most hated lift/machine/exercise and the most loved ones

Create and maintain your own personal online journal. Log your meals and/or workouts, and monitor your progress. Hold yourself accountable and receive support, suggestions, and be open to feedback.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

EdensDemise
Manatee

most hated lift/machine/exercise and the most loved ones

#1 Postby EdensDemise » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:45 am

i dont know if there is another topic like this, but anyway i am curious to know what is the lifting exercise or machine at the gym you hate the most, and of course the one you enjoy more.
Personally i would say i love squat and generally the exercises for shoulder and back, i hate totally lunges with dumbbell and dumbbell curls(even if barbell curls is not that bad), the reason i hate the first one is because i feel like is useless and boring, the second one is because i am always afraid to work more the shoulders than the biceps when i lift the weights up. :evil:

let me know about yours i am curious :D
Respect for nature and innocent life, the end of human over human oppression. A peaceful world can evolve after animal liberation.

muchidna
Manatee

Re: most hated lift/machine/exercise and the most loved ones

#2 Postby muchidna » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:13 am

i like leg press and leg exercises, aswell as cardio on an incline or resistance on bike that makes you feel like a brick after 10 minutes

least fav would have to be lat pulldown, i don't mind the exercise, i just didn't know correct form at the start and kept straining my shoulders

i probably have reversed favorites to most people, i know alot of people don't like leg and core, i like both

Think_machine
Rabbit

#3 Postby Think_machine » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:10 am

Barbell squats are my favorite because strong legs radiate strength to the rest of your body. For a lift I really hate crunches because I feel they are mainly superficial and the pump does not feel like other muscles. I hate 95% of machines equally for roo many reasons but the main one is that as a healthy person they are typically useless compared to free weight when it comes to real world strength. For exercise in general I hate cardio because I jist quit smoking and I used to be asthmatic at the same time before going vegan (i think it was dairy).

EdensDemise
Manatee

#4 Postby EdensDemise » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:18 pm

Think_machine wrote:Barbell squats are my favorite because strong legs radiate strength to the rest of your body. For a lift I really hate crunches because I feel they are mainly superficial and the pump does not feel like other muscles. I hate 95% of machines equally for roo many reasons but the main one is that as a healthy person they are typically useless compared to free weight when it comes to real world strength. For exercise in general I hate cardio because I jist quit smoking and I used to be asthmatic at the same time before going vegan (i think it was dairy).

:D true, crunches and habs exercises in general dont give me such a big feeling of an effort made.
anyway yeah barbell squat seems like the best execise, even if it took a few times before to understand the right posture and stuff
Respect for nature and innocent life, the end of human over human oppression. A peaceful world can evolve after animal liberation.

muchidna
Manatee

#5 Postby muchidna » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:50 am

main reason i like legs is because they are biggest muscle in the body, and it feels nice to flex and stretch them

Think_machine
Rabbit

#6 Postby Think_machine » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:59 am

I find it interesting that we all love the leg workouts and yet sooooo many people neglect their legs in the gym. I suppose it is a pretty good indicator of who is doing it for true health and fitness goals rather than superficially chasing ornament muscles. I can't stand looking at chicken legged guys in the gym who only work upper body.

vegan_rossco
Batman

#7 Postby vegan_rossco » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:03 am

All machines suck!
Compound free weights all the way!
klaatu21 wrote:sensai ross, forgive me for doubting you and myself

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:There's only one thing I'm riding at 6am, and it's not a bike!

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29098
http://www.facebook.com/ross.d.cosgrove

EdensDemise
Manatee

#8 Postby EdensDemise » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:24 am

vegan_rossco wrote:All machines suck!
Compound free weights all the way!

true. i started with a machinebased training 1month ago and i can say that was borin and that i wasted 1month doing nothing good for the muscles. the only machine i like is the lat machine, for the rest i prefere dumbbells and barbell exercises, i fell like they are working better the body

EdensDemise
Manatee

#9 Postby EdensDemise » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:27 am

Think_machine wrote:I find it interesting that we all love the leg workouts and yet sooooo many people neglect their legs in the gym. I suppose it is a pretty good indicator of who is doing it for true health and fitness goals rather than superficially chasing ornament muscles. I can't stand looking at chicken legged guys in the gym who only work upper body.

ahahahaha chicken legs :lol: the most unsexy thing

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#10 Postby HIT Rob » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:15 pm

Personally i like machine's, they've allowed me to work around a few bad injuries. But the main reason i prefer them is so that none of my effort is lost on balance and coordination, i want to focus ALL my efforts on the intense contraction's, not on developing a specific skill.

For Legs, my preference is a seated leverage style leg press such as hammer offer, this machine has allow me to fill out my legs without causing my lower back any discomfort (i've 2 herniated disc's).

upper body pulling: the Underhand grip pulldown has been a mainstay of mine for 2 decades, it works almost everything in the upper body. Ive also found hammer or life fitness chest supported rows to be very productive.

Upper body pushing: Hammer seated chest press machine's are my favorite's (incline and decline), certain military press machine's can also be good.

Isolation / single joint exercises: pec deck or cable crossover for the chest, these movements provide full resistance in the contraction position (something that D-B flyes don't do), i also like leg extension's and machine pullovers as pre-exhaustion exercise's for the quads and back (the machine pullover provide's resistance through a greater range of motion, compered to a D-B or BB pullover). Machine lateral raises, preacher curl machine, and calf presses are also favorite's of mine.

Least favorite exercises...

Incline leg press machines and flat benching: these movement's greatly increase intra-cranial pressure (not a good thing when you've had a stroke).

Best
Rob

Return to “Online Training Journals & Blogs”