Synny's training journal

I just got home from the 10k. My goal was 75 min and I did it in 80 min but official time hasn't been posted that I can find. It had a nasty hill to run up and down and found out my shoes are no good for my feet and long distances. Thinking of switching to a minimalist but running store insists I go with a heavier cushiony shoe. Want to try the minimalist around an indoor track and treadmill before I try the heavier shoe.... Any thoughts MF?????

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

So it has been almost 2 months since I have posted. I wasn't in the right head space to be logging but am getting better. Goin on a 3 day smoothie binge. Made some fresh carrot beet juice and cucumber celery juice for my lunch and dinner smoothies and breakfast will be a yummy mixed berry smoothie. Gave up on my half marathon dream because I wasn't recovering or making any progress.... I did manage to get a new personal best just last week on deadlifting 230 lbs!

Well done on the run, sounded tough !! Good work in sticking with it.

My 2c on the shoes, go to a running store that can check your gait, foot strike etc and match you up with a shoe that is right for you. Minimalist shoes are great ~ if you are a Kenyan or someone that has never worn shoes with support and/or heel cushioning. I tried to go the minimalist route and after 3wks I wasn't able to run, your tendons and connective tissues, tendons and ligaments are forced to adapt to the changes and subsequently will tighten up. Achilles tears are not uncommon and I believe I was also pretty close to doing that myself.

If you are still convinced that is the route you want to go, buy a pair and WALK in them for at least 100km. Vibrams are great as they're based on barefoot running but you still have some protection and a little more stability that being shoe-less. Just my 2c of course, take care and I look forward to hearing how things are going for you. Take care and keep up the great work !!

I didn't go with any new shoes.... I have only started trying to run again and when I do I hurt bad for days. I have 3 5ks left for the season and will be forcing myself to run them. No amount of stretching or warming up helps either. So not sure if running will be in the future any longer.... Smoothie binge not so yummy as I am not a beet fan and am using beets in 2 smoothies a day. Oh well I will use them up since I had to have them lol

Ok so got to thinking.... I need to start doing HIIT but dread the idea of burning myself out on it. So thinking 2 days on HIIT and 1 day low intensity hill training repeat. Apparently I am just starting to tap into my strength cause I did bench dips with my feet up on a bench and hammer curled 40 lbs

Sidelined since Friday... Seems I went and got me a compression fracture in a vertebrae.... Been in bed since. Seeing orthopedic dr tomorrow to find out for certain and what my options are. Most importantly if I will be able to resume work as a cna.... Pretty scared right now.

Sidelined since Friday... Seems I went and got me a compression fracture in a vertebrae.... Been in bed since. Seeing orthopedic dr tomorrow to find out for certain and what my options are. Most importantly if I will be able to resume work as a cna.... Pretty scared right now.

Well I hope it's not to serious! I had a serious back injury last year. I know it can be a very difficult to handle and rehab. I wish you luck with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news is no fracture just some compression. Spent 2 weeks resting and finally started back to the gym yesterday. Doing daily yoga, 5k running training and some light lifting. Granted by the end of the day my back is a bit mad but I luckily have some pills left to help

Done resting back to my lifting. Not at the epic weights yet but ya know I really didn't lose that much strength yay! However my huge problem is that with others buying me food my choices haven't exactly been vegan.... Still vegetarian but far from vegan. Still not working and not sure when the dr will allow me so looking at a career change. I gotta get some money coming in so I can buy my food! Running dangerously low on the items I was able to buy before I got hurt... Today was the first day back to heavier weights not Barbie weights... BTW my old clothes are starting to fit again! Liking the weight loss and keeping my strength

• 3 weeks later...