The FNG

Airman265

Hello All,

My name is Morris Thomas and I'm joining the Vegan world starting now. I had to take some serious considerations before starting but I just cant deny the truth anymore. My health has suffered and its time to make a change. not just that, but Gary Yourofsky really hit home in his youtube video. I watched a few documentaries and read a very interesting book called "The China Study". Im sold, but it will be a challenge.

I am the only one in my house who will be doing this new lifestyle. My spouse is a religious meat eater from the south who deep fries everything! So it will be a challenge for me that I will conquer. Im working on her, but she may have to realize herself how unhappy her lifestyle is.

I am tired of the bro- science at the gym that gets pushed on me the whole "eat 9 pounds of dead flesh a day" routine has failed me. I was a 185 pound vegetarian wrestler in 2007. then I became a 290 pound meat eater filled with bor cience and lies. I dont think Ill ever see 185 again, but I have kept my bodyfat below 20 percent and have a good base to press on, being a vegan will only make me stronger.

I serve in the Air force, where I excell as a Seargeant. But its getting hard to keep up with my peers, this bulky body I have really puts a damper on things. I maintain a very high standard, but it shouldnt be this hard. Im hoping the vegan lifestyle will make me loose the access anifal fat in my system, as well as bring me a sense of peace knowing I am doing the least amount of harm possible to my environment.

Please give any advice and insight you can as I am a open minded person. just make sure you can provide a source to your info I can see.

Hello Morris and welcome aboard. I'm the only one in my household who is vegan too.. I think a lot of us are in the same boat. So although you are alone, you're not really alone. I've incorporated small changes for my spouse that he can handle.. like spinach smoothies (with banana and berries so he doesn't get scared away).

Gary Yourofsky did it for me too... particularly the video he showed of the dairy operation.

I thought Colin T. Campbell's book Whole was better than China Study. Makes you look at health and science very differently. I took that book out of the library and read it 3 times actually. So if you are looking for your next book to read you might like that one.

Discovering new recipes that you love and crave really makes it easier so don't be afraid to experiment with your cooking/eating. You might even show your wife some 'veganized' southern recipes... if she likes to cook she may be convinced to give them a go. That being said... be careful because there is a lot of vegan food that is not at all healthy. I'm sure that is not the route you are looking to go.

For best results, make sure you follow recommendations on VeganHealth.

Hi Morris, welcome to the "vegan world" that's funny. You're right, you definitely have some challenges ahead of you. Sounds like you are getting some good information and going at things the right way, I'm sure you'll get to where you want to be, just keep yourself motivated and working hard.

-Dylan