Runners knee injury. How to build toned legs ?

Hi Everyone!

My name is Natasha! I'm an E.R Nurse, aspiring raw food chef and fitness fanatic recently deciding to go 100% vegan AND compete in my first bikini competition in a few months. Im seeking out excercises to tone legs, build muscle etc. for someone who has chondromalacia (softening or knee cartilage and wearing away) in both knees from running for so many years / Doing squats and lunges are pretty much a big no no for me. What other excercises can I do to get nice and toned legs for competing? I have seen some straight legged lifts using a resistance band and possibly upping the resistance on the stationary bike...but what else? Any youtube videos or pointers would be great! I want those toned, curvy thighs and tight buns of steel

Thanks!

Hi natasha, you should go to your gym and see what machines they have, may also want to look into something like yoga, and kalesthenics (not sure how it's spelled)

you may also like to look into some ab exercises as alot of those involve the leg muscles

If you can do single-leg Romanian deadlifts without pain you could add them. They target the hamstrings and glutes. Or do the normal, double-leg, variety.

front leg raises - keeping your leg straight - activate parts of the quads, which could help with definition. The same with side leg raises. You could use ankle weights.

If you have episodes of inflammation, herbal anti-inflammatories such as ginger, turmeric and red chilli peppers could help. Test a small portion first in case they don't agree with you. Turmeric is best in dishes with a bit of added black pepper and oil as these two help the curcumin in turmeric to be absorbed.

If you're taking any drugs check that these substances won't interfere with them.

Good luck!