Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Super Serious Soon
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:52 am 
Rabbit

Hello there everybody. I glanced at this website several times, end up here a lot when googling vegan nutrition type questions.

I am 23 years old, but still a baby as far as bding vegan. I started just before Christmas 2011 and the look of horror on my mother's face when I refused to eat her holiday meals was both heart wrenching and rewarding. Not that I have never slipped up. There have been a handful of times where I did eat something I shouldn't have. But every time, my body and mind reinforce how bad this stuff is, and I have less desire to indulge each time.

I have always been interested in dieting and nutrition and am currently saving for college to switch majors (business to dietetics). My fascination with deiting and nutrition was the offspring of wanting to be a bodybuilder. When I was in middle shcool, I was mesmerized by the powerful figures I saw in WWE wrestling. I would watch every episode and do bush ups, sit ups, and back ups in front of the T.V., as many as I could! By the time I got to high school, I was certain that I would be a bodybuilder. I ate big, lifted big and always lifted with the guys in school who were bigger and older than me. This was a valuable approach; even though I was not a football player, I was stronger than nearly everyone in the school. I did wrestle for a year; they called me Thunder Thighs lol. At some point I decided to focus on more strength than size. For me, the increases in size always came with significant strength increases anyway. I think there were 4 guys stronger than me when I graduated high school, and two had already taken steroids.

Then I graduated and stopped working out religiously. Then three and a half years later, after just beginning to get serious again, I learned about veganism. I had to make a choice that day to stop hurting animals, even though I have slipped up a few times, I feel great! Unfortunately, I have not had a stable job (but that is all going to change soon) so for the last year and a half, I have not been dedicated like I should be. I want to get back in the gym, with an attitude. I want to get back to repping 225 on bench and 375 on squat... I was a 185 lb meat eater around 18% body fat back then. Now I am 160lb 13% body fat without even working out, just eating tons of vegan food without even thinking! I just eat until I am full. I know the muscle memory is there! I just need to re-dedicate myself.

Since High school, I have actually ran into quite a few guys who are now bigger than me. A handful more have taken roids too. They all take this, that and the other workout supplements, but I don't really believe in a lot of supplements, as I value a (mostly) natural approach. Protein (70%rice, 30%pea) powder and BCAA are the only supplements I feel are very valuable. The only other would be my homemade garlic juice pills (energy boost). All of these friends want me to get back in the gym, either because they want me to prove that you can get big on a vegan diet, or just want to see me do it.

So here I am, just a young guy with limited experience and education. But I do have determination and a cause. I want to build a powerful and muscular body with only natural ingredients, and a CHEAP vegan diet. So I already put together the cheapest meal plan I could think of (sunflower seeds, quinoa, raisins, oats, multivitamin, protein powder, BCAA, blackstrap molasses, water). I started doing one leg squats, pull ups, dips (using furniture), push ups and sit ups today.

Any advice for training or dieting is much appreciated! Thanks for reading.

Post subject: Re: Super Serious Soon
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:26 pm 
VBB Moderator

Hi and welcome to the group. I always suggest you will get a lot more responses to your questions if you post them directly to other members threads, training journals are a good section for that I'd say. Find some people that are having success and do what they're doing.

-Dylan