beyond simple lack of evidence into the realm of dishonesty, brushing over the fact that in his research he puts his subjects on statins, instead claiming all the effects -- which are dubious anyway -- are due to diet. And yes, his work is uncontrolled. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7500065)

I'm not saying that diet can't have dramatic effects on health. Of course it can. Depending on the person and diet, it can reduce the need for medications, including insulin. It can certainly reduce the risk and severity of heart disease. However, truly drastic changes are rare, and the same diet isn't going to work for everyone. Raw foods aren't a panacea. This is why we do the research and collect actual evidence. Otherwise we'd have a thousand different ineffective treatments for every ailment.

Well now, after mentioning Cousens, I think you might just be kidding around. He claims to be a homeopath and "reiki master," and I'm not aware of him providing any actual evidence that he can get diabetics off insulin outside of the Simply Raw documentary, which is, frankly, a mess (http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/simply-raw-making-overcooked-claims-about-raw-food-diets/). He can make all the claims he wants, but until he provides actual evidence, they're meaningless.

As for Esselstyn, that's correct, not enough studies. In fact, Esselstyn goes beyond simple lack of evidence into the realm of dishonesty, brushing over the fact that in his research he puts his subjects on statins, instead claiming all the effects -- which are dubious anyway -- are due to diet. And yes, his work is uncontrolled. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7500065)

I'm not saying that diet can't have dramatic effects on health. Of course it can. Depending on the person and diet, it can reduce the need for medications, including insulin. It can certainly reduce the risk and severity of heart disease. However, truly drastic changes are rare, and the same diet isn't going to work for everyone. Raw foods aren't a panacea. This is why we do the research and collect actual evidence. Otherwise we'd have a thousand different ineffective treatments for every ailment.

Wow - I wasn't aware. Thanks!!!