Hi from Germany

EdensDemise

Hey everybody,

My name is Raimondo i am almost 22 yrs old, born and raised in Italy, but now living in Berlin.

I became vegetarian when i was 14 and vegan when i was 18 and straight edge since 2 years.

I started to go to gym one month ago because i am really fascinated from the bodybuilding world, but i tried to ask opinions to people and the only answer i get is YOU SHOULD EAT MEAT VEGANS DONT TAKE ENOUGH PROTEINS BLA BLA BLA so i wanted to talk and ask infos and tips to other vegan mates all over the world that are into bodybuilding or at least gym and weights.

I started gym without watching so much the diet, of course i took proteins but was irregular, so since 2 weeks i am trying to find a good way for my diet.

I am 180cm tall and in this moment i am 76kg, i train 3 times every week for 1 hour and a half each time, i am not so much into cardio at the beginning of the training so i just make 10 minutes of cyclette and the rest i do it at the end, the rest is all weights, weight-machines and "machines" for abs (all the name and the way i do them i will write it tomorrow so i have the complete list). after the training i drink a big soy-milkshake with fruits and sun warrior protein powder.

I walk at least 4 hours at day, i am not a big fan of running because i like to spend the day walking in the nature parks and woods and enjoy them (i dont take metros etc.)

I eat at least 4-5 times at day. For example today i ate:

breakfast- soy milkshake with raspberries and sun warrior protein powder

pre lunch- watermelon, 4 rice cakes

lunch- 200 gr of tofu

snack - 250 gr of strawberries

dinner- 100gr of tempeh with 225 gr of brown beans

when i train i take protein milkshake twice at day.

Tell me what do you think

Thank you so much,

Raimondo

Hey Raimondo,

Thanks for joining the site. Looks like you are getting enough protein to maintain/build muscle - do you think you are getting enough carbs? I find that I get really worn out if I don't have enough carbs from fruit.

I'd be interested to see your training routine. Mind posting some more detail? Check out exrx.net for some great info, and more variety in exercises.

ok i try to explain my training:

10-15 minutes cyclette

biceps barbell curl (15kg for now) 10 x 3

barbell squat (15kg) 10 x 3

Lat pulldown- behind nack- 25 kg 15 x 3

seated row machine 25kg 15 x 3

cable pullover 25kg 15 x 3

sit up bench 20 x 3

roman chair leg raises for abs 15 x 3

cable curls 25 kg 15 x 3

chest fly machine 15kg 10 x 3

leg press 30kg 20 x 3

machine reverse fly 15kg 10 x 3

gluteus machine 30kg 20 x 3 each legs

10 minutes cyclette again

plus other exercises i dont remember

anyway for example today my eating day was:

milkshake with raspberries and sun warrior powder

100gr tempeh

a plate of brokkoli with 200 gr soia schnetzel (they have 49 gr of proteins each 100 gr) with coconut milk-curry sauce and 50gr of pumpkin seeds

big milkshake with strawberry (no protein powders)

i will eat now 4 spelt cakes (not real cakes but these ones http://fddb.info/static/db/400/320/7VK0VS5LGO3770I0BGTRQOF4_278x208.jpg) and later another soy-milkshakewith protein powders.

tomorrow i will eat a big vegan pizza i chose to eat carbs only once at week. is it ok?

Edited by EdensDemise

Hi Raimondo, and welcome!

I must say I'm a bit jealous ... I wish we had enough nature trails near us to be able to spend that much time on them. It must be great. It looks like you do a lot of training, too!

Well just wanted to say hello, and welcome aboard!

eheh true but th weather sometimes is silly.. today i trained but im a bit lazy because it's grey outside so i am not so motivated..

Hi Raimondo,

Welcome to the community here. Question for you, how is straight edge defined in Italy and or in Germany were you now are? I'm curious if there are differences between the practices of straight edgers in Europe vs those in the US?

-Dylan

• 2 weeks later...
i guess both the limitations and the reasoning, just curious.

i dont know it depends from the "scene" of people, in the hardcore punk scene most of the people just take the 3 rules of no smoke no drink no drugs, but they drink coffeine, energy drinks and crap like that, the reasoning is the same, in berlin there is a big sxe community but is justabout...well being drug free, they donthave such a big political mindset behind that, i mean yeah they are antifascist but it seems more like a fashion.

they have the t-shirts (berlin straight edge), the concerts, the flyers they want to show that in berlin there is a big community of militant people and stuff like this, they have a straight edge bar, which i think is merely stupid, you refuse the bar culture the uselessness of just being sit and drinking and drinking, but at the same time you do the same thing but in a alcoholfree way?

Personally i was happy when first i came to live in berlin because it was a big thing, but then i realised they are not so much into it, no one talks about the agriculture of tobacco and coffee that is destroying the planet, or the animal tests for the cigarettes, the alcohol culture that is bringing people to self-annihilation, or abuse and exploitation of people in cocaine fields etc etc. but well i think is like this everywhere.

hi, welcome to the forums

are your goals to gain muscle or to lose weight? (or both)

just asking because your meal plan example looks like it hasnt got a whole lot of calories in it, i think 200gr tofu, the watermelon and strawberries are all pretty low calories

anyway good luck

• 2 weeks later...
i guess both the limitations and the reasoning, just curious.

i dont know it depends from the "scene" of people, in the hardcore punk scene most of the people just take the 3 rules of no smoke no drink no drugs, but they drink coffeine, energy drinks and crap like that, the reasoning is the same, in berlin there is a big sxe community but is justabout...well being drug free, they donthave such a big political mindset behind that, i mean yeah they are antifascist but it seems more like a fashion.

they have the t-shirts (berlin straight edge), the concerts, the flyers they want to show that in berlin there is a big community of militant people and stuff like this, they have a straight edge bar, which i think is merely stupid, you refuse the bar culture the uselessness of just being sit and drinking and drinking, but at the same time you do the same thing but in a alcoholfree way?

Personally i was happy when first i came to live in berlin because it was a big thing, but then i realised they are not so much into it, no one talks about the agriculture of tobacco and coffee that is destroying the planet, or the animal tests for the cigarettes, the alcohol culture that is bringing people to self-annihilation, or abuse and exploitation of people in cocaine fields etc etc. but well i think is like this everywhere.

Interesting points. I am around straight edge people very often when my band tours, but it's not something I would consider myself, I enjoy alcohol too much. Next time we play Berlin I will give you a message and we can meet at the show maybe.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, im travelling to Wiesbaden and Koln next week for work and in europe for a month, i cant seem to find any info on supplement stores in these cities, nor any chain stores in europe to grab the bare essentials while travelling/ training where possible.

any help would be really great

thanks!!